MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sswilson

sswilson New Member

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a feature, but it's not typical of the behaviour I've seen on previous versions of AB so I figured I'd ask if anybody else had seen it.

MSI GTX560-Ti
    Latest Beta version of AB
    Max overvolts
    Fanspeed=100%
    266.66 drivers
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    24/7 FAH GPU3 folding

In previous versions, if an OC was unstable it would either crash the app, or bluescreen. With this version, I've found that it instead drops the OC completely (still displays OC settings in settings window, but monitor displays default bios settings), and the app is then able to carry on without any action on my part. "Applying" the OC settings (still visible in the settings windows) does not affect the card settings, however, hitting reset / profile / apply does bring the OC back.

Has anybody else noticed this behaviour?

As I said... I'm not sure if I should call this a bug, or a feature. One one hand... the OC seems stable and I'm wondering if the error code I'm getting from my app is caused by the switch between OC and default. On the other hand, if the OC is unstable, having it revert to defaults rather than crashing the app or bluescreening is a great feature for a 24/7 folding rig.

Any ideas?

edit: hrmmmm..... just realised I've got the beta 6 instead of beta 7 (got the link from a "I've got no voltage control on my 560" thread). Maybe that's the issue......

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. MSI NGTX 470

MSI NGTX 470 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 470
    here my PCB
    912-V222-003 N470GTX-M2D12

and when i use the Beta 7 it change name to
    MSI N470GTX twin Frozer II with no Power edition
    and the unlock Voltage in not stable some time it work other time it want

3. jane_b

jane_b New Member

GPU:
    Palit Gts 450 Sonic 1Gb
    questionable temps

Hello, i have a palit gts450 sonic and before i used MSI Afterburner my temp at max load was around 77'C and GPU-Z says PhysX is not enabled. So i unistalled the nvidia drivers thru the programs and features function just as how Nvidia says it in their website. Then i reinstalled it and the first try said installation failed and i have to restart my system. After restarting i tried installing the driver again and it installed flawlessly. GPU-Z now shows PhysX is enabled. Then i installed MSI Afterburner and only edited the fan graph without really deviating from the default curve. So i played as usual and my temps at max load capped at aaround58'C and fan load was only about 50%. I remember that when my temps used to max at 77'C my fan load would be at 50+%. So don't you think it seems inconsistent? Im thinking it migh be a bad driver install or something. Please enligthen me. Thanks

4. erm

erm Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Hello everyone, I noticed there is a conflict between afterburner and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 5.
    in short, the Windows process named "system"when running tmt5 consumes 10% cpu and when I close the program, the process "system" continues to work the cpu and the only way to stop it is to restart the pc.
    however, if the afterburner is not running there is no problem.
    I added all the exe on the server exclusion (application detection level=none) but the problem continues...
    This happens with the beta 7, now I try to install version 2.1
    bb

5. LordRevan1991

LordRevan1991 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC
    On my system, screen capture doesn't work at all - I noticed this bug already in the 2.1 beta, although it works fine in Afterburner 2.0.

My settings:
    Hotkey for Screenshots: ALT + CIRCUMFLEX (I tried also other hotkeys, all the same result)
    JPEG, 100% Quality, are saved to Desktop

Afterburner 2.1
    QX9650
    GTX460
    8 GiB DDR2-1066
    Win7 Professional x64

6. circus2050

circus2050 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3
    Hello.After using afterburner something went wrong, I'm not blaming anybody.I have made this: gpu 750, memory 1025, voltage 1200. It was not working well so I did a reset.Now I'm getting stutter in games and some parts of the environment are just moving from left to right constantly.I can see this in Kombuster 1.0.7 stability test with post-processing, the middle of the furry msi logo is moving like this,just waving.Without post-processing is ok. In Kombuster 1.1.3 I can only see some stutter, no waving from left to right in this one.Can anybody tell me if my card is finished? or is there something I can try to fix it, if it can be fixed.

7. erm

erm Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    with the final version 2.1 the problem persists, though a little less .. System process consumes 3-5% of a CPU core even after i close tolamedia theater 5 .. very strange.
    I have another problem with kombustor, when set to opengl 2 or 3 and post-FX enabled, when I finish the test or benchmark output, the program crashes ... in dx9-10 instead everything works fine.
    Specifications are in my signature and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 and whql 266.77 evga driver

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  8. Smiling Cat

Smiling Cat New Member

GPU:
    HD3870 Crossfire
    2.1.0 Takes around 15 seconds to start at 25% cpu load.

Not sure what the problem is, but running it from shortcut or during windows startup it takes about 10-15 seconds at 25% CPU load before the program GUI shows up. Not running the OSD server. Also both Rivatuner startup items were completely disabled just to make sure it wasn't a conflict.

