MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X Coil Whine

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tran the, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:52 AM.

1. tran the

tran the New Member

GPU:
    gtx
    Anyone else with this particular card getting coil whine in very HIGH FPS scenarios where v-sync is off? off off off

Hilbert: very sophisticated spam. Account banned and I'll leave this post here as example. The guy had spam links hidden under the words off off off. Guys if you see something this again, please hit the report button.

The Witcher 3 Menu with no mods, no sweet fx or reshade, and no vsync gets 2000+ FPS. It's a good place to test. Mute your speakers and listen to the card.

Temperatures are very safe, below 60 degrees, but coil whine is audible. Very audible.

Games like Fifa 16 with v-sync off you can hear too when the game is running at 200+ FPS.

Is this a common issue? High FPS = Coil Whine? I believe I remember it happening with my AMD HD 7970 too in high FPS situations, but it wasn't as loud (probably because FPS never reached that high) and it wasn't as often (because FPS never went this high).

Card is perfectly normal running with vsync or when the FPS is capped running any game for hours with no noise whatsoever. Or even without vsync as long as FPS is not too high.

The higher the FPS the louder the coil whine noise.

And who knows maybe it's not even the videocard making the noise at high FPS, but I don't know what else could really...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That's normal.
    High load or high FPS causes higher frequency in inductors, which causes a resonance.

Sometimes PSU can be culprit too though.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  3. Hammie

Hammie Master Guru

GPU:
    760 SMG 28" 1ms 3840x2160
    Its the fan, RMA or replace it. gl

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
    Most high-end cards today coil whine, it's just a question of how much.

Another thing to take into account is that coil whine can decrease over time so if a new card is bought, it's advisable to give two weeks to "settle in".

fantaskarsef likes this.