.MTS video playback choppy

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by smoothmoose, Aug 10, 2011.

1. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    I have Athlon 64 X2 4500+, and integrated Radeon 3200 chipset with UVD.

Bluray, and MKV 1080p content plays back fine. However, my new Sony camera captures 1080i video in .MTS (AVCHD) format and the playback is choppy.

I've tried WMP, WMC, VLC, MPC-HC and all are choppy. Surprisingly WMP and WMC are less choppy compared to VLC and MPC-HC.

What's my best way to get some smooth playback?

May an upgrade to the new Radeon cards with UVD3 be helpful?
    And related to this - is UVD3 in all Radeon chipsets the same? - i.e. not effected by the 3D clock rate or video memory?

My machine is solely used as HTPC.

Thanks.

2. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
  3. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    No other comments?

I tried converting, and it might have made a slight difference. Though it appears the quality might have been degraded. Maybe I didn't have the correct settings.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    First comment just about answered it all though, de-interlacing is very system intensive and from what i can see neither the GPU or CPU is up to do it without any framedrops.

You could try faster software decoders like CoreAVC/DivX Codec, but if VLC struggles i imagine they will too.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  6. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    Thank's, I've ready this article already and I've already tried this with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. My CPU usage is relative low, so I assume the data is been handled by the GPU, but I guess it's not keeping up.

I didn't realize that 1080i probably uses more processing power than 1080p, but it makes sense.

I guess my last two questions would be:

1) Is there much difference between the AMD/ATI UVD2 and UVD3? I know UVD3 supports Bluray 3D, does that mean, the UVD3 engine is at a higher clock rate and will process 1080i faster as well?

2) If I go with the new Radeon with UVD3, are pretty much all cards the same for video performance. I.e. does the 3D engine/clock and/memory speed have any impact on the UVD performance?

Thanks.

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Haven't owned an AMD card since the 4870, so can't speak from experience, but on paper i would say UVD2 is all you need as 3 only seems to add 3D support and HW decoding of XviD/DivX which isn't a hugely important feature in my opinion, but might be no more expensive to go with a UVD3 card anyway.

No, the hardware is the same, so a high end gaming card should be no different to a budget one when it comes to video playback.

8. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    Netflix and VC-1 AP (Advanced Profile)

One last question. I just realized that Netflix using VC-1 AP to encode their HD videos. And I noticed my CPU usage is very high.

Both nVidia and AMD support VC-1. But I did not find any specific reference in their literature on VC-1 AP. Can anymore confirm that both AMD and nVidia supports VC-1 AP and are getting hardware acceleration when watching Netflix HD?

9. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    Ok. Finally had chance to pick up a new video card. I went to the store and was going to pick up Radeon HD 6450, but they couldn't find a fanless one, so I went with the Geforce GT-520 fanless from Asus instead.

No more framedrops with my .MTS 1080i videos! CPU utilization at around 20%.

I'm guessing it was slightly more of hassle to install the nVidia as I had to uninstall and clean up my ATI/AMD IGP drivers/software, but finally got it up and running after a few reboots.

Probably no surprise here, but other folks who have an older HTPC that worked fine for Bluray but running into some issues with other HD formats should consider the nVidia GT-520 or the Radeon 6450 as an upgrade.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Great news, pleased you sorted it without having to spend too much, and coincidently that is not only the same card, but the exact same model of GT520 i'm looking to get for a dedicated HTPC i'm going to put together.

The GTX570 is not only overkill, but its also lacks features like HD BluRay Audio and support for 2k and 4k video.

11. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    Good stuff. Just FYI on the Asus GT520 if you haven't look at it. The heatsink is big and will obstruct one of your other PCI slots. Wasn't an issue for me, but if you a few extra cards and very small case, it might be an issue.

P.S. I didn't even know it supported 2k and 4k video, is that at full frame rate? Now I just need to get myself a 4k TV :)

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thanks for the info, will allow for that when looking at a case :)

Yeah, as far as i know, but not sure what they would call full framerate though, could be 24p and likely not 60p, but i don't even know if such a file exists at 2 or even 4k anyway anyway lol.

13. smoothmoose

smoothmoose New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT520 1GB fanless
    I use the Apevia X-pack2 cube case. Fits nicely in my Ikea Expedit shelving. Another FYI with the Asus GT520 card, it does come with both normal and low-profile brackets so you can definitely get in a slim/low-profile HTPC case.

4k video definitely exists, 3 years ago I saw it running as a single video on 4 separate screens stitched together, then this year at CES, there were single screen 4k TVs. Did not ask how much they cost ;-)

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good to know, cheers.

Yeah, i saw that TV, looked amazing even with the camera right up against the screen it wasn't a mess of pixels, just meant there isn't an abundance of 4k video files at 60fps, likely to be 24fps.