MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightningUser

LightningUser New Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi Unwinder,
    thanks for the fast response. :)
    Then I will also test the stability in 2D-Mode.
    best regards,
    LightningUser

2. kalawera

kalawera New Member

GPU:
    MSI6950TFIII+unlocked sh
    I unlocked the shaders of my TFIII with a BIOS supplied from MSI, even if shader unlock is unsuccessful(if your card is laser-cut), it will allow higher OC

but I have the following problem: with both unlocked and stock BIOS I can not change the voltage with AB- it stays constant 1.150 (220 beta3, low leakage, voltage monitoring graph missing, numerous fresh instals, using gpu-z 052 for correct voltage monitor, 053 shows constant 1.200, Asus GPU Tweak shows 1.150 highest possible, sometimes moving the voltage slider in AB causes artifacts on my desktop)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. ZellFk

ZellFk New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4650
    Hey guys, first time posting here in Guru3d, with a problem that I still couldn't figure out how to fix, no matter what version of Afterburner I'm using, the program never shows my driver version (using Catalyst Mobility 11.5), tried reinstalling stable and beta versions, but still no such luck to make it work (appreciate if anyone can help)

4. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    ZellFk: Since Catalyst 10.6, it has never shown on MSI Afterburner for me. With my Mobility card, I am stuck on 10.5. Yell at ATi, not MSI.

5. gtx470

gtx470 New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx470 1280mb
    So my GTX470 has gone insane, or MSI Afterburner/drivers/something else has.

I've had this card since December 2010. It's been problem-free. I reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday, and now it's developed 2 strange problems:
    - Fan speed shoots up to max randomly for a few seconds (this seems to be a common-ish problem and I can't find a solution)
    - The fan speed controller is reversed in MSI Afterburner.

I am 100% certain this is a software problem. I'm using 275.33 drivers, which I was about to uninstall until I noticed that MSI Afterburner couldn't properly control the fan speed.

This problem exists with both Afterburner 2.1 and 2.2 beta 3. Here's a video to show you exactly what I mean when I say the control is reversed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHS4cuFb8Qk

I turn the fan speed % down, the rpm goes up. There's a hard cap at 70% actual fan speed because I can't move the speed slider below 30%. However, I can drop the actual fan speed below 30% by moving the slider to 100%. lol... It seems my real fan speed (at the fan itself) is 100% minus what the slider says.

I noticed the random spikes to max fan speed in the ~3-4 hours I've been home. It may well have started over night or while I was at work. I was gaming last night and the automatic fan profile I created was working just fine then. No spiking fan speed.

That's pretty much all the relevant information I can think of.

The card's a Gigabyte GTX470 Super OC or something. Like I said, it's worked perfectly since December.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Perform cold system reboot, looks like negative PWM polarity mode got toggled in fan controller.

7. obra

obra New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 2G
    конфигурация
    core i5 2500k
    ASUS P8P67 LE(B3)
    в первом слоте PowerColor 5850 1Gb
    во втором слоте MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 2Gb

под дефолту Afterburner позволяет регулировать все настройки первой карты, у второй не регулируются частоты памяти (внешне все нормально, ползунок перемещается, Apply нажимается, но в мониторинге значения не меняются)

при включении UnofficialOverclockingMod у первой карты по прежнему доступны все параметры, у второй ползунки частот уходят влево и значения изменить не получается (ползунки перемещаются, но после нажатия Apply опять сбрасываются влево на 0, значения не меняются)

есть ли какая-то возможность изменить частоты памяти на второй карте ?

8. ZellFk

ZellFk New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4650
    That is relative, because I've installed Catalyst Mobility 9.10 back here, and yet it doesn't show the driver version, so it seems it's not exactly a problem with the ATI drivers only.

9. obra

obra New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 2G
    translated post #847:

system spec:
    core i5 2500k
    ASUS P8P67 LE(B3)
    first video card PowerColor 5850 1Gb
    second video card MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 2Gb

by default in MSI Afterburner i can change any parameter of 5850, but can't change Memory Clock on 6950 (i can move slider on any value, press Apply, but in Hardware Monitor window it still 1250 Mhz)

after enabling UnofficialOverclockingMod i still have acces to any tweek of 5850, but on 6950 i cant change nothing (all sliders stay on left side at 0, if i move them to any values and press Apply they go back to zero. in Hardware Monitor window values of 6950 are sticked on their defaults)

is any way to change Memory Clock value of 6950 ?

