1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI Gaming OSD App offers an optimized mode for RTX Ray-tracing in October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Why does this make ray tracing better? Can someone explain? The post is just pure 100% marketing speech and 0% information :-/

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    The only thing that springs to mind is backlight control and such....or even just a specific static setting for a game.
    needs more explaining for sure, but i'm pretty confident that it will be a bit over-hyped by their marketing people ;)

4. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD
    Ummm....look at my avatar

5. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    MSI couldn't resist and joined RTX hypetrain... ChooChoo :D

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I remember back when I got my MSI Gaming 1080Ti that I installed this for the LED color changing. However it was quite crappy as it conflicted with my MSI AB OC settings and basically messed everything up. In the end I uninstalled it and left the LED to its default white, but with a sour taste, as I did like the "pulse" effect. It's a real shame that MSI still insists with this separate software instead of merging everything with MSI AB. :oops:

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Looks to be purely a monitor calibration software, or rather than calibration it's something like a bunch of standard and advanced settings and overrides. I'd avoid it but I guess for inexperienced users it might be handy to have some easier form of control over some of these settings without going into NVCP/CNext (NVIDIA and AMD's GPU control panel software respectively.) or display options for the OS or other third party utilities such as CRU.

Though you now have yet another overlay and assorted software running and a chance of compatibility problems resulting from that.
    (Well to be fair most of them work fairly well together as long as you don't chain up a really lengthy hook of all sorts of injectors, overlays and third party programs I guess. Ha ha.)

RTX and Ray Tracing ~ better yeah that's marketing I see nothing but monitor settings in the example image and some "enhancements" like sharpening pfft.

Wanna make it better use something like Afterburner and get the GPU overclocked a bit and that's going to take effect more than fiddling with brightness and contrast and some other overrides.
    (Though I guess even with the new assistant software overclocking is also a bit of a advanced undertaking for most users and not something you just dive into casually, well usually at least.)

Solfaur likes this.
  8. ivan

ivan Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080ti
    Hold on, did i see FreeSync in there next to image enhancement?

9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    Yep I see it too.

10. ivan

ivan Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080ti
    FreeSync on NVIDIA cards would definitely be a game-changer.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Will never happen. This is just MSI sending out marketing nonsense and a UI mockup.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    This kind of news should have NSFW warning. I try not to laugh in office.

Solfaur and RealNC like this.
  13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s for me and not you.

14. ivan

ivan Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080ti
    Not sure what you mean there.
    I have a 144hz frresync monitor on my Nvidia Card because i cant afford the ridiculously overpriced G-Sync. Would definitely be a game changer for me.

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ Vega 64
    It’ll never happen as long as G-sync exists. Nvidia loves their proprietary stuff.
    Edit: I mean our monitors have the “generic” Adaptive Sync that everyone can use but hey fancy stuff like Freesync and Gsync are what’s getting used.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Sounds like snake oil to me, can't begin to imagine what the purpose is of this!

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Probably just MSI trying to lure Nvidia users with RTX cards into buying their monitor. Freesync will never be available on Nvidia cards.