Running Windows7x64 SP1 CCC 11.2 and two HD3870s on a Q6600

I like the program and works just fine besides that. Quicker to setup than Rivatuner and the fan control setup is great with the really easy fan curve setup and running both card fans off the same curve. Plus being able to max both fans out when I want to vent my case right from the main GUI.

9. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    After installing 2.1 half of my steam based games crash on start up..narrowed it down to disabling afterburner. BC2 is the only one that seems to work. All source based games and arma2 are a no go.

10. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Scratch that..uninstalled new afterburner and went back to beta6 and same thing. Thinking it might have to do with the new steam update..that added screenshot ability conflicting with afterburner or the on screen display overlay..trying to get to the bottom of it, anyone having the same issue?

11. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    Left4Dead 2 worked fine here with Xfire and Afterburner overlays running. I tried no other software. I turn the Afterburner overlay on and off with ctrl+`. Steam with ctrl+bcksp if either makes a difference.

12. compudaze

compudaze Member

GPU:
    CF AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    Afterburner doesn't always sync the settings on my Crossfire HD 6950's. Sometimes, one of the cards will goto and stay at 100% GPU utilization (temps rising) when trying to set the clock but the clock speeds stay at stock settings. The 2nd card is at 0% utilization and has the correct overclocked settings.

13. Awaz

Awaz New Member

GPU:
    AMD/HIS 6950/2GB
    Same problem as compudaze. Once in a blue moon a restart with NOT put the second (or first - however you want to look at it) in 100% load. But 99% of the time, any setting change or a restart will put the second GPU at 100% load. Also, the sync box for similar GPU does not work. Overclock gets applied only to master GPU. The only way to have both GPU overclock is to uncheck sync and overclock each GPU separately. Cards used are HD 6950 on crossfire.

14. MSI NGTX 470

MSI NGTX 470 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 470
    the name problem with N470 GTX M2D12 are still there
    but at the readme it say it have been fix also
    my friend MSI GTS250 twin frozer name is also worng
    its just MSI gts 250 and the unlock voltage is not working?????

15. Zaim

Zaim Member

GPU:
    MSI 7970 Lightning BE
    I keep getting this error:

[​IMG]

using win7 pro 64bit SP1

16. Coco-Ta

Coco-Ta New Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX570
    Hello,

I'm new here but I have read you so many times...

I have a problem just with the Afterburner software.

I just changed my old XFX 8800GTS 320 + Arctic Cooling Xtreme 8800 into a new MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX570 MSI N570GTX-M2D12D5 OC. I was using before the Nvidia Profiler and later the EVGA Precission; but as I owned a MSI, I tried the AB.

I saw it was just the same (at least, in a first sight) as EVGA Precission, and kept it (uninstalled the other program, 'cos it had problems when running with GPU-Z and others: di not control the fan properly...).

The STRANGE THING is that it all worked perfectly... until last week system HD formatting. After reinstalling OS (Windows 7 64, as before), when I installed the AB (v2.0, as before reinstalling Windows), in the monitoring tab the "Framerate" was (and it still is) grayed, and it can't be chosen nor to OSD, neither tray icon...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, have checked the DX11 OK... but it is not available... Do you know WHY??
    Then, I have installed the v2.1.0 (now DX9 works... XD) and the problem is there, too...

I post a picture for you to see:

[​IMG]

Any clue (I guess it is something quite weird), I will be very grateful...

--Hope this is the right place...

17. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    If you click the actual greyed out checkmark to the left of "Framerate" it will enable the entry. If you just select it elsewhere in the line, it highlights it and the options down the bottom are all disabled.

18. Coco-Ta

Coco-Ta New Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX570
    Thanks.

I don't understand why it came after install with all the elements activated (OSD) but framerate...

19. zook666

zook666 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6970 CF
    hwinfo32

MSI Afterburner 2.1.0 crashes when i run hwinfo32 v3.70-1153?

20. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT / 6800M
    Hey guys haven't been on in a LONG time here at guru3d!

I have some problems with Afterburner 2.1.0:

First of all when I boot my fan is @ 50% until I either go into the setting and look at the fan profile and click ok (I don't change anything) or I just turn off and then on auto fan with the appropriate button. It will not just use my fan profile on its own right away.

Also I do not have official overclocking on and for some reason it will not drop my clocks down to 2d mode as they always stay in the middle mode.

One more is that the core always spikes to 3d mode when I change windows and especially when I switch back into firefox... it only stays there for about a second and then goes back down to the middle mode, but again never to the low 2d clocks.

Super great program, but I am totally bummed out Rivatuner is not obsolete as that was truly the ultimate GPU program and now we have a small chunk of it updates and simplified, but I understand it is a living now for you Unwinder so I am grateful you were able to make something out of your hobby.

Congratulations!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.