MSI X570 cpu 8+4 pin compatible my power supply ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by harlan, Jul 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Guywylie

Guywylie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5700xt 8Gb
    I ran into this on my first build on Aorus Z390 Master which has dual 8-pin CPU connects. I don't know anyone that is into building PC's so it was just me, google and youtube and at 5AM thinking I was almost done I find I did not go high end enough on the PSU. Did some more research, found the same 2 opinions and went with better to have and not need than not have and possibly F up $800 worth of MOBO+CPU. Returned Gigabyte 650w 80+ Bronze for Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold for $60 more. Haven't had any problems and see so many people crying about issues with the same board and a lot of replies saying not using both connections is the reason.

2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Folks, if you have a decent power supply, you can always buy a cable that splits the eps 12v connector to add an additional connector as-needed - while not the best option - it might get you by until you can buy a proper power supply - or you might be fine - or it might not work at all during gaming. It will only just shut off if it pulls too much amperage and the power supply struggles, most modern supplies have protection against pulling too much power. Now a cheap power supply might just blow up, but to folks who hook such equipment up to garbage PSU's I don't feel for them.
    Of course, a proper supply with all the cables needed is ALWAYS the best, most sound, most reliable option.

3. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    If i remember right once i made a pc for a friend with an x470 gaming pro carbon and i remember it had 2 sockets of power for cpu but i used just one from those 2 and the pc is working for a year without any problem.
    I think the 2nd one is for extra power if you gonna overclock an 3900 or 3950.

4. E.A.Poe

E.A.Poe Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Unless you are doing some extreme overclocking with nitrogen, then you have no use for the 4 pin. The regular 8 pin connection can handle well north of 375w. The 12 core 3900x comes nowhere near this limit. My ASUS mobo manual even says it is optional. If anyone is still in doubt I suggest that you call the motherboard tech department and ask them. That's what I did. A single 8 pin connector is just fine.

5. Jamie814b

Jamie814b Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5700xt
    Hi, I just wanted to add in because I built a computer with an AMD Ryzen 3700X + Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 MB. It runs great but it would randomly restart. I've replaced the power supply, the ram, I've done benchmarking/stress tests to mem tests and everything checks out perfectly. The only thing I haven't done was plug in the extra 4 pin cable to the CPU because my Seasonic Semi-Modular GM 850W Gold doesn't come or have a place for an extra CPU cable. After looking through these forums I feel like adding the extra 4 pin cable would fix the instability. What leads me to this conclusion is that I received the "WHEA Logger" event as the one guy previously mentioned. It sucks because now I have to see if I can exchange the power supply for something else and they are hard to get now. I will update to let you guys know if it fixes things, but in my opinion, at this point, get a power supply that can provide 8 pin and 4 pin connectors. I don't overclock my CPU and run everything stock.

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    it wont help.
    mine has 8+4 and does the same reboots.
    almost all Gb have issues, started since they did dual bios, and chips not properly getting erased on update, keeping some settings from previous and even clearing cmos does not fix it.

flash the latest non beta in dos mode, make sure to use flags /C to clear data, and /RB (?) or whatever is used to also update backup bios at same time.
    load default, reboot, then change settings as desired..