MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio watercooled getting spool coils

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Chucky2910, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Chucky2910

Chucky2910 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080TI GXTri
    Hello,

hopeful someone have an answer for me what i could do against spool coils with my MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio with EKWB Waterblock Cooling on it.

The Problem is, that since a few days i hear sool coils while the graphic card is idle. Strange if i bring her to 100% load the spool coils are gone and the card is silence but i she is in idle - windows without doing anything the spool coils are loud and get louder as before.

I updated the drivers to the 441.41 custom driver but nothing happend. Some drivers before (i dont know the number) the card was silence in idle.

Maybe someone have a hint what i could do against the spool coils?
    Should i rebuild the waterblock with more thermal pads or new ones? The Waterblock is new the hole watercooling system is new - aroun 3 month now.

(If i should explain my problem in german i could do that because iam from germany)

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    After doing a search for MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio coil whine the general opinion seems to be that its a psu quality issue.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    what 650w psu are you using?

4. Chucky2910

Chucky2910 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080TI GXTri
    Iam using this PSU
    650 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold
    with the Lian Li O11-Dyniamic XL Case and watercooling from EKWB (GPU & CPU).
    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X Mainboard.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My Seasonic 750w could not cope with an overclocked 2080ti and 9900k, I had game crashes and the occasional system shutdowns.

Based on my experience and The Goose's comment, I can't imagine a 650W 80+ PSU is enough in your system.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Pretty much what others said, get yourself at least 850w or ideally a 1000w PSU.

7. Chucky2910

Chucky2910 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080TI GXTri
    So when my PC is in idle (no programms open only desktop shown) i get spool coils when i get load on my gpu like benchmark or playing a game the spool coils are gone. This should be the PSU because it have 650W instead 850 or more?
    Please someone explain me this with more details? My GPU need more Watt on Load and not while Ilde around... Shouldnt the spool coil be reversed so not be heard in idle mode but heard Load with for example high FPS?

I sure could by a powerful PSU but will this really supress the spool coils in IDLE Mode?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    750 is enough for the 2080ti, but not if to use a single cable from the psu, seasonics guide is to use 2 cables, if your card needs 8+8+6, then the second cable can power the +6

[​IMG]

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Interesting, I had read (from some review site) that if using a single rail, this was not necessary. I wonder if it would've fixed my problem...

I don't understand what the difference would be apart from having twice the thickness of cable which shouldn't cause such dramatic effects that I were seeing, should it?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its the fact seasonic are using 18awg on their focus / plus power supplies and the 2080ti can sporadically (and almost immeasurably) draw beyond 300w from the cable where its rated for safe stable operation of around 288w

[​IMG]

i've seen some incorrect reddit posts about 18AWG "being accepted as 10a", this is dependant on the insulation layer, at 105c insulation rating you get 9a, and can be even less if the insulation rating is as low as 80c (6a), so you're looking at 288w as the image above depicts at the best case, not 324w as the reddit post assumes.

@HeavyHemi would be the one to ask on specifics about the matter though, but its been generally accepted for a while that on the Ti's atleast you should run 2 cables to get the best performance / stability out of them.

insp1re2600 and Mda400 like this.

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    OK Thanks!

Maybe I wasted my money on the Corsair AX1000 but it's platinum so I'll just pretend it'll pay for itself eventually :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I thought all cards had coil whine :confused:

MSI 980Ti Gaming X, MSI 1080Ti Gaming X and now MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio have all had coil whine during heavy load or very high FPS.