MSI P55-GD80 Lynnfield Motherboard Preview

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We have a nice preview to offer you guys on the upcoming MSI P55-GD80 Lynnfield Motherboard. This board has a lot of overclocker-friendly features such as on-board controls for clock-speeds clear-CMOS...

More...

2. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
  3. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    thats a decent feature filled mobo, cant wait till its really put to the test, gotta to say also looks very fetching :p

4. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    I love the black/blue theme of the i5 boards. Mine right now is blue/black/copper

5. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Nice board. I'm actually looking forward to P55 + i5 configuration as it might become my next build :)

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    man oh man that's lookin nice... god i need a job

7. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    why would the i5 boards cost 250 when the i7 boards now can be had for less?

8. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well this is a pretty high end i5 board, lots of extra features and quality that add to the price

9. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I was hoping to get a good board in the 150-180 range.

If the prices stay like this than it is no diff than a i7 setup

10. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Yess it is. The i5 architecture is different then the i7's. No Hyperthreading, no IMC (afaik).

But as far as price goes I'd bet a high end i5 setup will be just as expensive as an i7 setup for a few months.

11. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    No, the i5s will have IMC, but we don't know if they'll be HT or not... not yet anyways. No official word on that yet.

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I am saying that there should be a difference in price if the i5's have less features than the current i7's to me it does not make sense to wait all this time for a lesser product just to have it be about the same price if not the same price.

13. DEATHSTAR

DEATHSTAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285 SLi + 8800GTX
    interesting

Are the motherboard pictures in the review really the right ones? I ask because the PCIe slots in the picture are x8 and not x16, as labeled on the board. Check it out. It may be a mislable. Check the label under the top blue slot.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Looks like that is mislabeled. The PCH has 16 lanes available and the NF200 switch chip supplies an extra 32 lanes.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    3 SLI bridges and one Crossfire ? What's the point in there ?

[​IMG]

16. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Oh well if they have IMC's then I will probably go i5. Unless I'm doing heavy video work at the time. My Q9550 handles encoding/decoding really quickly so I'm sure even without HyperThreading they'll be more than capable. I agree about the price though. If I build an i5 I expect to save @ least a few hundred dollars on the build compared to i7. Otherwise what would be the point?

17. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  18. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    yes Biggerx now we are on the same page,
    I expected to ave at least 200-250 going the i5 route but it looks to me as if Intel want to dump the x58 eventully and focus on the p55 since they have brought some i7's to the p55 platform.

So it sucks in a way for the ppl that grabbed the x58 setup right away and it will suck for us as well.

19. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Well yeah, kinda.. but it's not that bad, x58 will hold the 'extreme platform' title as it will support the upcoming i9's. Of course, they'll be pricey..but the whole 'x' intel chipset series were always more of a high end so it's normal..plus there will always be people who want to have the best which money can buy inside of their rigs.

As for others..I'm pretty sure that there will be cheaper p55 boards..the only thing which is still unclear for me..is the i5's prices. If Intel could somehow lower them to a reasonable level..then it would a complete winner IMO. A lot of my friends are actually buying Phenoms II now as they're cheaper + the boards cost much less, so I think that Intel should really reconsider they're pricing policy for i5's to make them affordable for the market which they're intended to target :)

20. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    We are talking bout Intel lol they are not going to lower anything.

I thought about the AMD route again but then I compare the nightmare it was overclocking my Athlon 64 3500 venice core and the most I could get was an extra 150 Mhz.

Compared to

The bliss that it is to overclock my 8400 with no issues at all.