Msi Afterburner + Wattman not getting along?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by squallypoh, Oct 13, 2018.

1. squallypoh

squallypoh Member

GPU:
    rx 570 gigabyte 4gb
    ive been recently testing some stuff with both programs at the same time and ive noticed some interesting stuff.
    1- when shutting down afterburner and only using wattman, the program readings seem to behave quite different than when it does with afterburner, for example the fan gets more aggresive on wattman even if you tinker it and the temps seems to be a few degrees higher than when using msi afterburner at the same time the temp reading on afterburner and fan ramping acts not so agressive yet the temperatures seems to be on what its required for the fan so im not sure who is lying here. (tested game has been star wars battlefront 2)

2- i noticed that when i changed the gpu clocks on the wattman with afterburner on, the data doesnt seem to change on the monitoring, example: default 1245mhz, changed to 1225, rivatuner says 1245 instead, whats going on ?

3- wattman monitoring software apparently doesnt work with all the games, cause i tried it with star wars battlefront 2 and i cant bring up the monitoring in game.

4- it would be awesome if RivaTuner could be applied to radeon software, but idk if thats possible.

with that being said ive always used Msi afterburner before getting my new rx 570 card (used to have a gtx 750 ti) but since then ive been wondering about the monitoring and fan aspects of these softwares, clearly i love msi afterburner fan curve setting is just way too good rather than wattmans, not to mention afterburner gives you a functional monitoring software with any game so far.

what are your thoughts? which one seems to be faulty/less accurate, or perhaps they both having conflicts when they both on at the same time?

as side note if msi afterburner is not liking wattman, then perhaps is there another monitoring software with fan control system that i could use that will not fight with wattman? or is there a way to uninstall wattman.
    at this point idk which is accurate no longer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    going by memory, AMD does not expose an actual API in the same way nvidia does with its NVAPI, so running the two apps together could be locking each other out,

usually shareable compatible mutex's would prevent this lock out, but amd has their way of doing things and Unwinder has his, luckily in this case both are probably using global mutex's so as not to lockup and bsod the system.

Some pressure on AMD to implement safe sensor and control API's would be good.

JonasBeckman and squallypoh like this.
  3. squallypoh

squallypoh Member

GPU:
    rx 570 gigabyte 4gb
    what would be your suggestion for me in this scenario?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i don't see a way to uninstall or disable wattman, this is bad design AMD.

It looks like AMD knows, and doesn't care.

People keep asking why nvidia doesn't include this stuff in the driver citing AMD's, but atleast nvidia is taking the all or nothing approach and not going the incompetency route.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Fan curve is a software technology, you cannot expect fans to behave the same with MSI AB on and off. When AB is running and fan curve is activated, default AMD auto fan control is disabled and AB is controlling the fan depending on temperature curve. When you close it automatic fan speed control is performed by AMD hardware controller. So that's normal and expected.

Learn how AMD power/clock management works, that's quite different comparing to your old NV card. MSI AB is controlling clocks for highest power state (DPM7) only on AMD cards. So that's also normal if you're altering lower power states.

squallypoh and Astyanax like this.