Multi monitor setup question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mraz, Mar 12, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    You need Windows 8 for that. Windows 8 supports taskbar/metro on any screens you have connected. With Nvidia a setup like this is pretty simple though as you've found. You basically just drag anything you want over to the second screen and it stays and functions there.

2. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Actually, you don't need win 8, you can do this in win 7 os, not is ccc.

Right-click a clear spot on your desktop and choose the second to last option"screen resolution"

You now have the screen resolution box showing on your desktop.

The 4th dropdown say,"multiple displays" this is where the changes you want can be set.

1) Duplicate thses displays" this will give you the tool bar and icons on your primary as well as secondary monitor-you stated you wanted to do this.

Personally, I have my 2X25 inch monitors in extended mode, but to each their own likes.

You do know you take a small performance hit by adding a second monitor, it have to be driven, si it takes a small amount of processing...with a 670, you should not notice it. (I have a 7870 and it is compared to 60gtx and I have had no issues, your more powerfull card should be even better.

The best thing is, this is done though the OS and so it does not matter what card you have amd or nvidia.

I hope this allows you to get the setup you want.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    How would duplicating be beneficial to OP?

He wants to game on one monitor and view notifications on another. He needs extended mode.

mraz, there are applications that do this on Windows 7.

4. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    Duplicating is no good to the OP. He wants different things on each monitor (Extended Desktop) but the task bar to be available on both monitors.

OP

AFAIK

You can only do this in Win 8.
    There might be some 3rd party software that will allow it in Win 7 but I haven't seen a way to do it yet.

5. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    I used to do this all the time. I'd play a game on one screen and have my TV hooked up while playing a movie for my gal on that. It didn't take much of a performance hit. Plus if you are just having the desktop open for texting or facebook etc, there isn't any kind of refresh happening as far as FPS is concerned. I don't believe you are able to have the task bar on both screens if that is what you are trying to do. You have one primary monitor and the other is secondary. The task bar will automatically post on the primary monitor. You can use the game on the primary monitor windowed and raise the bottom of that window to see it but I don't think you can have the start menu on both screens.

6. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Someone did mention to me there is a software with a name that I forgot unfortunately, that does exactly that, you can micromanage whatever you need and want to do over that 3rd party software, but I forgot its name, I heard its even sold over Steam for like 20 euro, but I cant find it.

Too bad they couldnt make it available that you have taskbar on both screens -.-

I find this quite satisfying tbh, I think its worth having an extra screen, especially when you're skype-ing and looking over on facebook, youtube, winamp(windows media player), etc.

I even use some gadgets for monitoring my CPU, internet, and I also think its quite useful when OC'ing your GPU, you can monitor temps and MSI afterburner graphs in real time on second screen, while benching on primary one.

If anyone remembers the name of that 3rd party multi monitor software please let me know!

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
  8. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /