Multi Monitor support for OSD

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Emil, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Emil

Emil Member

GPU:
    ZotacGTX 1080 AMP Extreme
    By courtesy of MSI Afterburner & RivaTuner Statistics Server Developers we have tools that enable OSD support for multiple monitors :) Special thanks to Unwinder !!!

[​IMG]

New modules enabling such functionality:
    - SDK tool - DesktopOverlayHost
    - Profile switch - ShowForegroundStat

DesktopOverlayHost key features:
    - open source tool
    - simple blank borderless 3D window
    - adjustable size, background color, position, transparency
    - chroma keying support

What is the ShowForegroundStat ?
    It is a module that allowing any 3D application to display foreground 3D process framerate and frametime statistics instead of application’s own ones.

What is needed ?
    Rivatuner Statistics Server version 7.3.0 Beta 6 or later + of course MSI Afterburner

How to start DesktopOverlayHost ?
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\SDK\Tools\DesktopOverlayHost\Release and run DesktopOverlayHost.exe (I recommend creating a shortcut on the desktop).

How to use ShowForegroundStat ?
    This module is an inseparable component of DesktopOverlayHost and runs automatically when DesktopOverlayHost.exe is launched.
    The current framerate and frametime statistics values are shown for the active window in Windows.
    For fullscreen applications eg. games I recommended combinations of ALT + TAB in order to "mark" the game as active window.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    SpajdrEX and Unwinder like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No

The overlay is rendered into the frame presentation.

3. Emil

Emil Member

GPU:
    ZotacGTX 1080 AMP Extreme
    The first post has been edited:
    - A mini tutorial has been added for using the OSD on multiple monitors

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

jura11, Haldi and cowie like this.

5. Unwinder

I'll improve foreground application detection implementation in the next beta so ALT+TAB-ing won't be necessary for fullscreen applications if application is running in foreground but have no actual active window. Also I'll add "Start with windows" option to DesktopOverlayHost.

Haldi, anxious_f0x, Emil and 3 others like this.
  6. DaemonKai

DaemonKai Guest

GPU:
    PALIT GTX560ti OC Sonic
    Hi!

This is amazing!

Damn, this is almost exactly what I needed. I was hoping that this can be detected as a window so I can use RTSS OSD as part of my stream overlay (Not ingame). Is that possible? Right now StudioOBS is not detecting it as a window or game.exe.

The Idea is I need a way to have RTSS OSD as a window that StudioOBS can hook, So i have the ability to move it around the stream freely. (Not Display Capture, Specific Window capture).

7. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Cool stuff!

but on my 32:9 Monitor the OSD is so faaaar on the left that it doesn't really bother ^^ (Except obviously in such stupid games like the outer worlds)
    [​IMG]

But i see why using a bigger/More detailed Info on the 2nd Screen could be pretty cool.

IIRC there was no feature for Multiple OSD presets and Hotkeys for them right?

8. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    @Emil Guess who got a 2nd Screen and is currently playing around to get a decent looking RTSS overlay? .....

One Thing that might be usefull for you and other users:
    Using the Overlay App on the 2nd Screen you want to globally deactivate the OSD in all games right?
    But what if you want it inside the Game?
    Sadly the RTSS Hotkey "Toggle On-Screen Display" Disables DesktopOverlayHost too! So what to do?
    Create a Custom Profile! Sadly there is no Toggle Option (@Unwinder instead of "set" and "add" what about a "toggle" option? That switches 1-0) so you have to create two Profiles, one for ON and one for Off. "Target profile property" is "EnableOSD" and you can set it to 1 and 0 for showing and hiding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Looks pretty cool.
    Still temporary UI...

[​IMG]

Edit:
    There is only one Problem remaining now.
    Whenever i take a Screenshot i takes a Screenshot of the Open 3D App AND the DesktopHostOverlay.
    Normaly i just set "Application detection Level" to none. so no OSD and no Screenshots.
    But in this case i want the OSD but no Screenshot. guess thats not possible is it?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  10. pawru

pawru Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB
    version 1.1.0 doesn't show correct FPS and Frametime in Vulkan API games (doesn't detect them?), there's no such renderer in setup menu. Can you fix this, please?

Attached Files:

11. Unwinder

There is nothing to fix and you completely misunderstand the purpose of renderer option.

12. Nayberryk

Nayberryk New Member

GPU:
    5700 xt
    Is there a way to show the OSD only in the Overlay Host window but not on the main monitor's screen?

13. Unwinder

Yes, and it is demonstated in the video from the very first post. To do it create a profile for DesktopOverlayHost and enable OSD support there but disable it in global profile.

14. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb