MSI To Release GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z & Gaming X card with USB Type C connector

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Interesting...

Noob question, what kind of things can USB Type C connector offer/do?

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It can charge your cellphone

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man USB-C really is the universal port!

5. toffty

toffty New Member

GPU:
    AMD 290
    Connect to future monitors which have a USB-C connector for video+sound input (like hdmi/dp). USB-C could, and i hope will, become the universal standard to connect any electronic device to any other electronic device.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cool!....I gotta get me one...:)

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Something to think about too, the intended purpose is just video and audio pass through but depending on the controller being used it might be able to do more than just video and audio pass through.

8. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    :stewpid: ????

OK.....

It is the possibility to add a GPU to an external case (eGPU)

USB type C "will" be the universal connector for all devices.

There are USB Type C cables that can go through 40Gb/s!!!!!

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/consumer/

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Thunderbolt can do 40gb, but USB C is only limited to 10gb. Now to be fair, most cases USB C are used in having 10gb access is more than enough. 40gb would only be used in networking, but even then for reliability and features companies are still going to use fiber over Thunderbolt.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I personally am not fond of USB-C. It's over-ambitious. I don't want a single cable that is literally universal - too much can go wrong with that. I'm open to the idea of a universal digital host-to-host signal cable, but USB-C is much more than that, and it's the extra stuff that worries me.

There's a reason we have gone decades (arguably over a century) using different types of connectors for different purposes. Some of these things USB-C will over-complicate, such as power distribution, cable length, and reliably intelligent signal translation. Users are inevitably either going to experience confusion or hardware issues.

Anyway, I'm fine with the idea of USB-C working as a display connector, I'm just expressing my opinion in response to others stating their views on USB-C.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    it's like thunderbolt port, whatever you need to connect it "should" work :)

same as on Mac (the computer not the burger), it work prety nice for those.

12. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    More miners,more ransomeware to come,programing the gpu to do some hidden things. ;)

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    One of my favorite things about USB-C is it doesn't matter which orientation you plug it in.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's been a while since I last saw a MSI Lightning card, I even thought MSI abandoned the line, so great it's not the case!

Looking forward to see the new cooler and color scheme!

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    USB-C is a god send for cell phones. I really hope External drives use it as well soon. Its a much better and stronger connector.

Better offer much better argument about your complications of USB-C. My steps sons chrome book was able to charge off of his USB 3.0 port on his computer with my USB 3.0 Type C cable.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm fine with its uses for things like phones. What I especially don't like is using it for analog signals, daisy chaining, cable length limitations, and supplying more than 15W of power.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

why would one want to charge the phone with there gpu...

I dont really see why a gpu need usb port, less monitor start using said port to feed the video to it, but we already have HDMI and DP do we need another? seeing as the industry is leaning on HDMI HARD i doubt we need another,

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Personally i would happy if manufactuers drop DVI, just 3xDP and 2xHDMI would be ideal, make a HDMI to DVI adapter for people that still want to use their old monitors.

On topic, very interested on the lightning, it was the quietest GTX980Ti, hope MSI continues their trend of great performance and relatively quiet operation.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would love it if HDTV,UHDTV use DP I dont mind loseing DVI/RGB so long as said HDTV,UHDTV have dedicated PC connections AKA DP, The all use HDMI which cause me great issue, i dont have enough if HDMI ports for all my stuff,

20. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    I dont think we will see HDMI being dropped in favor of DP, to many tv related things use it, among those receivers, tv, projectors, dvd/blue ray players, etc, and im fine having 2 standards, the open DP for PCs, and TV related HDMI, just the past ones need to disappear.