1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI Afterburner / HD5970 Voltage Setting /Everest Monitoring

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tronicson, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    Hi

I have a strange issue here. I use a XFX HD 5970 and it's oced with MSI Afterburner to 975/1175 with 1.225v

I observe all senseful parameters with Everest in the Sidebar and on the LCD Panel of my Logitech G19 Keyboard.

Now what i experience the last days - happened now already a couple of times - is, that suddenly the voltage for the GPU is at frightening 1,650v and some minutes ago for the 2nd GPU it was even shown at 2,050v.. this is insane high!

You guys now certainly think what i thought when i saw this... "Well thats some missinformation, Everest got crazy with getting the values" But - the temps are also out of normal range in idle state.. normally they are 32° when doing nothing - but here the core with more voltage was significantly (about 10°) warmer than the other one.. so this makes me suspicous in a way, that it is happening really!

Even more the 2nd GPU disappeared completely out of Everest - 0° values and still 2,050v (well i tought, that was it - one core is dead) - but i switched off the PC and restarted after a while (turned also off the PSU and let the Mobo power down) wow, there it was again... now its ok again, but it scares me a bit to happen again and destroy my expensive card suddenly!

I am desperately looking for a BIOS that is set to my findings that are stable - and flash that on the card! But i don't really get it to work with the ATI Flash tool..

Somebody of you pro's would have time and the mood to help me out and customize the BIOS for me (without warranty of course) - that would be more professional than using a crappy piece of software from a different vendor to overclock a quite expensive graphicscard

2. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Allright, here's what I did, I modified the BIOSes for an XFX 5970 (Master & Slave), to operate at 975/1175 with 1.225v. I included everything you should need to flash your card in a 7zip self-extracting archive located here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1WXFCWJH or here: http://www.easy-share.com/1909547659/Bios tool & modified xfx 5970 bioses.exe
    (If the links don't work just tell me and I'll fix it.)

EDIT: If you have any questions about how to use any of the files I posted, just ask, and I'll help as much as I can.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    wow, thats very kind of you.. probably the most positive experience i've ever made in a forum - hurray :-D

i will flash these right away, and give you feedback! :)

EDIT:
    i applied with winflash the 2 bios (master slave to according selection) deinstalled the driver + driver sweeper, then i rebooted and installed the driver again (10.2) but after the reboot i always have a black screen when the desktop should show up..

the tool for bios update from XFX is using atiflash - but they also use .bin files... shall i try once with atiflash - but rom is not the same as bin i think

the card is allowed to load this settings via bios? (if i check additional features in RBE, i see there under "method2 no - hash" that the max is 725/1000 - maybe it cannot exceed that limit?

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    hmmm, well I assume you backed up your original bios, if not check out techpowerup for the one you need if what I made doesn't work. Sorry, but bios flashing can be tricky sometimes... About the black screen, it sounds like some sort of feature, or lock possibly causing issues (check the bios for any "Limits" for oc'ing) Other than that I would just flash back to originals if your card can't handle the frequencies you want it to through bios flashing. Use ATIOverdrive instead for overclocking. (I personally had some issues with overclocking my 5750s via bios, so I just use overdrive.)

BTW: .rom is the same as .bin so you can rename a .bin to a .rom or vice-versa.

Again, sorry if it didn't work right.

5. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    no problem :)

yes i had a usb stick ready with the original ones.. but it was not so bad, i could start and just when the desktop should have appeared, i got a black screen/ reboot...

can i just increase the limit at "additional features" method2? as there is currently 725/1000 as a max (so i assume it hits this wall when it tries at the desktop to go to the 975/1175 - which work fine with msi afterburner)

6. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    somebody has modified a bios for a 5970 for own purposes that he would like to share?

7. Picard1701E

Picard1701E New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5970
    Hello everyone,

i'm new to this forum.

Is there any news about a modiffied bios for the 5970 which is working? Stock bios's from several cards are all working, but as soon as you modify the clock speed and voltage of each of the bios's, windows will crash upon loading like tronicson said.

Anymore ideas?

Picard :)