MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osrok

Osrok New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 Crossfire
    Switching between GPU´s and displays problem

I use ASUS 144hz monitor from dual-dvi cord wich is connected to radeon 7970´s crossfire for gaming.
    For movies and such I switch to HDMI onboard graphics (2700K processors in-build HD3000) with HDMI cord.

The core reason why I use onboard graphics is that I dont have to worry about downscaling and monitor numerical order (and other minor) problems. I want my computer monitor to be number 1 monitor, not the TV and this reduces amount of time needed to set it up.

At this point there is no problems at all.

But when I switch back to radeon, MSI Afterburner seems to go a bit nuts.
    I lose fan control and sliders are not showing any numbers for core clock and etc. etc.

Im not going back to catalyst control center, because I feel like ripping my own head off while tring to play a wide range of different games with it.
    Afterburner is like a gift from ancient Finnish supreme god Ukko, no stuttering or other bullcrap like CCC offers.

Is there any fix for recovering msi afterburner automagically, (other than manually rebooting system)?

I apogolize for my poor english, you well respected gurus.

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    What about shutting down and restarting AB. No PC restart. Might that work?

Or creating different profiles for the two devices and switching profiles when using different GPU's?

3. Osrok

Osrok New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 Crossfire
    Switching between GPU´s and displays problem

I had to re-install entire windows 8, because I mistakenly used Treexy Driver Fusions health check and let it auto-install drivers for my mainboard automagically. Bad idea.
    Kept getting bsods right after restart. atikmdag.sys.

Now I use only the drivers asrock provides and seems like im back on track.

I have installed every update for the windows I found, including 8.1.
    I switched back and forth displays and seems like it works like a charm now.

Did not enable "without powerplay support", because afterburners clocks are the following:

Core clock: 500
    Memory clock: 1575 <----why is it at maximum all of time now?
    This memory clock probelem forces me to use profiles, and this is not ideal.
    I wanted this compooter to be completely automated as every fan in my system are too. Like idiot proof, but this isnt the case, now is it?

I have overclocked both cards, because the work perfectly fine with 1125/1575 clocks in games. But now with profiles.

The reason why I used "without powerplay support" is because my monitor went total haywire with 144hz. And I paid for that monitor speed, damn right im gonna use it.

I have a feeling in my arse that this is not over yet, some bug makes things work.. for now.

I will report back when I get issues again.

DO NOT USE TREEXY DRIVER FUSION HEALTH CHECK, atleast not with Z77.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  4. Sporkinator

Sporkinator New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7770 2GB DDR5
    Here's a bug that NEEDS to be fixed...

When recording game videos with MSI Afterburner, if the game crashes or exits while recording, the video ends up being corrupted and won't play. The crash itself is not Afterburner's fault, but the video file ends up not having the headers it's supposed to have.

5. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
    I posted this in the 3.0.0 Stable version thread, but I figured I'd put it here as well...

I'm getting this error when I start MSI Afterburner:
    [​IMG]

The OSD no longer shows up in games and I can't use any of the recording or screen capture features either. It actually started happening out of nowhere in the 3.0.0 Beta 19 and I'm really unsure why. I just started up my computer one day and it gave me that message, and it's still happening in this 3.0.0 stable version.

If I uncheck all the GPU monitoring options the error goes away, but then so does my reason for using Afterburner. It still works if I am only monitoring my CPU and RAM, but if I try to add anything GPU-related it says it can't be hooked. I've done several google searches but I could only find one other instance of this issue and the solution was to not use Afterburner anymore, which I think is a bit drastic.

I'm using a GTX 670 on Windows 8.1. I hope I can find a way to get this working properly again, other OSD and recording programs don't really meet my needs like Afterburner does.

I'm not running any other OSD hooking software and I've tried numerous re-installs, even of older versions, but I keep getting the same message every time. Is there a log or something I can post that will shed some light onto what might be happening?

6. somebody2978

somebody2978 Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 650 Ti 2GB AMP!
    I found three bugs in v3.0.0 (on Win7x64, GeForce v337.88):

- When you set the Afterburner so that it does not check for updates, this is verified anyway. It is annoying when you start the session without connection in the system, and an annoying popup appears notifying that the Afterburner update failed.

- The clock ("Show system time" option) on screen. When the system returns of a suspension or hibernation, the Afterburner clock on screen does not show the hours properly, it is delayed.

- The game crash when I close the Afterburner in the Desktop.

These bugs were not present in the previous version.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. turbojc

turbojc New Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon Sapphire 5770
    Hi guys. I'm new here, and sorry if there is something like this, but I haven't found it. And sorry for my bad english, I'm not from country that speaks english.

Ok, here we go. I bought myself new ( to me ) GPU. 5770, and I wanted to see what temperatures was I getting when I were playing, about one year I'm using Speedfan, and it's ok program. So, I runed HWMonitor, Speedfan, and MSi afterburner to see what temperatures I was getting... Here's the problem.
    When it's the full load I'm getting about 70-85c from MSi Afterburner, but HW monitor says max temp of my GPU is 65, sometimes 70. And speedfan says the same thing as HW monitor.
    Now... Is this some kind of bug, ooor Im just a little green?

HWMonitor version 1.25.00.
    Speedfan version 4.49.
    MSi Afterburner version 3.0.0. beta 19.

8. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    You're not using multiple monitoring apps at same time, are you? If you are, try using them separately - maybe monitor a known load separately for each, then compare the results.

9. Tech Geek

Tech Geek New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 980 OC
    Issues with RTSS and DX 9 Games

I have encountered a problem with RTSS and any DX 9 game. I work overseas (Electronics Engineer) and when I went away to work (Easter Day), everything was working correctly from what I remember. I was part way through playing Dead Space 2.

When I returned home a couple days ago, I attempted to picked up from where I left off. When I launched the game I got a message: Dead Space 2 has stopped responding, yadda yadda yadda. After some troubleshooting I narrowed it down to a problem with RTSS. In the Event Viewer it points the faulting module as d3d9.dll. I have confirmed that it only happens with DX 9 games. Any games that launch under DX 10 and above as well as OpenGL launch fine and the OSD works properly. I was using 3.0.0 Beta 19 initially, but I completely removed it and installed 3.0.0 final and the problem persists.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know it could be a problem with d3d9.dll or something else in the DX 9 files. It works fine if I go into RTSS and create a application rule and set the Application Detection Level to None and the On-Screen Display Support to Off for each DX 9 game. However this is a temporary workaround as I know that it worked before.

My gut is telling me that its a DX 9 problem (and thus unique to my system), but before I waste a bunch of time trying to fix it, I'd thought I'd see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I have searched through the thread (especially the most recent posts) and haven't seen anything like this. I apologize in advance if I missed it.

10. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Try reinstalling DirectX.

11. Learath2

Learath2 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290x
    This is still occurring and it seems like something about fan control as when it crashes fan goes up to around 50%. It doesn't cause a BSOD just a crash plus weird noise from headphones and computer is completely frozen. I am using the 14.6 beta drivers.

12. Tech Geek

Tech Geek New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 980 OC
    Well I sorted it out. Direct X was fine. Turned out something was corrupted in Afterburner / RTSS. When I went from 3.0.0 Beta 19 to 3.0.0 Final, I kept the settings when I upgraded. So whatever was corrupted was kept when I upgraded which migrated the problem to the new install.

So I uninstalled Afterburner and RTSS and when asked whether I wanted to keep settings, I answered "No" for both and then re-installed. After I set everything back up, problem solved.

Thought I would include this in case someone else has this happen to them.

13. luke76bg

luke76bg Active Member

GPU:
    7950 boost edition
    Sadly msi afterburner crash Dolphin x64 bit. I have the latest beta, and the 32 bit version of dolphin is discontinued...I hope the compatibility will get better.

Edit
    ops i see now the last version is 3.0.0 let's see if anything if dolphin crash again!

I suppose that support for control voltage for 7950 boost edition from sapphire will never happen right ?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    As long as Sapphire isn't bought out by MSI you're right. :nerd:

15. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Delete .... reposted on main forum

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

16. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    @Zydor: No offence, but what does his problem has to do with "MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion", which is this thread about?

17. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    MSI Afterburner ......... :)

He cant get part of it working, had a chat with him (I know him well) but cant spot the solution

18. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    @Sporkinator : My tutorial will help you !:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zlDS0f-x8&hd=1

It is in german though, because I'm german. But maybe you get what to do my seeing what I'm doing.
    It's time intensive though and there is no guarantee that you get all frames back if you use compression. The harder the compression, the higher the risk not getting all frames back.
    Uncompressed can be restored completely everytime.

The recorded file has to be in AVI Container.
    And you should record lossless, not lossy a)qualitywise for later encoding, b)efficiency for later encoding, c)lossless has a much better chance to get the very most of the video back running. how said: The harder the compression, the higher the risk.

It should get fixed, yes.

What me wonders is: If game changes resolution it should be a unawaited capture ending too, but no, that works. Just game crashes leads to having no header.

That really wonders me. So Afterburner has a check if game changes resolution?

It should be fixable. Other programs close the file if the game crashes.
    Has this maybe a performance reason why there doesnt exist such a check?

But beside of that:

The 3.0.0 final is just impressive.

The performance of this program is insane. And that you can even use the 64bit encoders of the vfw lossless codecs - thats really outstanding and awesome.

Thank you so much for this great program.

I also so much love its excellent overlay (OSD) and its great fan control.

:) :)

Maybe you can fix this little problem of not closing the file if a game crashes.

It must be doable, because other software can do this as well. So it is definitely possible to have a check here for this.

19. chf1949

chf1949 New Member

GPU:
    3x GIGABYTE 7990
    My first post, so go easy on me guys..

300 Beta 19 ran flawlessly on my 3 - 7990's. I upgraded to 300 Final, but now I can no longer adjust my GPU core voltage. Did clean install of 300 Final with no luck, using same settings I used on Beta 19. I removed and reinstalled 300 Final three times... same results...

I removed 300 Final, reinstalled 300 Beta 19, and all is well again.

Any ideas on what my issue might be? I see in another thread Unwinder said MSI incorrectly entered some data in their tables, and the board under discussion would not work. I suspect the same may have happened on my Gigabyte 7990's.. but that is just a guess on my part.

All help/info is greatly appreciated to help me sort this out so I can run 300 Final and have the ability to adjust core voltage.. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  20. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.