MSI Outs Bravo-15- Gaming laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H, Radeon RX 5500M and 144 Hz Full HD Srcreen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Master Guru

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    And upon hearing one bad review from TechTeamGB, MSI tried to extort them and pay them to not publish the review they did not like. The techtubers did not comply and published it anyway. Laptop is *okay* but there are vastly better options at the same price point.

AMD mobile processors ARE faster than Intel's, even with the same core/thread count, but when they're paired with a weaker GPU, it makes for an unfortunate somber pairing. Really wish companies would pair these processors with the faster 5600M instead. It's so much better...

3. pseudo555

pseudo555 Member

GPU:
    sapphire R580
    This laptop is almost the same as Alpha 15 (expect cpu, it's a ryzen 3000 for alpha) which was a real pain in the a** to stabilize (tons of bsod due to MSI special features incompatible with generic amd driver).

I agree with Imglidinhere, iGpu is really weak and takes way too much ram for nothing (2Gb over the 8 available) and can't be disabled (according to msi tech guys - to be confirmed, i don't dare to do it in bios) to use only the dGPU (4Gb on its own).
    Luckily you can reduce the ram allocated to iGPU in bios (this required a keyboard shortcut to display hiddens menus).

Anyhow, those (msi alpha & bravo) are the only "windows" laptop using the 5500m gpu (mac use pro variant, don't know what that change).

4. Yeah this turned me off. I doubt it's unique to MSI. The PR response could have been handled better. As well as the handling of the MSI Bravo.

EDIT:
    Thinking this over more when in that position it behooves one to understand you’re in a unique position to represent your company (PR). Decisions made will reflect on your company’s general image. Optics, I feel part of this has to do with optics.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I have seen this laptop as well. The cooing system really sucks from what TechTeamGB have said. It looks like they pulled an Apple if you look and see how the cooling setup is. I know that MSI can do better than this because they have other laptops with more adequate cooling solutions than this pile of junk. Even Steven From GN has had trouble with MSI in the past. in like 2017 or so they received a laptop that had a damaged part of the monitor and they said something about it during the review of that laptop and MSI bitched at them for it saying why did you say something about the damage? It seems like it to me that MSI has reached the level of some indie game devs who can't take constructive criticism and they try to extort reviewers in a similar manner the only thing different is that the Indie devs abuse YouTube's DMCA system and do bogus take downs of videos that they do not like. Thank God that MSI hasn't done that yet.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Yes good point. I recall incidents such as Stefan Etienne’s PC build while he was a Technology Editor for The Verge & the aftermath that ensued. The “Streisand Effect” Vox’s lawyers mounting an aggressive takedown campaign against YouTubers. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tubers-who-mocked-its-bad-pc-building-advice/

Other examples of recent memory, Suzy Lu & boyfriend supposed lawyer Steejo.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh yes. Heard of this stuff and the infamous The Verge $2000 Gaming PC and Vox DMCA abuse incident.

8. *Sigh yeah unfortunate stuff. Career defining. Not in a good way.

EDIT: What I’m having trouble articulating is I think unfair targeting or treatment causes one to grow a thick skin. Many of these channel owners have that. I imagine they’ve dealt with their fair share. YouTube’s system can be very .... nepotistic, partial or just out right confusing at times when you consider their T&C as well as GDRP (UK/EU) and copyright laws that are supposed to regulate certain content depending on the given situation or issue at hand. The lines get blurred a lot with EDU, news and informational. They shouldn’t.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2020