MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darrencook

darrencook New Member

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
    Not sure if this is a known bug or not but after the computer wakes from sleep the voltage returns to default rather than overvoltage setting?...

edit: nm found fix posted by unwinder ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4080387&postcount=3 )

Might wish to make this default to 1 or at least make a note of it in the program....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. anDrasch

anDrasch Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    There are SuspendedMode related settings in MSIAfterburner.cfg file.

3. jjramos

jjramos New Member

GPU:
    HIS IceQ X Turbo 6950 2gb
    Unwinder please help me. This is my problem: After I set my overclock settings on Afterburner 2.2.0 beta 10 I closed the application then when I opened it again it shows the default setting not the overclocked one even though I applied the overclocked settings. The core and the memory goes back to default except the voltage. PLEASE HELP ME SIR! Thanks very much . :)

4. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Not a bug but I noticed the hardware monitoring graph settings does not have the GPU2 memory usage.

5. chill_i

chill_i New Member

GPU:
    NV/8600GT/512DDR2
    When i capture video from Atomic Bomberman, recorded video with MSI Afterburner is black with different colors (white is red, blue is black) like missing overlay or something like that. Video is named Desktop_2012_01_10_08_56_08_694.avi with captured mouse cursor. I think game is not recognized and Afterburner capture like desktop capture.

MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 beta 10, BM.exe (compatible mode win95, settings all checked, start with BM95.exe), Win7, nvidia 285.62 (8600GT)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. Likvid

Likvid New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5970 Black Edition
    Why can't i set the values to the integer i choose?

Like Memory Clock, if i set to 1000MHz and then hit Apply it will change to 999MHz. :bang:

Same goes for Core clock.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Hello Unwinder,
    Not a suggestion or bug report but a question. If i have 60Hz set on my LCD and i set frame limit to 60fps (no vsync enabled),
    should i experience screen tearing? even if fps are 60 all the time?
    Thanks

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there always should be some form of tearing (more or less visible) without VSync.

9. Thorokk

Thorokk New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7970x2
    I actually posted a thread about this but figured I should post it here as well myself and several other users are seeing afterburner report huge voltage spike 1.3-1.5 volts even at default clocks/voltages. I am assuming this is simply a misreading/reporting issue but figured I would point it out anyway.

10. Unwinder

Read context help prior to unlocking votage monitoring. It is locked for some reason. Read. Think.

11. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Afterburner Beta 10 - Memory Downclocking

Raising the issue of memory downclocking again .... a collegue has already received a response saying "its not in the spirit of Afterburner". .... that is a strange response.

The issue is card memory (in my case 7970 x 2 on crossfire. Beta 10 will set the desired memory clock on the UI counter, but refuses to reset the memory in reality which stays at default 1375. In gaming sense I can see some - if not most may want the maximum of everything, but thats not the case in Compute applications.

There are many applications that are light on use of card memory and dont need the bandwidth. To have the card stick at default and not go lower at Afterburner behest only ensures that power is wasted, and heat rises inside the case. That overall limits the overclock one can apply.

The ability to downclock memory is not a case of "against the spirit of Afterburner", on the contrary, it enables a higher overall through put on applications that dont need the memory bandwidth, saves heat build up, and saves power. All of which are laudable outcomes.

I cant see why therefore, there is a move against the ability to downclock memory - because for those involved in Compute as opposed to Gaming, its an essential tool in controlling the cards. Could someone have a rethink on this principle, and reinstate the ability to downclock card memory ?

Regards
    Zy

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  12. Unwinder

I'm afraid that your collegue misinformed you. I don't know who gave you this "principle of spirit" and gave the impression that it is controlled by Afterburner. There is nothing to rethink, downclocking is performed at driver or graphics cards side. Afterburner is not involved into it.

13. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Ok .... Profuse apologies , looks like I was indeed misinformed - sorry about that. To be clear in my mind, I take it Afterburner sends the "downclock" message to the card/driver and from that point the response is out of its hands (which would be fair enough of course) ? So the reality in my case is I need to dig further at driver card level to see why its sticking at default 1375?

Regards
    Zy

14. Unwinder

No. It is not sending any "downclock" messages at all. Clock control is not a dynamic process and Afterburner is not involved into it. It is just sending the maximum requested core/memory clocks to the driver only, when you apply new overclocking settings. The next dynamic clock control is done on display adapter side transparently and depending on GPU usage and other factors (running applications, multimonitor system usage etc).

15. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Okie Doke - many thanks

Regards
    Zy

16. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    It's a common misconception that fps limiter will eliminate tearing. Without vsync, you could still experience tearing since the monitor can display the contents of multiple different buffers (frames) during a single refresh <-- the very thing vsync prevents.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  17. Keepsix

Keepsix New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 7970 3gb
    MSI crashes every game i try to launch while its open. I have to close MSI down, launch game, then launch afterburner to get it to work in game.

18. Unwinder

Check other tools (game hook / other overlay tools) residing in memory, that's the only possible reason.

19. Keepsix

Keepsix New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 7970 3gb
    Thank you, i never though of it but MSI Afterburner does not work while FRAPS is running... sigh i guess it all comes down to which one i need more.
    probably FRAPS, because i can always use my G19 to monitor system, just sucks for reviews though. since fraps cant see my afterburner anymore lol

guess for reviews i could use a camera and MSI, and for gaming just use FRAPS, but that's a hassle. i bought fraps because it works the best, and now i cant use it for what i intended to.

Any other MSI afterburner like programs that work for AMD 7970?
    I need to have a overlay with Temps, and Usage.
    I would like it to also have fan speed, clock speeds, and FPS but those are not as important.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. Unwinder

Carefully read context help for "Stealth mode" in OSD server

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.