MSI X570 motherboard leaks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Netherwind, May 23, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Gaming Plus and ACE revealed plus some information on why a fan is required to cool the X570 chipset.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I ma stil disgusted about stupid excuses on using active cooling on a chipset today... 10ys ago even mid-range MBs with more hotter chipset didn't need such stupid fans.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I haven't watched the video but perhaps it's just a new "feature" to give excuse to a higher price or to segment budget/basic motherboards to more premium ones. I'd be avoiding active motherboard cooling at all costs.

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes, this makes sense, it's not a design bug or an engineering laziness, it's a feature...

Just to remember, speaking about consumer chipset (some server chipset, both rack and tower, had high TDP chipset too):

AMD 890GX, 22W TDP (which was easily reached since it had a iGPU), all passive, usually the SB with a small heatsink, the NB connected to the CPU VRM with a single heatpipe,
    AMD 890FX, 18W TDP, all passive, some had an heatpipe with the CPU VRM some just didn't.
    AMD 990FX, 19.6W TDP, all passive, some had an heatpipe with the CPU VRM some just didn't.
    Intel 915G/P series completely passive with iGPU, 16.3W of TDP, no heatpipes..
    Intel 945P/PL, 15.2W TDP, completely passive, no heatpipes..
    Intel 945G, 22.2W TDP, completely passive with iGPU, no heatpipes
    Intel X58, 28.6W TDP (!!!), single heatpipe between SB and NB or between NB and CPU VRM, (some top-line MB had optional water cooling attachments)
    And I guess there are more, I wasn't able to find them quickly...

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Neo Cyrus and fantaskarsef like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Video gone :(

Can somebody now hand me the information on why they need a fan on the mainboard?
    Please @Netherwind can you explain my friend?

6. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    pci-e 4.0 nvme raid. there you go

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Makes me wonder what happens to the updated X470 boards and no fan?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Of course dear friend.

They simply said that "it's an advanced chipset which need more than passive cooling but that they use the Zero Frozr tech meaning the fan will only spin when there is heavy activity". They also claimed that "The fan is silent and will not be audible above what you're already hearing in terms of GPU/CPU/Chassis fans but we unfortunately cannot disclose any temperatures". Then they presented some features of the Gaming Plus mobo and also introduced the MEG ACE mobo and also talked briefly about a few features (for example logo on the mobo itself is lit by RGB). Nothing major though since they said they're still under NDA but that more would be revealed on Tue/Wed next week.

A theory would be that those boards will handle 12C/24T CPUs but won't be able to OC them or something like that.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It won't run PCI express 4.0, so no need for cooling on that.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Here is another video, though not a reupload:

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the info. I doubt the reason for that fan, since they're probably cheaping out on proper cooling as many others here have noted.
    Maybe need another waterblock / full cover MB block for my next build then...

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yea, having 500-800g of copper on the card would probably make it extremely expensive :p

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True, although the difference between the mid range board of a brand like Microstar or maybe ASrock and something like Asus' top line mainboards is about the same as waterblock, price wise :D

14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yes on X470's & B450 the first PCI-e x16 slot will be 4.0 & last M.2 slot 4.0 with bios update and Ryzen 3000 cpu because the first runs off the CPU but the rest run off PCH, I was told [OnnA found article on this, it is in The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread] . But writing this I realize my above question was pointless I answered myself...lol Thanks..

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  15. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    AMD X470 and B450 BIOS Updates To Open PCIe 4.0 Support When Paired With an AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Processor

The AMD X570 platform will be the first fully PCIe 4.0 compliant mainstream platform but existing AM4 motherboards such as the ones based on the X470 and B450 chipset would also be open to supporting the new
    PCIe standard when paired with a new Ryzen 3000 series processor & updated to the latest BIOS.

A few days ago, Gigabyte officially unveiled their new BIOS updates for X470 and B450 boards and soon after, users on Reddit (via mVran) found out that their existing X470 motherboards now listed an option for PCIe Gen 4 configuration in the BIOS menu.
    Similarly, veteran leaker Momomo_Us on his twitter feed reported that the same option is available on Gigabyte’s B450 motherboards. This more or less confirms that PCIe 4.0 support will be available on existing AM4 boards but there’s a catch.

While there’s support for PCIe Gen 4.0 on current motherboards, it is only possible with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors using the Zen 2 core architecture and even then, only the first PCIe x16 slot is said to be compatible with Gen 4.0 speeds
    as that operates over the CPU PCI-Express lanes while the rest of the slots would still function over the PCH which are only PCIe 3.0 compliant and we can also expect a single M.2 port to run at PCIe 4 speeds.

That’ll mostly vary from board to board. I SHOULD OF DONE THIS TO BEGIN WITH ..sorry

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wait wait, Zen2 processor only outputs pci express 3.0 lanes. 4.0 are supported by motherbord.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Zen2 cpu has 4.0.

SplashDown likes this.