MSI Big bang X58 XPower motherboard review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 26, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

MSI Big bang X58 XPower motherboard review. We test and review the XPower from MSI. Last month Intel added a new processor in the line-up the ever so strong Core i7 980 Extreme six-core processor. Seriously...

More...

2. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    wicked review love the lay out and the oc genie but kinder only thing i really seen is that the amd chip keeps up with this and cost 2x as cheap in games but so much cheaper way to go at my res

3. Spetznaz

Spetznaz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 512MB @ 750
    Good alternative to the asus r3e. Not supporting quad-sli is a real downer

4. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    Now we have seen the CPU performance on this big motherboard, I think I’d like to see how it performs with SLI to compare it to the AUSU R III Ex.

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    So would SLI be 16x 16x? Tri SLI 16x 8x 8x?

6. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    it's sweet, but I'm not spending $300-400 on a mobo - I'd consider it someday if I actually could use all 6 of the PCIE x 16 slots, but basically you are wasting 2-3 of them since Tri SLI is the max you can go (+ PHYSX card maybe...) "/

7. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Each time MSI release a new mobo, they success to surprise me, look really nice for OC, will maybe start to consider buy one ...

8. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    That is one awesome review Hilbert!! Thanks for the experience! I need to get one of these for the overclocking competition in june!!

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    found a small typo guys. not being mean, just reporting :)

on page 2

:nerd:

10. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    MSI specifications are 6 PCIE: Gen2 (2x16, 2x8, 2x4) so if you use 3-way SLI it will be 16, 8, 8 and it does not support 4-way SLI.

11. Waiting4Nehalem

Waiting4Nehalem New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
    Did you not see how high your NB temp went? It was at 107C on page 10!

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah we did. We test outside a chassis (no airflow), on a test bench. This time arround we used LCS for the CPU, not giving any airflow to the NB whatsoever. Once we noticed the temp we placed a fan near the mobo to create some airflow, temps went down quickly (as they should inside a chassis) below 70C.

Mind you that this occured during a hefty overclock @ 4.5 GHz, not in a default configuration.

13. SicBoy

SicBoy New Member

GPU:
    3x GTX 285
    Hey, does anyone know what kind of test bench that is used for the review? It's very clean, I want one!

14. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I have same problem on my gigabyte, the VTT/QPI is rarely under 60°C when i oc the CPU ... and this is with a fan who blow on it, i don't want to test without the fan

15. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Ditto! I'm looking for a test bench as well and this one is definitely worth looking into. Identify it, please!

16. douglatins

douglatins Guest

Does this board have 3way sli?

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No PCI slots is a killer for me. Looks fantastic otherwise, but not everything is PCI-E yet, not even close.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i absolutely love MSI mobos, never had a problem with any of them unlike Gigabyte and Asus which is unfortunate, although i simply prefer original intel mobos such as my DX58SO since i do not need all the bells and whistles and they're often the most stable but not exactly the fastest.

great review, i have to agree about the price it's too much for the average user and the lack of PCI slots can be a problem for some.

19. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    Again with no FSB overclocking?

HH, most users have to overclock this way and alot of people that come here are overclockers.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Again with the repetitive remarks ?

FYI - FSB does noet exsist anymore. We give a darn good indication how much you can OC, the baseclock (your FSB) was OCed to I think 160 something MHz in the review.

In the end how an end-user decides to OC is his/her choice. We opt for maximum stability and ~4500 MHz on the Core i7 980X -- we'll I can't call that even unimpressive or something. It is a very good indication what you can manage with a board like this.

It's about finding the right combo with good performance and stability. If you prefer a high baseclock .. that's your call. This board will not be the limitation alright.