MSI Afterburner isn't starting up when using a non-admin user (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Chekandu, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Chekandu

Chekandu Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia MSI GT610
    Hello, this is my first post.

As the title says, when i use a non-admin user on Windows afterburner doesn't start up automatically. I have to open it manually.

I tried using task schedule with high privileges, but the problem stills.

Any solutions?, btw i'm using a non-admin user as daily use for security reasons, so i'm interesed in keep this.

Thank you.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

System requirements section of the application's readme clearly states that administrative rights are mandatory.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You need to delve into the realm of helper services to pull off standard account starts of ring0 and hooking tools, its just pointless.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nope. It is not pointless, it is correct way to go. Moving to a model with helper service will result in having hardware access driver installed and running all the time and available to any non-admin applications when AB is not running. Installing it during application runtime only is much safer approach and admin rights are mandatory for service installation/uninstallation. Also, during the last couple years good part of NVAPI is also locked for non admin applications (thanks to mining viruses).

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is how EAC handles driver starts and stops on games launched at Standard user level, so in that particular case there is a point for it, I should have said that particular use cases are needed for it rather than that its pointless.