1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-Monitor Annoyance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Voxoid, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my new RX580 and wondering if there's a possible way to fix it.

I recently upgraded to an RX580 from a 7970.

With multi-monitor mode on my 7970 I could turn off my 2nd monitor with the power button and multi-monitor mode would stay active and keep all of my windows open even though the monitor was off. Now with my RX580 if I turn the 2nd monitor off, the monitor gets disabled and the pc goes back to single monitor mode, shifting all open windows to my main monitor.

Is there some way to stop this happening?

2. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I ran into the same problem. Was using Nvidia and DVI for years. Then I upgraded to a Radeon VII and new monitors with display port. It's an AMD and/or DP thing. I didn't have the problem using a DP adapter to DVI with the older monitors and the Radeon. What connection type are you using?

3. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    My main monitor is HDMI and the 2nd is DVI

4. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Does turning off the main monitor change things? I have a TV using HDMI as a 3rd screen and turning it on our off doesn't do anything.

5. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    Nah, I can turn my main monitor off and everything stays normal. I just tried "Make this my main display" on my 2nd monitor in windows, but if I turn it off it still just disconnects the monitor and moves everything back to the first.

6. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Look for the monitor drivers (NOT from Microsoft). Install them.

7. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    Found the Acer monitor drivers and installed them with no trouble but unfortunately there's no change.

8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil
    Connected the second monitor to the RX580 and it stays multi monitor when turning it off. Using a DVI to HDMI cable. I changed it to a DVI to DVI cable and it still works fine when switching it off. But I connect the second monitor to the Intel iGPU which you could use as a workaround.

9. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    This is a "feature" I'm afraid. Monitors using displayport and modern HDMI monitors have plug and play capability, so when you turn the monitor off, windows knows it has turned off and so resets the desktop to one monitor.

Now supposedly for AMD cards (after a little googling), if you disable "AMD External Events Utility" in the services tab in Task Manager, this prevents this behaviour however I tried it myself and it didn't. I've done a little more googling and it seems there is a registry setting that can be edited (found here https://superuser.com/questions/120983/how-to-disable-monitor-auto-detection-in-windows-7 ) which suggests editing "DMMEnableDDCPolling" I have no idea if this works or not, I haven't tested it (again this is for AMD cards).

10. Voxoid

Voxoid New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Armor 8GB
    Thanks for that link, I feel like it might be pushing me in the right direction. Unfortunately, none of those registry keys or other management options seem to be present on Windows 10. Disabling the AMD External Events services and restarting doesn't help either.

I'll keep playing around with it and hopefully find a way to fix it then I'll post it here if I'm successful.

Thanks everyone for your help.