MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition Mini review

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DesGaizu, Jan 14, 2014.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    How do you do that, locking the clocks in Afterburner?

2. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    It is bad advise locking the 2D clocks.

I've had my reference card 2 weeks after launch and it has functioned beautifully, using AB I set the 2D profile to default except with a custom fan curve and the 3D profile to 1125/1450 with +100mV core voltage, +50% power limit and custom fan profile.

I have run the card 1175/1600 without problems using Sapphire Trixx to push +175mV to the core.

The way the drivers work now the core adjusts itself to process load in 2D, locking the clocks has no effect on stability and only wastes electricity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    yeah dont lock it, Rich_Guy messed up something again:D jk

probably just some driver ccc & afterburner conflict
    ps dont use auto OC at start - this should clear most conflicts with driver.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Locking the 3D clocks in AB stops the throttling, you just run a higher clock than stock, otherwise it will still throttle.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ah I thought you meant 2d/low 3d clocks in idle

6. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    I thought he meant 2D clocks also. The 3D clocks shouldn't throttle either as long as you set the power limit to 50% and temperatures are fine.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nah :D, i was getting a blackscreen followed by a BSOD, then a restart while just doing stuff on the desktop (got 2 in a week, yet gaming/benching was fine), when i got the card, so i put it down to the massive clock jumping up and down it does, as it doesn't stay at 300/150, as when you start doing stuff like browsing etc..., the clocks spike and drop massively, so i thought a massive spike or drop it was doing, was making it spazz out, and causing it to blackscreen then BSOD and restart, so i set up a profile in AB to use as my 2D clocks (to test, but seen as it works, i use all the time now), but had to set to 515/625, as thats the lowest AB goes, so it locks those clocks, and they don't move at all, my 2D clocks are now rooted at 515/625 (when i load the profile, which i do after loading up AB when i start up, otherwise i'll still be getting the 300/150 massively spiking and dropping), and ive never had a blackscreen, BSOD since, been over a month now rock solid. :)

I also made another profile for my 3D clocks (gaming), to lock them also, as if you don't, yer core will just go up and down constantly.

For example, i tested HL2, and my core was just going from 900+ down to around 580, all the time, just constant, up and down, up and down, other games were not so bad, may have only gone as low as 800 in some, and up to 1000+, but cards supposed to be 1030/1250, so i locked them at 1050/1250 in another AB profile (as hasn't got to be stock core to work), and it now stays at 1050/1250, and never moves.

All i do when i start up is, load up Afterburner, and select my profile i use for my 2D clocks (515/625), then when i want to game, i just switch to my 3D one (1050/1250).

Big thread on clockers about the throttling, which is where i got all the info from. :p

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18573623

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  8. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    My card does the same thing as far as the clocks jumping around as Rich_Guy describes, however it hasn't shown up as a problem with either performance or stability. Perhaps it's something to do with the combination of hardware?

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah its odd, as as i said, i could game/bench fine, i just got my 2 blackscreens followed by a BSOD and a restart just on the desktop, first one i got by just closing Steam down, and the second i got, just as id closed Firefox, so thought, i wonder if its because the clocks are going up and down all the time.

As if i just had the Overdrive open on the desktop (with me not doing anything), the core clock needle just used to go up and down all the time, but very slow, but would only go from 300 up to about 314, nice and steady, but then when i opened say Firefox, both would go absolutely berserk for a few seconds, massively spiking up and down randomly (could go from 300 to 900+), so i thought, may be when it does a massive random spike or drop, its a one that it can't cope with for some reason, so its just spazzing out, blackscreening, then BSODing and restarting, so thats why i set up a low clocks profile in AB to lock them (to test), that i could use for my 2D desktop ones, and since ive done that, ive been rock solid for over a month, so i just use that low clocks profile all the time now for desktop.

I also thought that it may have something to do with it as well, as i could also leave it sitting on the desktop for hrs not doing anything, say if id gone out for a while, as it would never blackscreen/restart either, it only done it when id opened something, or closed something down, anything to make the clocks go mental.

I think it never spazzed out while i was gaming, as the core was going up and down slower than on the desktop when doing something, was nowhere near as erratic.

10. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Unwinder already mentioned the weired swings in the readout is a bug, the 290 uses a different method of polling the card and that the read out is wrong.

And Richguy the way you are locking 2d clocks is unneeded, if you unlocked OD it probably caused a conflict with AB, unwinder mentioned this also, probably source of your first problem.

New AB should fix all these things.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Agree, dont force that wait for Afterburner fix.

btw this how it looks like by nv when browsing forums (firefox, gpu hw on)

[​IMG]

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Amd power saving features suck. For example flash YouTube video will cause almost full 3d clocks for gpu and full memory clocks. On top of that memory will not down clock when using custom timings to achieve higher than 60Hz. GTX 780 was almost always in lowest possible clocks state. Amd has only two states for memory too and it goes up and down all the time while browsing (in case the memory does down clock). Kepler power saving is better than on fermi. Fermi had issues with custom timings too, gtx 550 ti did not downclock at all when using 75hz custom timings.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    My blackscreens and BSODs had nothing to do with Afterburner, as i got the first one before id even installed it, and i don't have Overdrive unlocked.

I just put Afterburner on to lock the 3D clocks while gaming, as per that thread i linked to on clockers (and to overclock), but i also thought id try another profile at very low clocks to use for my desktop use (as they would also be locked), to see if that would stop my blackscreen BSOD problem, and it seems to have, as ive gone over a month without a prob now.

If i don't load up Afterburner when i start up (as i do it manually, i don't have it to start with Windows, or to load any profiles with Windows), i'll still be normal at 300/150 clocks, going up and down steady, 300/314, then when id open a program, they'd still go mental, spiking, dropping massively, and id eventually (at a random time) get a blackscreen, BSOD, followed by a restart again, so i need to load up AB, and use my low clocks locked profile instead, as that seems to have been whats cured it, going by how long ive gone now without any since doing it.

I don't know why it happens on mine, as everyone elses seems to be fine, and i know its normal for the 290s (as people say) for the clocks to bounce about on the desktop while doing stuff, its just for some odd reason, mines not happy doing that, so thats why ive had to have done, what ive done. :p

14. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    This is the 3D AB bug in GPU Usage, TF2 V-Sync. There are some other small things to fix in AB also. It seems to only readout like this with V-Sync on.

AB works well none the less.

[​IMG]

This is 2D.

The first spike in GPU Usage is from Chrome, grabbing the scroll bar instead of using mouse wheel, hardware accelerated; the last three little spikes in GPU Usage and ripple in Core Clock are the animated emoticons from the reply screen, gif is also hardware accelerated.

[​IMG]

This is 2D with Chrome open and scrolling threw multiple image files, also hardware accelerated.

[​IMG]

The 2D readings are normal.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    Yea mine looks like that too, glad it's not just me then.

16. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Member

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    I'm loving the x version :)

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 8GB
    I really like this card alot. Its quite sexy looking. Wish I could have one myself. Though still pretty happy with my HD 7850 2GB.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Me too, awesome cards :cool:

19. i5750

i5750 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

Would a R9 290 still get around 75c in a older Antec 300 case? And will my Corsair CX600 PSU be good enough for the 290? I want to upgrade my R9 270, But I do not want to change my PSU yet since this one is not a year old yet. I could spend more for the GTX 970, But I would rather stay RED if I can. I got used to the better colors AMD cards have.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just an update on this, new x99 rig, and no longer have to do this, clocks bouncing about fine without a prob, so only have the 1 profile now, my oc'd one for my gaming. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015