MSI X299 SLI Plus LGA2066 Motherboard- How fast is bootup? Q about Optane memory

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by starstreak, Mar 17, 2018.

1. starstreak

starstreak Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    I'm thinking of upgrading my old computer with this motherboard and either the Intel Core i7-7820X or Intel Core i9-7900X. I currently have a Intel X980. I'll keep the main drive as a SSD or a .M2(which I never used b4, but was told it's better).
    Anyways, from a cold boot, it'll take the computer almost a 1min just to get into windows 10. But I noticed about 30+ seconds is just the computer starting up and getting out of the BIOS stage (blank screen, ASUS logo, different controllers recognizing SSD/HD, etc.). Windows 10 not even loading yet.
    On the Surface laptop, I press power, and about 13seconds later, I'm in windows. Do these new MB take as long as my old MB takes to get out of BIOS and loading windows? I would be happy if I could startup almost as fast as the laptop.

Also, Optane memory. There's a 32GB .M2. Which, from what I read isn't storage, but something the computer starts to store heavily used files to make it faster? But there's also a 800P which is like 100GB+ and that's a SSD storage? Not sure if I understand the two. They are almost the same price on newegg.

2. starstreak

starstreak Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    nobody? Bummers

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    X99, X299 etc are basically server grade consumer hardware.

With all the addons on the boards, quad channel DRAM, etc POST takes longer which is normal.

You can speed it up by disabling unnecessary things and such but it will never be 1 sec post like laptops.

Optane isn't generally useful for most consumers.

It's low latency accelerated storage for select use, mostly to benefit specific applications or people with only mechanical drives.
    Not worth it if you have an SSD. 800P and 32GB serve same purpose.