MSI R5870 Lightning review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 15, 2010.

1. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    seems nice but just get a reference 5870 and overclock that and save money. stock 5870's can overclock like a beast anyways if you need the extra performance.

if it was clocked at 1000/1350(5400) and still has more headroom for more then it'll be worth the extra 50 bucks then

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    LOL, is it me or are you tired of hearing something referred to as Mc Daddy, Mac Daddy, or Big Daddy in reference to it's supposed greatness? Your really just dating yourself. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Seems very pointless to me, all that nice spec you would have thought this better well damn be a piece of cake to get past 1ghz core and hopefully 1.2 but no it goes as far as a reference card? So what is the point?

Just like buying a blinged up version of a existing car, but it accelerates as fast and has the same top speed.. meh.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hilbert didn't mention it but theres something wrong with the mounting of the cooler once its actually contacting the chip that cooler is badass.

5. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    well most reference 5870's can hit the magical 1ghz with msi afterburner if you got a good one out of the batch.

my stock 5870 overclocks very well and even overclocks the memory very well also. this card too i was expecting more. maybe he got a so-so card for review while someone in the near future that buys it gets lucky and get a Godsend for overclocking :infinity:

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    This sheds completely new light on the product. A badass design coupled with a badass cooler, now that's something worth paying for. The board can push the juice and the cooler can chill the GPU.

So he just re-seated the cooler and it did the trick?

7. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I would really like to overclock this card but because of all the new stuff coming I may just wait.. 1300mhz was my max on the 5850 / 5870 refrence version with LN2.. This seems really great! Maybe I'll give it a try.. Only problem is I'd have to get 4 of them... Cant settle with 1.. :)

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I need to do a little write-up explaining why there's no difference in the amount of watts or amps that a 6 or 8-pin PCIe connector can deliver and show that the only difference is the amount of voltage drop which would be even worse with the 6-to-8 adapters they include then it would be without them.

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    No well you basically need a few more washers and your good.

10. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I see. So it is, in fact, a design flaw, which prevents the cooler from making full contact even when you tighten the screws fully, and additional washers allow a tight fit, right?

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yup this is what i've made out so far.

12. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    From the reviews that I have read, HD 5850 requires a lot less power then 5870 and that means less wattage, less amperes etc etc

13. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    This is true but them amps recommended is for the whole system and usually high end (i7 920 ,PHII x4 ect)

The actual card would use maybe 15-18A

So say 36A used by the cards in crossfire @ Peak load

plus HDDs,oced CPUs,sound cards,4-6 case fans for example it all adds up.

14. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    ok ..thats good to know