MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

A few things to think about:

- Using multiple fan control tools at OS startup is not the best idea, and it give you exactly what you're seeing: last started tool wins and it will not be reproducable all the time.

Nothing else to add to it, you ahve all info to nail down and resolve the issue on your side.

2. laurent

laurent New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5870 1GB
    It's still possible that another tool influences fan control of course. As far as i know i did not install any other Fan controlling tools and i have a pretty fresh windows installation. Afterburner is the only graphics card related tool i should have besides the ATI driver and its own software.
    Also, the problem *seems* to occur more frequently now since i have (*or should have*) a clean system. I am using a very fast booting PC using 3 SSD and thought that maybe Afterburner was conflicting with the ATI drivers directly ? I was under the impression that Afterburner could be launching itself "too soon" or prior to obscure ATI logic related to the driver itself.
    Anyway my observation is certainly a big shot in the dark and obscure enough on its own. First and foremost i am not wanting to insist on this one. Afterburner is a very nice tool.

3. Unwinder

Hint: ATI driver have builtin fan control panel, which you can unlock due to some reason and cause fan speed to be set by ATI driver at each startup. Nothing more to add, really won't like to return to old story anf start beating this dead horse again,.

4. laurent

laurent New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5870 1GB
    Я не использую этую функциональность в ATI control panel. Всё отключён. Ничего не хочу добавить.

5. Unwinder

Моя твоя хорошо понимать. Твоя моя нихт фирштейн. ;)

6. laurent

laurent New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5870 1GB
    Ага, я понимаю уже лучше (i hope).
    If Ati CP indeed interferes (while still being disabled) with AB a dirty fix would be to delay startup by creating a shortcut in the windows startup folder (instead of activating autolaunch in AB itself). Afterburner will then be launched a bit later (than the corresponding registry entry). Worked here.
    If things still do not help another super dirty solution is to use something like Startup Delayer 2.5.
    I could not find anything concrete about this problem in the forum so far.

7. Unwinder

There is special StartupDelay field directly in MSIAfterburner.cfg file. Added special for such things, and it was discussed a few times before. Search saves the day as usual.

8. Pandorum

Pandorum Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Almost scared to report anything, last 4 pages has nearly a half dozen people banned by Unwinder lol. Quit being such a ***** man, not like we OWE you bug reports.. just trying to do our part.

Anyway, just want to report that screen capture in 1.6.0 Beta5 is terribly inconsistent. I got a Marksman Headshot +465 today in BFBC2 and was mad that a screenshot wasnt taken. I did some testing and random running around after this in BFBC2, and of the 20 times I hit the button.. only 12 screenshots were saved.(20/20 on the desktop tho, I dunno why its so bad in programs)

Maybe some kind of visual notification that a screen capture has been taken? FRAPS changes the color of the OSD for a quick second. Just a thought, cheers!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  9. Unwinder

Do you really beleive that starting your posting with words about ***** who banned half of forum is the best form of asking and getting detailed comments on your issue? You do not OWE me any reports, as well as I do not OWE you any answers. Come back without "you OWE me support" attitude and get help, otherwise enjoy the silence. Fair deal.

10. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    will this version of ab work with 257.15 drivers or do we have to wait for ab 1.6.0 beta 6?

11. Unwinder

You can use this one, beta 6 will not contain any changes for 257.15 (but it will add support for improved voltage control API changes in 257.2x drivers).

12. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    Heil Unwinder
    :rock:

just JK please dont ban me
    thanks for the reply

13. Pandorum

Pandorum Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    Lol, silent about what exactly.. the fact that there's issues with the screen capture? Well fine, if you want to ignore that its your prerogative. Maybe one day you'll realize people are doing you favors by reporting their findings, and that it wouldn't kill you to be a little nicer ;p

More testing revealed another issue. Not only are screens not being taken at certain points, but I was able to recreate an error that took screens that were blank white. Hit the keybind 3 times at the end screen of a BFBC2 match, this is what I got:

[​IMG]

Note the timestamps in the file names, not sure why the first two registered as the desktop when I was in the game for both. Feel free to fix this in silence if you're sore at me. :banana: Cheers mate~

14. Unwinder

About avoiding having any deals with users coming here with "hey, you're such a *****, and we don't OWE you anything, and now spend your time to help us" attitude. Your parents should install that simple thing into your head. Asking anyone to help you this way will not work.
    Anyway, my bad, had to detect troublemaker from the beginning of your first post here and leave you alone. Maybe one day you'll realize why some people are getting help here and why those who start their _help_requests_ from attacks are being ignored.

15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    There are some small problems with the stable 1.5.1 and the ATI 10.5 drivers, it seems that some users, including me, have the 2D clocks going from 150 mem and 300 core too 1200 and 400.

16. Unwinder

Afterburner is not handling downclocking neither on AMD nor on NVIDIA hardware, it is AMD driver's and PowerPlay microcontroller's job in your case. So if you don't like something in that area, address that to AMD, sorry.

17. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Damit... ATI drivers getting messed up again.. :(
    thank you,

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  18. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    So... how about an "advanced users" customisation interface like there was in RivaTuner?

Like for extending voltage range and GPU core clock range (at your very own risk of course).

Cards like this backup card (5670) can easily go over the Afterburner limit and stay well within thermal specifications, so It'd be nice to be able to push the card higher without resorting to BIOS mods.

Unfortunately, RivaTuner doesn't support the 5000 series, so...

Just a suggestion. It would bring even more users to Afterburner and MSI products.

19. Unwinder

Sorry, but the chances to see that are equal to zero. MSI define allowed voltage and clock limits for each model, it is their responsibility affecting RMA rate so users will not be able to edit it under any conditions.

20. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Maybe I'm just doing things wrong, but it seems that if I set a custom clock on my ATI 5850, it no longer goes back to "idle clocks" when not being loaded, but keeps the overclocked state? I seem to remember that 1.5 went back to idle-clock as it should?

//Svein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.