MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCAVENGER1

SCAVENGER1 New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5870 1gb
    well the things that have change since that thread is that i have a new cpu, gfx card, psu, and hard drives. and i have format 3 times since then which the last time was just over 2 months ago.

cause i got 2 new WD 640gb drives so i can use them in raid0 since my older drives where getting old. and that i went from a nvidia gfx card to a ati gfx card. so maybe that could be why it is not working any more.

but i do want to use afterburner since i have read it works better with ati then the other 2 do. beside i really only use it for temp monitoring on the gpu anyways.

well thanks for trying Unwinder

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Plain wrong. Anyway, you've got all the tips in the previous posting. Cannot add anything to it, a lot of people happily use it with ATI and once again, nobody besides you knows what additional software was installed and running in the system since the last time it was working for you.

3. SCAVENGER1

SCAVENGER1 New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5870 1gb
    nah it wasnt worng it was the evga gtx 285 sc was way way bad !! or more like junk !!! after 8 rma i got tired of it.

anyways the only i have as software goes is i have less installed this time around and i still use fraps cant remember the version its the newest 1 out since i paid for it.

and i use xfire as well so far every driver thats on here is the latest version even physic X as well. and far as the games i have some on steam and some on disk.

so far i have only found 1 that work with fraps,xfire,PT,AB all up and running before i start a game up and that is borderland and all 3 of the dlc. i guess if other have it working but maybe they do not use fraps and or xfire all at the same time like i do. so that could be why, just a thought.

well thank you for taking time to try and help me with this problem which seems to not a a answer to it.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Instead of assuming why, give a try to CLOSING those applications as well as any other application sitting in background like I suggested, and toggle Stealth mode option in OSD server properties like suggested in EVGA forum thread. Seriously, if you don't want to try to help yourself, I cannot do anything too.

EDIT:
    Probably I have some very special version of google, but it gave me an answer about XFire's compatibility with other OSD tools in less than one second. Ask XFire devs to allow apps to build hook chains, that what we did we ATI Tray Tools OSD subsystem to allow both tools to coexist in the system safely. If a develoepr positions a product as the only OSD tool in the system - you're out of luck.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010

5. SCAVENGER1

SCAVENGER1 New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5870 1gb
    well after testing with just fraps on and no xfire games start right up with AB on. but when i tried with just xfire on and fraps off with AB on games act goofy and then either turn to a black screen and then crash to desk top.

sorry i was going off what use to work since back then PT work with fraps and xfire on. but now it seems that xfire has done something which now it will not work.

i am sorry i did not do this before posting in this thread :( and once again you came up with what is causing the problem. well it looks like i will have to kill xfire so i can use PT and fraps when i want to see whats going on with the gpu in games. such as temp since artic cooling came out with the artic extreme 5870 air cooler.

i had 1 on my 8800gtx 2 yrs ago and it cooled like a monster !! but it seems this 5870 runs very cool with the fan set to 60% all the time.

well thank you once again Unwinder for your help, wish xfire support would do such things but to them there product is never the 1 that is at fault. even when i showed them proof in screen shots and videos that fraps was not the problem but xfire was.

i have been thew it with them on many instances in the past.

6. Associated

Associated Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 ti G1
  7. roman63

roman63 Member

GPU:
    Point of View GTX580
    It is hardware problem. :finger:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  8. Associated

Associated Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 ti G1
  9. erm

erm Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    I have the same problem with post-processing activities, with the older versions of kombustor there was no problem ... you are sure that the cause is hardware ?...sorry for my bad eng and thx ! :)

10. Associated

Associated Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 ti G1
    New version works great...

11. mrestine

mrestine New Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX680 SLI
    Driver Bug Perhaps?

I noticed what may be a bug in the Afterburner fan control with the latest nVidia version 258.96 drivers. When the user defined fan speed is enabled in Afterburner, the 2nd of my GTX480 SLI cards will no longer automatically down clock to 51mhz. It hangs at 405mhz instead. With this feature disabled, the problem goes away and both cards idle at 51mhz normally.

I don't recall having this problem with Afterburner in any of the previous versions of nVidia's GeForce 256 series drivers. I've noticed this in both versions 1.6 and 1.61 of Afterburner with this latest set of nVidia drivers.

Anybody else experience this, and if so, could this be an nVidia bug or Afterburner bug? I completely uninstalled Afterburner when I upgraded to version 1.61. Made no difference. I haven't tried rolling back the nVidia drivers, but I can, if it would help.

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Drivers not downclocking one card in SLI is hit or miss with Nvidia's drivers and the OS when in 2D. Even though I'm a rookie I just can't see the connection between fan speed and clock speeds. My guess is there is more to your scenario than your explaining.

Coincidentally, I installed 1.6.1 and 258.96 yesterday, set up a fan profile and with "these" drivers (in Win 7 64) the fan and clock control works perfectly with my SLI.

Weird for me is 197.45 drivers in Win XP (I dual boot) work fine downclocking but in Win 7 64 the same drivers will not.

I've asked Alex why the up/down clocking is hit or miss and he did not know. If he ever figured it out, I would fly to Russia and give him a big kiss. :mhp:

:hbd: Alex.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  13. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    Fanspeed control with decimal places just like in RT (when you set fan at auto speed) would be great. I hope you know what i mean :)
    And i really hope to see "override group name" in AB or just the option to remove the group name on the screen (i think that was alraedy suggested before).
    If there are already some possibilities to change those things i would appreciate some links/tips/guids about it.

14. mrestine

mrestine New Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX680 SLI

Yep, you were right. It was something else. I had several tabs reloading every time Firefox started. One of those tabs needed some 3d acceleration, but only one card. Closed the offending tab and the behavior went away with both cards idling normally at 51mhz in 2d. Sorry for the false alarm.

15. arn

arn New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5850
    i bought an 5850 in Oct, and i tested the idle power consumption with the overclocked card: it worked correctly (950/1100 -> 157/300). i saw a week ago, that the idle temperature is too high, and the clocks didn't go back to 157/300 (it keeps 400/1100). i read about this: it's a driver "feature" from months ago, don't work the powerplay with the overclocking.

can you correct this with afterburner? i have two ideas:
    1. clockreset after every 3d-2d profile changing. is it possible?
    2. change the clock and voltage limitations for downclock, and i can use a 2d profile (currently 1v, @550/750 is the minimal).

ps: i tested the drivers, ab works with 10.4 correctly, ati changed the overdrive in 10.5.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

16. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    Why fan control on my second 5850 won't apply? ..only when I start gpuz, it is enabled for 15-20 seconds and goes suddenly back to default

17. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    I had a screen capture hotkey empty which resulted hard drive full of screenshots :D

So i guess it is a bug.

18. bal3wolf

bal3wolf Member

GPU:
    Evga 3090 kingPin
    Not sure if others have noticed but if you run boinc and the the project dnetc on ati cards and have msi afterburner open your gpu usage will stay under 78% but soon as you close afterburner it jumps to 99%. My card i have is a 5870 but my friend has a 5850 that does the same thing it might affect other projects also im not sure.

19. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Seems AB 1.6.1 doesn't quite like my Sapphire 5970 (reference design) running Catalyst 10.7.

GPU1 temperature "-1", GPU1 usage "200%" GPU1 core clock "14 MHz", GPU1 memory clock "25 MHz".

For GPU2 it seems to report properly.

//Svein

20. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Disregard that. Wiped out everything ATI, reinstalled 10.7 and now everything works a-ok.

//Svein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.