10. mute_ZA

mute_ZA New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 TF III PE/OC
    Sup guys, i have some issues with Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 3. I was told by a Moderator from the MSI Forums to come here.

Here is the full discussion about my issue:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=149700.msg1111216#msg1111216

To make things short i came to the following conclusion:

Silent Mode: Enables Core Voltage, and displays it as actual Volts. Displays ONLY Core Voltage as to the opposed Tripple Volatge Parameters

[​IMG]

Performance Mode: Opposite Voltage Display of Silent: "+0" and don't increase Volts when incrementing. Displays Tripple Volatge.

[​IMG]

So the one has what the other one needs...

I have the MSI GTX570 Twin-Frozr III Power Edition/OC

I have tried the Version which came with my Installation Driver Disk but does not allow me to make any voltage changes, i edit the cfg file and changed the values as follow :
    UnlockVoltageControl = 1
    UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1

but was still unable to make voltage changes(grey'd out), so i stayed with this new Beta Version.

Please note that "Silent/Performance" mode is activated via a "Switch" on my Graphics Card

Any Ideas?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

its how it is.. I have the same, i asked once because i thought its a bug or something but yea it is like so.

In perf.mode when you raise mV (in 6mv increasements) pay attention to the right, here it shows real voltage..

[​IMG]

to unlock voltage graph on the right; go to settings >> monitoring >> active hw monitoring graphs >> scroll down a bit and check gpu voltage monitoring and it will show up..

[​IMG]

its not checked by default.

12. mute_ZA

mute_ZA New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 TF III PE/OC
    Wow, i salute you! thanks, i struggled and struggled to get the Volt monitor in the right pane but was unsuccessful, but that seemed to fix that problem.

Much appreciated!!!

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    cool np:nerd:

hehe i was wondering that my self but i knew you can enable extra stuff there, so i went right on it and yea there it was:)

14. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 Ti G1
    Hi Unwinder.

Once again, thanks indeed for your great work.

I´ve been using Hwinfo32+RTOsd server with great success. I´ve noticed that entries coming from hwinfo have no "extra spaces" between the last letter and the ":", while AB's ones do have a few number of them. The same happens with vertical spacing between each line.

I post a screenshot cause I know it may be hard to understand just from reading it.

[​IMG]

Is there any chance that AB's values would behave like Hwinfo's ones? It would be great in order not to "waste" screen space and thus maximize viewing space while osd is activated.

Just a kind suggestion to improve even more this GREAT app!

Best Regards!!!

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Zero chances, sorry. Quite oppodite, I'd really want to see Hwinfo's text to be formatted like AB's one, not vice versa. Those extra spaces are actually tabulation symbols needed to align different width text colums, because many users (including myself) hate to see misaligned sensor values. So it definitively won't change, sorry.

16. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 Ti G1
    It makes sense ;)

Thanks anyway!!! :)

17. luijtjuh

luijtjuh New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1060 6GB
    Hey, I visited the special HWI-MSI Experience today, where some hardware tweakers get a chance to speak with MSI employees to improve their products.
    I stated my issue with videocard voltage and was told to put it up here.

My issue: My card doesn't undervolt when it's underclocked. So it's running at 1.075V all the time, because that's the setting i have it on with my overclock.

Specs:
    GV-N460OC-1GI;
    GTX460 1GB @ 850MHz - 1.075V

[​IMG]

18. WiCKeD

WiCKeD New Member

GPU:
    MSI Frozr II 6950 2GB
    Bug: Disables CCC Power Control setting on clock changes

I have 3 x MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II OC and I am using Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 3. I love the features Afterburner has and it looks like I could get some serious overclocks with it. The major issue for me is that it disables the Power Control setting in CCC. The cards throttle with just minor increases in voltage or CPU. Without Power Control, I get worse performance than stock using Afterburner than I do by just overclocking using CCC. Without Afterburner, I can't make any voltage adjustments. That's a big problem.

Compared to Sapphire Trixx, Trixx does allow the Power Control settings to be retained. Trixx has multicard issues, however.

Using CCC:
    [​IMG]

Using Afterburner:
    [​IMG]
    It is also not stable at these clocks. This is just to show the throttling issue.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  19. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    luijtjuh: Since that is a non-reference, non-MSI product, I think you will just need to live with it.

WiCKeD: That has been fixed in Beta 4, I believe.

20. WiCKeD

WiCKeD New Member

GPU:
    MSI Frozr II 6950 2GB
    Beta 3 is the latest, AFAIK, which is what I am using. Looks like someone was also suggesting this a couple months back. Would be happy to be wrong, though!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.