MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsschenSukar

AsschenSukar New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD6950+70 2GB
    Solved Runtime error

It seems that, after a lot of experimentation, I fixed the problem with the Runtime error. I have tried installing older versions of Afterburner and I have tried doing a system restore, both of which did nothing to solve my problem. Then I noticed a lot of files staying behind in the Program Files folder after having uninstalled Afterburner, so I backed up my Profiles folder and deleted the rest, followed by a new install and -- presto! -- no more Runtime error! Quite an intriguing matter. Now it's back to sufficiently cooling my pc with this lovely program!

2. demonslayer

demonslayer New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4G GTX 980
    Just installed my new MSI GTX 980 4G

Afterburner only detects one fan, When I set a custom fan curve only 1 fan spins.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Who promised you that it will control both? It will always be that way, any native NVIDIA driver based fan control software including AB will control single fan only on that card. Somebody in MSI decided that it is cool to have one more fan with independent fan controller, now you need to install one more sw from MSI if you wish to control it. AB won't help you to control it neither now nor in future.

4. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Not sure why but MSI Afterburner is reporting CPU temps that are about 10c cooler than other monitoring apps (Tested with HWiNFO64, CPUID HWMonitor, SpeedFan and ASUS AI Suite III).

Running i7-5930k and ASUS X99-Deluxe.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    CPU monitoring for Intel is a bone that Alex thru into Ab out of the kindness of his heart. IIRC no guarantees are noted in the release notes as to it's accuracies. Since Ab is mainly a GPU software I wouldn't expect too much for consistant updates.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    It works here fine on 3570k , same as other apps .

One note though if you have two monitoring apps open you can get a bug were core fails to report correct values .
    I see this happen in OCCT if I run it CPU test and its own temps will bug out if another monitoring app is running .

Maybe the new X99 needs some extra support , IDK .

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hmm, never noticed this before, but it seems like Afterburner is only seeing 8GB of System RAM on my machine - I just ran OCCT to make sure there was nothing wrong physically and it happily filled up to almost max - Afterburner then reported that my RAM had maxed out at 8GB and then the 8GB Pagefile had also maxed out

EDIT - Confused, just noticed the red "max" value to the right of "min" - so what is the 8GB on the left for ?

[​IMG]

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    What happens if you go into monitoring tab and raise the max limit on those graphs

9. Saihtam

Saihtam New Member

GPU:
    Reference GTX 780
    Hi guys!

I have a weird problem with my GTX 780 in MSI Afterburner.
    I have unlocked both voltage control and monitoring in the settings and I can change the core voltage but I can't see it in the hardware monitor or through RivaTuner.

On EVGA Preicsion X it works just fine but I am switching because EVGA Precision X seems to crash my games which Afterburner doesn't.

10. Brandhor

Brandhor Member

GPU:
    MSI 980
    I just replaced a 580 with an msi 980 and I can't see the clocks/voltage i.imgur.com/P5xHlkN.png i.imgur.com/F0IOWOh.png (sorry can't post links/images yet)

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Go into settings, user interface tab and change skin to default MSI Afterburner skin.

your using legacy MSI AB skin and doesn't support boost tech of 6xx/7xx/9xx .

Also for voltage make sure in settings>general you have "unlock voltage control" with control option "standard MSI" .
    Then click "unlock voltage monitoring" option .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  12. Brandhor

Brandhor Member

GPU:
    MSI 980
    thanks, now I see power limit although core clock, memory clock and core voltage are still +0, is this normal?
    i.imgur.com/phjbLNs.png

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, GPU core clock is a offset method, along with memory and voltage , values of 0 is default .

power should be 100%

Of corse if you look at graph you will see true values of voltage, GPU /memory clocks while running .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  14. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Would it be possible to let the user choose which side of the main window does the monitoring window attach to?

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure, haven't got it installed atm since reinstalling windows, i`ll have a look next time if it does it again

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    right, the default on my end are 8gigs max so that is probably the reason .

17. Majstrzvasi

Majstrzvasi New Member

GPU:
    crossfire 7950 3gb
    For me this app works great for monitoring latest version instaled i think it is 4.0.
    I have crossfire 7950 and 2700k.

I record videos in windows 8.1 64bit using msi afterburner with intel Quick Sync .
    I remember oledr version and windows 7 it worked ok 60fps recording sound and video was in sync and video speed was normal.

Recording works just fine 60fps. Problem is video is playing to fast and video and sound are out of sync. Mybe it is msi 4.0 fault i havent tried older versions yet does anione else have this issue with the new afterburner and windows 8.1

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep that worked, thanks, not sure how I missed that option

19. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

I would normally blame windows for a problem like this, but as only Afterburner is affected Im posting here

The system tray icons refuse to remain visible, it's just random, even without a reboot they will hide themselves and going to the setting to activate them again, shows "Do not show icon" instead of "Show icon and notifications" like I keep setting them to

And more often than not, even setting them back to "Show icon......." it still refuses to show them, I have to disable, enable a few times until they reappear

This happened on my last install of 8.1 and again on this fresh install, no other icons disappear, everything else remains exactly as I set them, but afterburner just will not stay visible

Generally 2 of the 4 disappear, but not always, sometimes Im left with 3, sometimes none

20. Valkyrie743

Valkyrie743 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW
    Bug i found while playing call of duty, advanced warfare

RTSS overlay changes position while playing the game. happens at a few random locations. never seen this happen before in a game with RTSS enabled.

running on a windows 8.1 rig with a 780 Ti. i recorded this video showing the bug with shadowplay but with shadowplay disabled, this still happens.

this also happened in single player a few times. forgot where. i know for sure it happend in the second level. (only play the first 2 levels so far)

http://youtu.be/xvZNegLrfaM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.