MSI Afterburner internally switches "Tuning control" to "Manual" mode automatically

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by EpsilonsQc, Sep 19, 2021.

1. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Dear unwinder,

Any possibility that you add a toggle to turn this functionality ON & OFF at will in a future revision or is it already possible to do so if i'm only using MSI Afterburner for monitoring and not for hardware tuning purpose?
    • MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 5 : one minor functionality upgrade for AMD Radeon RX 6800/6900 users :
      Now it internally switches "Tuning control" to "Manual" mode automatically, so it is not necessary to do it yourself in AMD Radeon Software control panel.
    Thanks for your time,
    Regards.

2. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    To fix that in a end-user friendly way, a drop-down menu for AMD dGPU's to toggle various GPU Tunings presets would be nice.

GPU tunings drop-down :
    • CUSTOM mode (*enabled by default for manual tuning) : AMD Radeon Software GPU Tuning Control = Custom
    • DEFAULT mode : AMD Radeon Software GPU Tuning Control = Default
    • QUIET mode : AMD Radeon Software GPU Tuning Control = Quiet
    • BALANCED mode : AMD Radeon Software GPU Tuning Control = Balanced
    • RAGE mode : AMD Radeon Software GPU Tuning Control = Rage (+6% power limit)
    With a tooltips stating that all the modes disable "manual tuning" except for the "CUSTOM" mode, which is enabled by default for manual tuning.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No

EpsilonsQc likes this.
  4. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Hey, thanks for the reply Unwinder. I guess i'll have to use an older version prior to MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 5 for the foreseable futur to not be forced onto that "Manual" mode automatically.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Alternately, try to read previously posted info more carefully. It is not forced, it is optional since beginning and can be controlled by power users by changing TuningControlOverride config entry. The rest is up to you, reading forum is useful thing.

6. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Oh, interesting. I'll dig into that. My main source of info was the published changelog on guru3d, not the forum, so i may be lacking precious pieces of knowledge.

7. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Found it. Thanks for the info.

[​IMG]

8. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    My last question would be : is it normal that since I turned "TuningControlOverride" off ( = 0 ), when I set AMD Radeon Software to "RAGE" mode, I no longer see the Power limit (%) +6 on MSi Afterburner, which was the case previously ?

9. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    OK don't mind me haha.

I had to delete my profiles (right-click on them) and disable the "Apply at Windows Startup" setting and also enable "Erase autosaved startup settings" then reboot then disable "Erase autosaved startup settings".

Now all is fine and good, just like I wanted it. My Radeon Software RAGE mode stay ON and I see my +6% power limit on MSI Afterburner, and I can use the RTSS OSD to monitor my CPU and GPU temps, usage %, FPS, etc

10. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Oh one last thing, being able to disable those tabs in MSI Afterburner with MSIAfterburner.cfg is a dream come true. Especially since all those options are present in the RTSS HotkeyHandler plugin.

ShowOnScreenDisplayTab
    ShowBenchmarkTab
    ShowScreenCaptureTab
    ShowVideoCaptureTab

Now that I discovered the so-called "power users" options, I love the app even more.

Unwinder likes this.