1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Msi Afterburner weird reading. Gpuz normal.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by jmmy23, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hello. I have a question. I am using Rtx 2080 Ti Waterforce and 9900K and Corsair 850RmX. ALL stock,no oc.
    I run 3dmark firestrike 1920x1080. Monitor 1440P native.
    Using Msi Afterburner not the newest,and riva tuner statistic.

In some moment in looped test, i saw a clock dip from 1980mhz to 1570mhz. GPU LOAD not changed,it was 96%. Only gpu clock dip for a second. I checked in history and it was power usage drop to 58%.
    But then i look at gpuz and gpuz not report that,all was fine,no drop in clock and power.

Screen:
    [​IMG]

58% power,96% gpu load,clock 1570mhz. Like i said i checked gpuz and nothing like that in gpuz.
    Any ideas? Somebody maybe tell me what it happened?

On games i never saw that. Even try to replicate but it cant happen again.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's not a weird reading, that's misunderstanding of key monitoring principles. To be able to catch exactly the same short changes in hardware state you must be sure that other software (GPUZ or anything else) is polling sensors with exactly the same frequency, at exactly the same moments of time. You physically cannot provide the same sampling conditions.

3. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    So why that happened , can you explain me?

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    If you are using/running two pieces of software simultaneously he did explain it to you.

5. Unwinder

Clocks are not supposed to be static and such GPU behavior is ABSOLUTELY normal.

6. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hey. Really appreciate it for help. So just last question. Why it happened just once? Thx

7. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok last question.

[​IMG]

So its not psu or gpu issue? I ask because like you see on diagram.

Red arrows. First time gpu power drop to 20%,GPU LOAD stays 96% ,but clock steady 1980mhz
    Red arrows 2: Gpu power drop to 58%,GPU LOAD still stays 96%, but this time clock dropped to 1575 mhz for a second.

And why then GPU LOAD not dropped?

Anyway i cant reproduce this again with the same apps in background. Now its smooth without that stutter,weird.

But its was not hardware related?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  8. Unwinder

Once again, it is absolutely normal.

9. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok last question i swear. Why on this moments i had power drop ( TDP ) from 90-100% to 58% or 25%?

10. Unwinder

Probably because power is a function of both clock and voltage? Stop searching for a black cat in a dark room, there is nothing wrong with your system.

anxious_f0x likes this.

11. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hello again. I run TimeSpy looped gpu test 1. Clock during 40 minutes was 1920-1970mhz with random power usage. But one time it dropped to 1800mhz. Is this normal? Screens:

[​IMG]

And 1800mhz for 1ms ( 72 power ):

[​IMG]

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes.

Andy_K likes this.
  13. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hey last question and we can close topic. So it was not related to faulty GPU?:) I mean that gpu power drops and clock dip one time.

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Right, normal behavior.

15. jmmy23

jmmy23 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hello. Last question i swear, and we can close topic. Just curious. Maybe explain ;) ;)

[​IMG]

First drop ( first red arrows ). Gpu power drops to 40% for 1ms, but clock stayed steady 1965mhz.
    Second drop ( second red arrows ). Gpu power drops to 58% for 1ms,but this time clock dropped to 1575mhz for 1ms.

So why on first time clock was not dropped,when on second time yes? Anyway that doesnt matter,and its ok?

16. Unwinder

Stop that. It is not fun at all. You’ve been told by multiple independent users that your system behaves NORMAL. Closed in order to stop seeing this thread bumped by you again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.