MSI Creator 15 4K (Is it G-Sync)

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Kevin Mauro, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Does anyone know if the 2021 MSI Creator 15 4K panel is Gsync compatible or not? In addition, while I am aware that it operates at 60Hz does anyone know if you can natively increase that refresh rate to anything higher than 60Hz at 2K resolution (using the same panel).

EDIT: I'm referring to the latest iteration from MSI themselves, if you go to their website click "buy now" under the link for the creator edition under the 3070 option it will send you here as no other options are shown on their own site and on Amazon it says the seller is actually Amazon.com & part of their official "MSI store" be advised there are some typos in the listing and they've acknowledged this already (yet haven't spent the time to fix them lol)

Amazon.com: MSI Creator 15 Professional Laptop: 15.6" 4K UHD Ultra-Thin Bezel Display, Intel Core i7-10875H, GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, Thunderbolt 3, 100% Adobe RGB, Win10 PRO (A10UG-286): Electronics

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Be aware that laptops and monitors can be identical as model, but as batch/SN can feature one or several different panels.
    To really know if that model is it isn't what you want to know, direct hardware testing is required.
    Even so, nobody can really guarantee that what you'll get has the same identical panel.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  3. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Ahhh that's not so bad. I can exchange and try then as you say. It has all else I need which makes so tempting that or a Razer QHD from local BestBuy. I wish I didn't have OCD ha! You know one thing I was dismayed to find out after trying a few laptops of this generation? (I've been going through a few) So apparently far as I can tell no current AMD gaming laptop (RTX 3XXX) series on the market uses a MUX chip. I was really bummed to find this out the long way (try, exchange, etc) HP OMEN (RYZEN) 15 2021 is identical to the Intel variant except for Thunderbolt and well the MUX switcher. What that does is a few things. 1) among others - takes away support for resizeable bar 2) No Gsync panels (although you have some sketchy Freesync support it has high latency due to running through the iGPU as well)

My point is only to illustrate how it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it'd be trying to settle on an RTX 3xxx series and or Studio series laptop of this generation due to the technical nuances behind them. I mean sure that can be said for anything but I was a little bit surprised that the mobile versions were in essence "gimped" as opposed to desktop counterparts (half a full PCI-E bus as well) The mobile chipset backing these 5xxxx series Ryzen CPUs seems to have many great successes and still on the same token its work cut out for it - we'll likely see more fleshed out aspects introduced in the next iteration I'd imagine as where it is now is doing pretty well but if you're using this for very intensive tasks you may still appreciate technologies like G-Sync, a full x16 lane count backing the GPU, Thunderbolt (I mean it is a laptop) as well as direct I/O for the GPU (RBAR)

Hmm never thought parting out my desktop computer would lead me down a path of discovery and "laptop enlightenment" - yeah I'm totally kidding because the way mobile gaming devices are marketed is confusing and I would rather just grab one based on what I "think I am getting" and be done with it ... also the adaption rate or ... lack thereof to the 11th gen is interesting to take note of. I noticed many ODMs opt for the lower end (lower thermal profile) 4 core 11th gen CPU in hopes to add more wattage to their GPUs (mainly RTX 3060s and 3070s) only to have that backfire in reviews - they still lost as ... there's just not enough sheer "processing power in the CPU space against - well everything else. So... I was surprised to see that and ... yeah there is so much I think "gee this didn't go to QA or R&D and get flagged??" oh well...

@anticupidon I should have linked it Amazon.com: MSI Creator 15 Professional Laptop: 15.6" 4K UHD Ultra-Thin Bezel Display, Intel Core i7-10875H, GeForce RTX 3070 SUPER, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, Thunderbolt 3, 100% Adobe RGB, Win10 PRO (A10UG-286): Electronics

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Update: It has a MUX but is not G-Sync