MSI will debut the MEG 342C based on a QD-OLED (3440x1440) display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Nice, keep 'em coming.
    The price needs to go below $1000, as above there's competition from LG OLED TVs

But probably it will happen as soon as there are several models on the market and this is no longer a novelty

Such a monitor would be a nice drop-in replacement for my current ultrawide:
    ✓ Same size (fits on desk)
    ✓ IPS -> QD-OLED (no more horrible glow)
    ✓ 100 Hz -> 175 Hz (smoother)
    ✓ 4-6 ms -> 0.1 ms (no more ghosting)
    ✓ SDR -> HDR (yay movies!)
    ✓ More precise colors
    ✓ 400'ish nits max -> 1000 nits
    ✓ 1000:1 contrast ratio -> "Infinite" contrast

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This will a great upgrade from 34" VA panel in the future. We need more competition.

tunejunky and Solfaur like this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I have the Dell version of this monitor/panel and as long as you're not doing much text/productivity work it's fantastic. Once you go oled it's impossible to go back.. the contrast makes far more of a difference than resolution/hz given diminishing returns.

Dells 3 year burn in warranty is a good addition and well. Hopefully other manufacturers using the panel do the same.

tunejunky and AuerX like this.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hm, no info about gsync, so maybe I will cancel my Dells order, and buy this instead.
    Rarely I use any form of sync, and having another fan(that can fail/make more noise over time) is kinda frustrating. Not to mention paying for something I would not use. GPU is not a problem, anytime can switch with my son's gear...

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What's wrong with text productivity? I do a lot of that and gaming on my monitor because I use a KVM between work and play.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The OLED pixel layout causes text fringing issues in high contrast applications. Black text on white for example looks "frizzy".. like it's not as clear as it should be. For me increasing the DPI to 125% and running the cleartype thing on Windows mostly fixed the issue but long term there definitely needs to be improvements to the pixel layout/resolution.

HandR, tunejunky and Solfaur like this.
  8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Probably pixel layout. Differs from common RGB stripe.

I read that BetterClearType app, from GitHub somewhat helps with that, and from my personal experience (C1 thou) it really helps with text.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    no gsync = cheaper + silent

bring it on

GREGIX likes this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Cheaper I get , silent though ???? The gsync module makes noise or have active cooling ?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Believe it or not it does. Freesync ftw

EspHack, tunejunky and Venix like this.
  12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes. most g-sync modules (even on newer monitors) are old and fabbed @ 22nm
    the newest ones are 14nm and have a passive chipset cooler.
    i found this out the hard way from early AM gaming..."what is that noise?..." even though i have a fast refresh ips from last year they didn't include the newest module except on their top-of-the-line monitor at twice the price.

i have my eye (and a pre-order through Sammy) on the Odyssey.
    Samsung has had terrible yield on QD-OLED panels, but luckily for us it's the larger panels that suffer the most from lower yields.
    i do have a bias for O.E.M.'s (true meaning of expression) as they're the ones with the technology.
    with the 34" panel Samsung is either binning them or using Alienware/MSI as "guinea pigs" for software & packaging (which is more than the box).
    i tend to suspect that "binning" is not the reason as these monitors are amazeballs (my neighbor has the Alienware) and i know they're already in the marketplace in Seoul, so there's something a bit fishy (tho' it can just be $$ paid) a slow release stateside when Alienware shipped two weeks after CES.

anyways it's a hard go against LG & Aorus OLEDs which are sub $1k for a larger monitor/TV

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    GREGIX and Venix like this.
  13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks. That may make look at other options for my next monitor. Depending on when I pull the trigger mini led or micro led is looking like the best of breed for monitors.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @tunejunky & @Undying I have only experience with freesync never in a million years would have guessed gsync modules had active cooling ... If I had brought one I would have been really really surprised !

tunejunky and Undying like this.
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It really depends on what monitor and if it's gysnc ultimate.

That being said, i'm not sure i understand the complaint, as unless you have a completely silent desktop, your desktop is going to be louder. (Yes, i do have a monitor with a fan in it, no, i have literally never heard it)

Venix likes this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Most of the times I can not hear at all my desktop keep this low rpm and undervolted ! If it is completely silent then is fine but people here complained about the sound .... Small fans are rather screamy

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    tunejunky likes this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Definitely, not saying it's not an issue in all situations, just saying that i believe it to be mostly blown out of proportion in the same manner people often come here and say: ' Stay away from OLED, burn in burn in! ' without ever having owned one. But there are definitely situations where it could matter, no doubt.

tunejunky and Venix like this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I can not disagree there , also depends if that fan kicks in only during gaming the I would have never heard it my self (except if the bearing goes bad and sound like a turbine :p) . In general I avoid failure points that are hard to spot and or fix is not easy. Is the same reason I prefer tower coolers over aio coolers even if the aio coolers look soooooo good !

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Took a decade to get here.
    Im sure I can wait 12-18 more months till this is affordable.

Undying likes this.