MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Yeah true, the new Overdrive in 10.5 ups the idle freq, not AB related
    but this is:

OK just realized that my computer has BSOD with the error:
    A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor

when i want to overclock my vram over the official bios limitations, with enableunofficialoverclocking = 1... :( , the core clock seems to work tough
    it works with amd clock tool but when i reboot windows it goes back to default... blah i want moar juice out of my radeons!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    That BSOD sounds like a processor issue ;(

UnofficialOverclocking =1 does that.

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    I dont get it how, i managed to OC both radeons with another tool to do a Vantage run..
    Here is the proof,

I just want to get it 24/7 to 1200 using AB, any explanations why i cannot do it with AB?
    i will try to uninstall CC and see if that works, maybe there is not a bug but a problem on my side.
    I understand that maybe this bug is because my card is not MSI based and is logical for a tool released by AMD to work perfectly... oh well :wanker:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Explanation is pretty simple: because you totally ignore the documentation and blindly enable unofficial functionality without understanding its known limitations and ingoring terms of usage provided in the readme. There is more than clear declaration in application release notes:

- Added configuration file switch allowing power users to unlock unofficial
    overclocking codepath in AMD display drivers (similar to AMDGPUClockTool,
    ATITool and RivaTuner overclocking implementation on AMD graphics cards).
    Unlike AMD's official ADL SDK overclocking ways, unofficial ones are not
    limited with CCC clock limit but have some alternate disadvantages (e.g.
    PowerPlay support limitation)
    Please take a note that unofficial overclocking methods are not supported
    either by AMD or by MSI, so unlock and use it at your own risk

There are dozens of threads telling that unofficial overclocking way disables PowerPlay completely, there are dozens of threads telling that unofficial overclocking way has limited Crossfire compatibiliy and is incompatible with ULPS. There are dozens of threads telling you how to enable ULPS. And every week there are new and new users with "fix your bugs, it kills PowerPlay or crashes my PC". It is really annoying to repeat the same things over and over again, so I tend to remove EnableUnofficialOverclocing at all to save my work time and product reputation. That's not the functionality to be given to noobized version of RT. You don't like to read anything, and I don't like to kill time on discussing the same thing multiple times and defending tool against false bugreports. So its time to solve both your and mine problem. Wanna higher overclocking - spam greedy AMD to remove clock limits or ask your VGA vendor to provide you official unlocked BIOS.

5. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Unwinder, do you have some documentation about MSI AB command line switches? I know about -profile%d, -q and -m, the others (-be -dc -oc -u -i -dd -ed -ds -cs -s -mr and -cl) have some useful meaning for us, end users?

Thanks.

Edited: about the game losing focus, I've found a workaround (as a moderator you can see the original post, right?)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Nm..................

7. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    Bug report for 1.6 final

with the OSD enabled the steam overlay is broken. It seems that afterburner/the OSD is stealing the hotkey support somehow, as other programs arent working either (i have a screen capture program that complaints it cant register its hotkey as long as afterburner is running)

it worked in beta 4 i think it was, before you added the screenshot support.

8. Unwinder

Ugh... The next documentation reading bugreport. RTFM and enable <Stealth mode> in On-screen Display server properties. And search forums prior to submitting a bug please, simple search for "STEAM" in application forum could easily give you the answer (I'm not even talking about searching for "STEAM" in application release notes).

9. Unwinder

No, there is no centralized cli documentation and it is done on purpose.

P.S. You don't have to be moderator to see origianl post. Thanks to email notification system, it is always sending you original post if you're subscribed to a thread.

10. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    i tried searching, didnt find anything apart from generic stuff about steam being crap, gay, and broken.

will try stealth mode now... why isnt it enabled by default, if its needed for something as common as steam?

11. Unwinder

Seriously, try to read this option context help and use searcha at last.

12. ritchwell

ritchwell New Member

GPU:
    ATI X800 pro 256 GDDR
  13. theGryphon

theGryphon Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB x 2
    Hey Unwinder, great release with the 1.6.0 Final, kudos!

I have one feedback though. I have two GTX 470's and one GTX 275 in the same system, using the unified 257.15 BETA drivers. It seems like the Core-Shader un-linking is not working for the GTX 275 when you save a setting in a profile. When you unlink the Core and Shaders and set them separately and save it in a profile, it looks like it's saving correctly but when you apply that profile (either manually or using the 2D/3D automatic profiling) the Shader clocks are set to whatever corresponds to the Core clock when they are linked. For example, 648MHz Core is to 1458MHz Shaders for the GTX 275. If you unlink and set the Shaders to say 1670MHz, and save it in a profile, it saves just fine and you can see that it's saved correctly in the .cfg file. However, when you apply that profile, the Shader clocks are set to 1458MHz, instead of 1670MHz that you saved. I hope it's clear from my description and there is a quick remedy. Thanks!

14. Unwinder

<Link> button in both Precision and Afterburner is NOT a profile specific setting, it is a global thing affecting all cards at once. So you cannot toggle it just for one adapter in the system, if you have GPU with forcibly linked clocks (like any GTX 400 series card_ selected as master GPU, you will not be able to unlink it for any other card in the system. That's by design and will not change.

15. theGryphon

theGryphon Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB x 2
    Well the thing is it's working in Precision 1.9.4. I was using it just yesterday before I installed Afterburner 1.6.0. The same system, same video cards and same drivers. That's why I thought something was up. I'm pretty sure something is different between how Precision 1.9.4 and Afterburner 1.6.0 handle this but if you say no I can't argue. I'm just reporting the different experiences I had. Cheers!

Edit: It just came to me. Maybe the difference is how the clock speeds are set. I mean in Precision you set the shader clocks directly and as I understand that how NVIDIA has intended. In Afterburner you set them through the Core clocks and you (Unwinder ;) ) probably hard-linked them. Do you think that would cause the difference? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010

16. Moros

Moros Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 320MB
    Hey Unwinder,

I noticed that under Win7 (and probably Vista) Afterburner causes a windows pop-up because it needs admin privileges (same with RT).

To prevent this little annoyance you can use the Windows Task Scheduler to start RT or Afterburner. This way it can start with admin rights without the pop-up.
    Therefore I suggest that you change the code behind "Start with Windows" so that RT/AB creates a task in the task scheduler instead of an autostart entry.

The command is exactly the same: "MSIAfterburnerWrapper.exe /s"
    I suggest using the user logon as a trigger.

17. neilcaine

neilcaine New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5850
    msi afterburner 1.6 not loading in systray like 1.5?

When I used version 1.5 I had it set to start up with windows minimised in the sys.tray and also to show the gpu temp and fan speed. When I upgraded to version 1.6, I kept all my settings but now it doesn't load up in the systray when my system starts and when I check msconfig file, it no longer shows msi afterburner even though I've ticked the boxes in the msi afterburner settings to start up with windows and minimised in systray - just a bit of a niggle, anyone any suggestions on why this is happening with the new version?

18. Unwinder

Try to do a search for "StartupViaTaskScheduler".

19. Moros

Moros Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 320MB
    To find what exactly? That this possibility is known by you and other users?

I haven't found any comments from you why the Startup is not implemented that way to avoid Windows pop-up messages.
    I consider the task scheduler method better than the current one and that's why I suggested to change it in AB.

20. Unwinder

Just do it. I repeat once again: do a search for "StartupViaTaskScheduler". Afterburner already includes alternate power user oriented startup mode via task scheduler, which you are requestion, it is available for power users for a long period of time and can be enabled with configuration file entry I've mentioned. Use it as a search term to get more getailed info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.