MSI Afterburner deactivates NVidia Optimus (switching graphics)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by mironicus, Sep 27, 2018.

1. mironicus

mironicus Guest

GPU:
    After installing the latest NVidia drivers 411.70 and starting MSI Afterburner the program constantly activates the discrete NVidia graphics on my MSI laptop with NVidia Optimus (status led is constantly orange). After exiting MSI Afterburner the graphics switches back to Intel and the status led is back to white. This causes the laptop to constantly drain more power.

This does not happen with NVidia drivers 399.24 and before (switching graphics works with MSI Afterburner running in the background).

????

maffle likes this.
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Laptops are not supported

3. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    This is... nonsense. It worked for years normally.

I can confirm the issue. Noticed, that opening AB results in a 14W usage package power shown in ThrottleStop, even AB claims the dGPU is at idle and off (0MHz).

4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Nonsense... ah...ok... Readme is nonsense, right. o_O
    [​IMG]

5. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    Cool. And? Is this a reason not to fix this? Stop black and white arguments. Sometimes being ignorant is not a good solution to something. AB worked normally forever with laptops (except some areas like voltage regulation or fan control) even if it was "on paper" not """officially supported""".

"Mom, Dad! There is an UFO over the fence, look!"
    "No honey, there is no UFO."
    "But Mom, look, it's just there!"
    "No honey, look at the sign: 'NO UFOS HERE!' KEEP MOVING!"

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    When it specifically says mobile GPUs are not supported, then Unwinder isn't going to spend time and money to fix your problem specific to a mobile GPU.
    So no it isn't nonsense.

Andy_K likes this.
  7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

And? I own 99% of desktop graphics cards, which we declare as officially supported by software. That's required for proper testing, development and troubleshooting. You're free to provide samples of each model of laptop you wish to see supported, by I'm more than certain that you'll dislike such solution.

Falkentyne and user1 like this.
  8. p3cm4p9ah3x4pa3

p3cm4p9ah3x4pa3 Guest

GPU:
    MALI400
    Yes, worked like a charm so many years on my 1070 max-q. no oc whatever, just a fancy informative overlay showing me the basic info i needed. i dont know how many hours i put into this getting it to work after several new installs, new drivers and so on. today, im done. tried so many legacy drivers for the 1070, tried several afterburner releases and reading this ignorant answere here just makes me angry. i dont have the time for this bs anymore.

and yea, i just registred for this post. so angry iam.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  9. Unwinder

I have neither wish nor time to reply to such kind of “polite” posts from forum newbies too. Bye.

FatBoyNL likes this.
  10. p384hfmp98hm3p9xq

p384hfmp98hm3p9xq Guest

GPU:
    no
    you started it, simple as that.
    and a real classic move just banning the ppl not going your way. bye.

11. Unwinder

And one more bot is leaving us. You’re banned because your post contains nothing but hate. And if you don’t get it - that’s your personal issue. Registering new fake accounts won’t help, coward.

12. p9x8mhfp39mahfp

p9x8mhfp39mahfp Guest

GPU:
    no
    whatever you say man.