MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    GB WF GTX670(1337c/7000m)
    I have two questions, which are somewhat related.

1) Is proper voltage control for Kepler ever going to be implemented (i.e. made to work)?

Now, before you go telling me that there's no voltage control on Kepler, read what I have to say :)

Per the AB graphs, my card (a GB WF3 670, 301.42 driver) does not boost to 1.175V under any circumstances when using Afterburner (v2.2.1). I can put Power Limit to the max of 111%, and the Voltage Offset to it's max, and my voltage will max out at 1.162V, even under a full load such as Heaven bench or BF3 or ANYTHING I run. There are no temp issue, power usage is WELL below 100% at all times, etc.

Also, if I instead fire up Precision X, I see the same behavior. HOWEVER, if I also bring up the evga Voltage Tuner from PrecX, and slam the voltage slider to 1.175 ... et voila ... I see my card using 1.175V (on full load), and my max OC on the core goes up by around 30MHz.

Now, I really prefer Afterburner, as I've been using it for many years, and the evga voltage tool appears to be a separate application, and thus changes to the voltage setting are not part of the 'saved profiles' in Precision X. Therefore, I cannot 'start up' at 1.175V, I have to remember to go into the VT tool and change it after starting PrecX manually. Which is lame.

And I am not the only one over at OCN that has this issue, in fact there's another member over there with a card that caps out at only 1.150V on full load.

So ... any chance you guys can upgrade AB so that it works as well as what the evga guys have figured out how to do, so that voltage can be forced to 1.175V for those of us who's cards don't want to go to the max voltage on their own?

And more importantly, any chance that such an increase to the load voltage will be actually stored as part of a saved AB profile?

2) This may have been asked, and I suspect the answer will be NO, but ... will the new MSI 670 PE support voltages over 1.175V? I have a feeling there's going to be a LOT of people very disappointed who buy this card and discover there's no difference in how the core overvolting of the PE works compared to other Keplers ... given the box advertising.

Thanks In Advance
    Brett
    (aka brettjv, OCN Senior Moderator)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    What's interesting is that my one PC still runs CCC 10.5, but when I upgraded to Afterburner 2.2.1, unofficial OC got disabled. I think I'll have to put back on 2.2.0. (If I can find it...)

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    read your voltage with a digital multimeter plz.
    then come back and tell us agian what voltages are at in 2d and low power 3d and high power 3d (p0) with and without each software.
    That is if i read you right that you think the card can pick up 30 on the clocks with just .012mv differance

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  4. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Is there going to be any way around this.

This really gets me upset because I have such a good OC and like to have Afterburner deal with everything from profiles to custom fan, OSD etc...

I remember they took out the ability in a few drivers and then put it back in to 12.4... maybe they are just doing it for testing purposes while it is in beta?

I hope so.

5. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Hoping Unwinder or someone working on the rivatuner-core can find a solution.. or AMD fix the issues when they release the WHQL. I'll stick with June 14 12.6 for now, can't live without Afterburner.

6. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    Are you suggesting that the AB graphs for voltage are simply wrong on my card? That pushign the evga voltage tuner to 1.175V, which causes the graphs in both AB and Precision to reflect a resulting .012V increase, is actually a misread? I don't have a DMM or I'd do this test, but I find it unlikely it's a misread, frankly. Esp. the increase is reflected in both apps, and given that my card most definitely will OC further with this voltage level enabled. Maybe 30MHz is not 100% reliable, but it's at least 20MHz, I'm certain of that.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yes they are wrong not only yours but everybodys lol
    The reason is it picks it up from nvapi,at least i'm pretty sure anyways and the card has its own mind too.
    Now ab can show realtime voltage if you want but
    thing is noobs would freak out and flood the developer with"my voltage goes up and down" or "voltage is not where i set it" so for all familys it set up this way by default..
    getting back to realtime voltage and 6xx
    only seen for myself on 680's so take it as you will.
    The voltage will "max out" at 1.21v on ref asus 680 and dcII's with slider or not read on a dmm, slider would put it in p0 or something to boost it up faster over the card doing it itself later.
    Yes the slider adds voltage too... i use it to bump up voltaqe some on my hard modded cards...you have to find the right volt step thuogh or else you go backwards
    at 1.40v ab says 1.17 lol :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Wow and there isn't even a utility to edit the bios on these cards as a work around.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    To extend clocks past CCC limits, simply place atipdlxx.dll in the MSI AB directory and add -xcl to the AB shortcut, then reboot.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  10. BVALJALO

BVALJALO Member

GPU:
    Hrrm, this is VERY interesting news in terms of ramifications. In fact I even started a thread on OCN about your post, and I'd be happy if you could clarify (either here or there) that I understood you correctly :)

Are you confident that what you see in the AB graphs is truly a 'cap', as opposed to AB just displaying a constant negative delta vs 'reality'? I.E. is it possible AB is still precise, but not actually accurate, as opposed to there being a hard cap in place that makes the AB reading neither precise nor accurate, if you understand my terms there?

