MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard with the Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge processor. The MSI Z77A-GD65 is intended for Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge processors on Socket LGA1155 and they tend to overclock...

More...

2. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Nice that you hit 5 GHz with this one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    The question is just how detrimental a 40% bump in CPU voltage would be. A CPU that has a stock voltage of 1.0 or 1.05 Volts is bound to deteriorate quickly at 1.4+V, good cooling or not. I was wondering if Hilbert could also add a "reasonable overclock" feature to his test where he would explore the OC limits of a CPU at voltages only slightly above stock, which would ensure longevity and bring sufficient benefits through higher performance. After all, we can't all afford to buy a new CPU every few months or so.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I can certainly understand your request. But as always time is an issue. We have the CPU samples 5 to 10 workdays before they get returned to Intel. In that timeframe everything needs to be done, the reference review, the Z77 chipset review and then the motherboard manufacturers reviews (we'll review 5 or 6 of these).

Adding to that yet anouther round of substandard overclocks is not possible I'm afraid.

So time is the issue ... I'm already hogging the CPU samples too long but am trying to get all Z77 motherboards tested.

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Don't get me wrong, Hilbert. I'm not ungrateful. In fact, your reviews are paramount in my decisions whether to buy something or not, so thanks! Also, I'm really impressed by your Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard review. It just goes to show that you needn't pay through the nose for a really decent motherboard.

Anyway, from what I've seen, you can reach 4.3-4.4 GHz on stock voltage (or only slightly above that) which is great for 24/7 and you can manage the heat with a reasonably-priced cooler as well (I have the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Thx for another great review Hilbert, I alway appreciate your work. Is it possible that you can do a review on the Asus Z77 top modell P8Z77-V DELUXE too?