multicore rendering - half life 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sir Galahad, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Has anyone else noticed that the multicore rendering option in half life 2 actually reduces the FPS performance of the game?

Using fraps I’ve noticed that turning the multicore rendering on reduces the FPS by about 3 or 4. Not much, but surely it should increase the performance not decrease it.

And if my graphics card was bottle necking (which it is) wouldn't the fps just stay the same?

2. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    Does this option enables multiple GPU-s or multiple CPU cores?

3. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    It enables Multi CPU cores.

Although if it was multi GPU that would be great because there are 2 GPUs in the 7950GX2.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    to my knowledge, multi-core rendering in every source game other then DODS, CSS, TF2, L4D1/2, are not the performance increasing multi-core rendering, they are the experimental multi-core rendering and old technology, which is why it is almost all the time defaulted to off

Basically, it's the first multi-core rendering added into the game and not optimized worth anything and due to this actually decreases performance depending on your PC setup aswell as what is being rendered, only the multi-player games have gotten the (recent) performance boost

The reason L4D1/2 are not listed there is because they are on a slightly different engine and to my knowledge have a different implementation of multi-core rendering that is working just fine for the type of game it is, same with Alien Swarm

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea dont use it, its bugged just like in Portal, noticeable fps drop.

Its ok in Tf2 or l4d2..