1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI afterburner freeze my image in old games if i stop it

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by gordon93, Feb 27, 2019.

1. gordon93

gordon93 New Member

GPU:
    FuryX
    cheers to all.
    I discover a weird thing in old games.I start Warcraft 3 game ,i alt-tab,i come back to game,i alt tab again and if I choose to OFF MSI afterburner and come back again to my game ,my image completely freeze,but sound still working don't blocked.Only hard reset work.I make a movie to see what happen.Why msi afterburner freeze my image in this game?in another modern game don t have problem.Thanks

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

The chances to see it investigated for abandoned D3D8 API and for such sophisticated usage case are equal to zero I'm afraid, sorry. There are way more priority tasks.

3. gordon93

gordon93 New Member

GPU:
    FuryX
    no problem just asked.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My guess would be since the overlay on screen is still present after exiting Afterburner, that the API hooking is not exiting gracefully. But yeah...considering you basically have to manipulate a crash...

5. gordon93

gordon93 New Member

GPU:
    FuryX
    yes but how u explain if I make same thing on another game,my PC don't freeze anymore.Just in this Warcraft 3.Weird...

6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    Does that other game also use Direct3D 8? If not, they're not comparable.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Warcraft 3 1.30+ uses D3D9, Unwinder, it is also likely to have the same renderer reused albeit with expanded capabilities with the Reforged update coming later this year (though i also see d3d11 and 12 functions in the binary)

It also has an OpenGL renderer which you can turn on with 1.30.xxx by adding

Reg Dword "Gfx OpenGL:1" to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III

I would just advise not terminating the rtss application while a game is running, not all of them handle it well, and especially when in combination with sweetfx/reshade.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. gordon93

gordon93 New Member

GPU:
    FuryX
    yes, if I don't close rtss while playing warcraft 3, I don't have any problems.So I'm aware to do this in the future.I playing on patch 1.26a because I play this game on private client platform not on official blizzard servers.I see on battle.net client is another version of warcraf 3 reforged with better textures,WOW!

anyway I want to say I love this msi afterburner, is the best tweak.Keep up the good work.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

And one more unnecessary purchase in my collection, hehe. Just had to pay for WC3 Reforged pre-order, as it is currently the only option to get legal copy of classic WC3. The latest renderer in D3D9, and it works fine with AB/RTSS terminated during application runtime. Sad.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    So its probably 1.26a at fault, i'd not be surprised i remember that version had some issues even when i was using it back then for DOTA.

Since you're on 1.26a, you should either pass -opengl in a command line or alter the games config in the registry to turn lockfb off - though you might not be affected by that old framerate issue on a Fury X....

http://wiki.eurobattle.net/index.php?title=How_to_increase_FPS_in_Warcraft_III

11. gordon93

gordon93 New Member

GPU:
    FuryX
    I understand perfectly.AB abandoned project for d3d8 because is very old and ineffective.Thanks,
    Astyanax that command work perfectly on win 7 and win 8.On win 10 is not.i have win 10 and even if I don t play on official servers I must keep client b.net in tray to support 60-64fps in game.If I close b.net client my framerate drop to 48 fps and is unplayable.No matter video card I have,fury x or gtx 980ti.
    this weird thing is available only on win 10.On win 7 or win 8 is working flawless without any b.net client ON in tray.i read from internet about this issue and many people say is from latest update of win 10 and is version 1809.So this update is fault for many old games.Maybe future update resolve this issue,i pray for that.
    I hate win 10....this game lag like hell in win 10 even with b.net client open in task.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019