MSI Launches Modern 15 Laptop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MSI has introduced the Modern 15, the latest laptop from its content creation series to the public. Weighing only 1.6kg, the light Modern 15 features all that mobile users could ever need- great port...

MSI Launches Modern 15 Laptop

K.S. likes this.
  2. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    No ethernet port, no fun.

3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Yeah I hear ya, but MSI's intent for their "Modern Laptop" is an ultra-book. Their original product page for the 14" edition (15 isn't hosted yet) states this series is a "ultra-light" and "ultra-thin" class of notebooks with thin bezels. A half-expanding Ethernet jack could still be pushing it. For integrated NICs you're better with the MSI GS Stealth Thin. They are great.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    They come with a usb ethernet adapter (at least the modern 14 with an i5 did). I used it with 1807 win10 installer and it had drivers for the usb ethernet already, so at least they aren't leaving you high and dry on ethernet.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    USB 3.0 (3.x Gen1) bandwidth is much faster than 1000BASE-T, almost 5 times faster.
    There is no drawback for using USB to Eth. adapter, I have for example some new 2.5GBASE-T ( 2.5gigabits ) adapters and they work flawlessly with no slowdowns.

We have really reached the stage where integrated RJ-45 port for Ethernet is no longer necessary.

6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Adapter is annoying, notebook si thick enough for this port.. I wonder is somewhere some real test with comparision of ethernet vs. ethernet throught USB and its CPU footprint? It could be same as SATA even USB what is not good..

7. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    *mutters to self* then clearly this laptop isn't made for the likes of you lol...*joking

looks like these average around $1,099.00 ... 15" integrated nic laptops I can think of msi does average $1,200.00 approx / far as premium, portable, and thin. Can't speak for the cheapest possible thing you can find out there.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019