Much faster internet speeds after installing "fresh" copy of Win 10 pro? Why?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by nateluthje, Jul 26, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi everyone,

I have had to activate windows 10 (again) because I recently upgraded my mb, cpu, ram and video cards. At first it wouldn't accept the "legal" win 10 pro key. Ended up having to do clean install of the first version of win 10 pro and download all updates (again!). Seems it was not recognising my MB because it is apparently so new.

Anyway, my 3dmark scores are 1200-1500 3dmarks higher @stock (cpu, ram & video cards), than my previous score which was heavily oc'd. (4.6ghz cpu etc etc). Also funny thing is my download speeds have increased from 1.6Mb/s to 2.30-2.35Mb/s. I realise that many of you have way faster internet than I do, but I used to get only 100-125Kb/s on ADSL2.

Question is: Why has my connection speed increased?

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Something was messing up with your internet in the backround maybe?

Or some network settings were messed up by a program,

anyway thats weird, fresh install of windows is always good for a system.

August 2 Is the W10 anniversary update, stay tuned!

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Upgrading your CPU, motherboard, RAM, and video card you would hope for things to be faster :).

If you meant you tried using the same Windows installation with all new components, you tested it, then did a fresh install, you need to keep in mind it does make things messy. You probably had previous settings adjustments etc that you no longer have due to the fresh install. In any case, when doing a hardware overhaul a clean installation of Windows is basically a necessity.

4. Most likely there was a background app(s), which were checking for updates every hour or so. A fresh install would remove those applications checking for updates automatically. A lot of apps have check for updates enabled in the background, which takes away internet bandwidth. You can check the task scheduler and in the background app options.

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    there are only 2 possibilities.

1.) you isp changed your synch profile from 16 Mbit to 20 Mbit in a similar time period when you did your upgrade (or he did it earlier and you just didnt really notice so far because you havent checked max speeds directly before upgrading your hardware)
    (adsl 2+ is technically up to 24 Mbit)

2.) you had a software malconfiguration in the old system which limited the speed. limiting speed without doing it on purpose is rather hard though...
    so QoS comes in mind.
    but if you didn't play around with any QoS tools or traffic shaping i can't imagine any "accidental way" of limiting your bandwidth in such specific manner.

6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Probably old driver for his internet chip. I had old driver in mine for a while and never updated it, then I did update and my down speed doubled. I'm assuming Win10 updated it.