MSI PCI-E 4.0 Motherboards For Speed Ascending

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    Just installing, booting etc. Windows XP was a big, silent and cheap forward using 2 Hitachi HDDs in a RAID 0. Recordings with fraps + gaming itself, encoding movies.. the list is so long. In my mind no need to mention examples. Contras always belongs to "I don't know how (doing it the right way), I can't do that alone, I just go with the mainstream and only know things someone I don't know in person wrote in a (lamer)-forum."
    My very important data of the last 30 years has still in 2020 an amount of 33,9 GB. That's almost nothing. All other data I can find in the WWW but of course I have multiple backups. The last HDD I lost with a headcrash was a 60 MB Seagate in the mid 90s and it's still a nightmare to think about that. Learn from mistakes! ;) I lost thousands of hours. Source Code! - Even today I could swear my mother hit my PC with the vacuum cleaner on purpose. :D :(

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The context here is RAID0'ing NVMe drives... Of course RAID with HDDs back in the 2000s was beneficial - the "ID" in RAID stands for "Inexpensive Disks". It was meant to be a way to cheaply add (R)edundancy. NVMe drives aren't "inexpensive disks" and trust me, you're not going to see a performance boost in everyday workloads. If anything, the CPU overhead of RAID will actually slow them down. There are benchmarks to prove this.
    I know the feeling, though isn't the lesson there to use RAID1 and not RAID0?