Msi p45 + q6600 OC

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by dizzie, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dizzie

dizzie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850
    Hello, looking for answers before i will even try to OC (asking doesn't hurt right?)

I have a MSI P45-Neo mainboard
    a Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    4x2GB Cosair XMS2 Extreme (800 Mhz)
    a Saphire 5770

Any reasonable way to pull more than 2.4 GHz out of my system?
    It runs great for sure, but more speed means i can encode/convert movies faster :)

Thanks in advance

2. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Neither does reading. First get yourself an idea what basic terms like VCore, CPU VID, FSB/DRAM Ratio and CPU Multiplier are and check the limits of your setup. You have a bigger chance for help when you ask specific questions. Each CPU/MB combination may react different, theres a lot of testing to do, no one else but yourself can do this anyway...

3. SpudMuffin

SpudMuffin Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970BE 900/1200
    +1

Googling doesn't hurt either, depending on CPU stepping you could hit 3.5Ghz easily - I did with that CPU, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P and GA-P35-DS3 mobos and a TRUE120 cooler

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, I dont know about 3.5 easily but your pretty much guaranteed 3ghz.

5. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    you will hit 3.0ghz easily anything about that will start to take a bit of tweaking.

Have you got a custom cooler on your CPU, the stock wont get you past 2.4ghz

6. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    +1 to the above post :)

7. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    you need to read, and learn and this is a good start. you need an aftermarket cpu cooler, to make sure it is cool. then it is fairly easy. your fsb changes the clock speed. yours stock is at 266 with a multiplier of 9. to get to 3.ghz you need to bump it up to 333 mhz on the fsb and leave the multiplier at 9. when you do this you need to bump the volts to the cpu up a little, maybe to 1.35 volts. last thing would be to change the dram divider. you want to keep it close to your stock ram settings, if it is 800 ddr2 then change the divider tell you get to 800 or close to it.
    after all that get occt and stress test the system and make sure it is good.read the manual for the motherboard for the bios settings cause they are all different.

8. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
  9. dizzie

dizzie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850
    A very few answers here that can be used the '+1' posts gets ignored, nevertheless, i got it to 3.240 GHz and how? well i could use a snappy reply as i just got here and say "google it" but...

First of Ji1986 i use the Corsair D50, and i use 4x2 GB Corsair XM2 Exteme DDR2 memorysticks, and second to that i really need a new motherboard. (45c idle temp is kinda bad, but my system is stable (4 hours+ with prime95 didnt toast anything)

Heres my magic numbers for those who might be so inclined :)

360 fsb x 9 (dont ask! it works)
    vCore 1.4375v
    DDR : 720mhz
    Timing : 4 4 4 12 2T
    1:1 divider ddr/fsb
    vDimm 2.2v
    nb voltage : 1.4
    vCore (idle/load) : 1.37v/1.28v

And btw., read my first post, all i asked for was answers, so who gave you the idea that i wouldnt go on and read about it? Perhaps i'm not the one who needs to read :)

Anyway.... as i said i need a new mainboard (P45) i dont mind MSI at all, but i do like the Gigabytes out there, i just cant make up my mind which one :)

Core temp (idle/load) 43/62

10. dizzie

dizzie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850
    Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G looks very nice ;)

11. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    your vcore is massive for the clock you got, try dropping it below 1.4v and do a stress test,

Unless you have already tried a lower vcore.

also your ram might hold you back from going much further. also your NB is a bit high as wel from memory.

as for the MB i havnt had experience with the gigabyte so not sure on how it will overclock.

12. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    That ram can be overclocked to about 1000Mhz easily.

13. hitsugy

hitsugy Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 470
    You can easily reach 3.6ghz with a Q6600 + P45 motherboard.

You just need to set 400mhz on FSB and 9x multiplier. This way you'll get a Q6600 @ 3.6ghz and the memos will be at 800mhz (their stock speed, wich is great for OC). You won't need nothing more than 3.6ghz for games (there's no bottleneck at this speed).

But, you should study a little bit about your voltages just for safety (What's your VID). Waste some time trying to discover what are the best voltage settings (temperature x stability) to stabilize your overclock (this is the fun part of the process ;))

14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    @Hitsugy, what do you mean by 'Waste some time trying to discover what are the best voltage settings'? When we, as overclockers, don't get the voltage right the global warming of the earth wil accelerate! Which means the dawn of men is nearer. So no 'wast of time' there. Second, you save on your energy bill (which is important ones you pay for it yourself). And the third reason will be degredation of the cpu.

Don't take the above to seriously please :)

15. hitsugy

hitsugy Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 470
    Hehehehe, man i agree with you ;) I was kidding hehehe..

This is the best part of overclocking! I mean, tweaking the voltages and finding the best clock your CPU and memos can get hehehe..

16. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    OP, going to a P43 board from a P45 would be a downgrade. I recommend as others have suggested. Read some guides and learn.

17. meran

meran Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    hmmmm i have an gigabyte ep45_ud3p i got it to 3.2 @ normal volts
    google ep45 ud3p with q6600 on guru 3d there was a good oc article