Msi RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio -- Samsung GDDR6 poor OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kicaj, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Kicaj

Kicaj Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080Ti
    Hi guys, I need advice. Maybe from somebody having MSI GAMING X 2080 TI. I wonder if its just my sample, if its not PSU or its basically why the Micron series were falling down all the time. I received my sample of MSI GAMING X TRIO just today but I've been able to test it out quite some time already. Generally the results of my OC possibilities are very poor: the Samsung GDDR6 memory wont boost up more than +300 Mhz on stock core without getting crashed (TimeSpy Extreme stress test). If I move up the core to something like +100 I cant boost memory to more than +200 without getting error. Core without memory boost goes up to +135Mhz without issues. But Memory and Core together -> Drama.

I've read MSI RTX 20080 TI Gaming X Trio (and generally the first Founders Editions with Micron memory) tweaked up to +150 Core +800 Memory without issues. Now my sample has Samsung GDDR6 and its a drama (OC wise). Is my Corsair 700W enough (I have ssd disks, not OCed i7 4790k --> turned oc off and remain low manual set voltage --> 100% its not cpu no bsods, previous 1080 gtx works super fine on this set), is this causing issues or its clearly memory of GPU issue? What are your thoughts?

P.S.
    I've read on some German portal an article that says the MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X has dramatic memory cooling, guy did some infrared tests, decomposed the card, seen cooling not attached to main GPU core cooling, and suggested gaming x trio were failing because of this (too overheat), I doubt its better in Samsung case or they just limited the safe zone when its failing. I'll post the link as soon as I find it (the article) again.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. Kicaj

Kicaj Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080Ti
    You actually answer my question. Thank you Gery. I think i wanted to take most of it after just half of the day of testing. It started to behave differently in the very evening. I think some thermal paste had to distribute, card had to be burned out a bit (you know, like audiophiles like to burn in their speakers first ;) I managed +110 core +600 memory with no artifacts and crashes finally on 71C closed case, wents 43% or something. I was I think too pesimistic after first day of doing tests. I also run Resident Eveil 2 maxing all setting filling in all the 11GB memory and it works so I feel more confident about this oc and memory. Hopefully it wont die ;) And yes, I had the power sliders, limiters maxed out, but really its different card now, I think it had to be burned a bit first.

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I think your psu is enough. I'm using a 650w and overclocking the same card only with micron. I think it's all luck of the draw. I didn't get really great results overclocking. Actually I don't even touch the memory because it didn't really overclock at all and wasn't worth it. Just overclocking the core.

4. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You can even consider FW update. There is the version 90.02.17.00.2C for Gaming X Trio in TPU's vgabios collection.