I guess a very revealing observation could be made from the answer to these questions:
    1) Do you never see > 1.175V even on hard-modded OV cards, even though you know via DMM that an OV even higher than 1.12V is actually happening?
    2) If your DMM shows voltage at 1.175V or less, does AB then display the voltage accurately?

BTW, what kind of clocks are you able to hit on these hard-modded cards?

TIA,
    Brett

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    1 nope highest in ab is 1.17v even if well over that
    2 no it does not show 2d voltage all three softwares i use are the same that i'v tried(ab nvi prex)

The party starts at 1.35v very little gained till then.
    The ref 680 i did not go over 1.38v since the thing is built like an 88gt so not really pushed too much.
    The non ref card with better underpinnings i do push up to 1.40v np and i can tell you this if ab lets the lightning go that far with software,boosting well past 1400+ on stock air would be np

its very easy to read with a dmm you know.
    i think this is your card here
    just touch the red probe to 1 of the tops on these row of caps,stick the black on your case,card bracket or any ground.
    if you touch two caps dont worry it may blackscreen just restart and pray lol nah its np just restart
    ref 680 for anyone who wants to try is along the tops of the row of caps that are in the same spot as this card
    [​IMG]
    what i normally do is solder a 12-16 inch long wire to the read point and hold it in place with artist putty so it dont pull off,wrap the end around the red probe,then stick my black probe in the card bracket.(its best all hands free this way)
    Just tin the wire with alittle solder get iron hot and lightly touch iron to wire where you want it(or just try with putty holding it there)
    since i have no case this is easy for me and since i have no life it helps me pass time seeing what app pulls the most voltage or maxes it out the least.

12. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    This utility is absolutely worthless for any 12.6+ driver. It seems to dynamically clock when watching any video that uses flash. At any point when transitioning to these flash based videos the whole display will become corrupted.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    And how is AB to blame for this exactly? People like you are annoying.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    I'm glad the Internet could bring us together in such a fine fashion. :kiss:

15. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    You have to take into account that it may be a issue with your tri fire config. I am using 12.6 and have no issue with flash. Once you run a multi card setup you are going to run into weird issues.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

16. sanjuro

sanjuro Guest

GPU:
    Gainward gtx580
    pls i am missing in afterburner new nvidia Frame Rate Target. I think it is great feature and i can only experience this feature in EVGA Precision X. Thanks.

17. harvardguy

harvardguy Member

GPU:
    3850 agp 256mb
    Warning! You are trying to display too many text ... in On Screen Display

BUG REPORT - OSD Problem, HD7950 windows 7

I searched this thread and can't find this issue. I have a 7950 card. I start up msi afterburner, and then I start up riva - because I formerly had an 8800gtx card in this computer, windows 7.

I get all the gpu information I could want on top, and all my old cpu information, load, temps - it's perfect.

But occasionally, the gpu information displays long text strings that make no sense. I have uninstalled the program before which fixed the problem for a while. Tonight the error returned. I got a Warning box on the screen that says "Warning! You are trying to display too many text information in the On Screen Display." The warning is longer than that, but it suggests I turn off some monitoring. I have to turn off ALL gpu items, meaning that everything in afterburner must be off - nothing showing Display in OSD - which leaves my cpu information coming in from riva.

To show you what is displayed, I just turned on gpu temp. Here is what it displays:
    340282346638528860000000000000000000000000000. It might keep going, but it runs out the right side of my screen - I have the osd on upper right corner.

Unwinder, it's some kind of bug I assume. Otherwise I'm very happy with your program - thank you very much.

Next year on my new motherboard, I will install the 8800gtx first, get all the cpu information working in rivatuner, then install afterburner to pick up the gpu information.

thanks again,
    Rich

18. rohithkumarsp

rohithkumarsp Guest

GPU:
    NMsi GTX560Ti Twin Forzr2
    [​IMG]

can't do anything please help

19. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    I have had to disable hardware rendering for Flash since I swapped from HD 4870x2 crossfire to HD 5970 (and to HD 6970 crossfire). Please direct your blame at AMD, where it belongs.

20. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Taking a screenshot using a hotkey while Ctrl is pressed does not work. The same probably holds for hotkeys associated with other functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.