1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Ah, I see. It would have been handy to see one for what the pagefile really was doing when I was near max 8GB ram when playing Quake Champions.

So what is the ram setting then that doesn't report correctly? Or I'm simply not reading it right...

2. project13et

project13et Member

GPU:
    RX580
    And just because was not designed it means it can't be improved? We didn't got fire in the begin, or medicine or super computers at home. Was afterburner build for miners or graphic stations ? it was build for gamers with no SLI or CrossFire in the begin.. but still GPU's sells increase with 30% because of miners in the last period.. so there is demand in the market.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Try to read unofficial overclocking EULA.

4. Shabadoo

Shabadoo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Aorus XTR RX580
    Did AMD give up and go back on their new implementation?

I can control things again with MSI AB 4.3.0
    [​IMG]

GPU-Z works again as well.

5. psolord

psolord Active Member

GPU:
    1070/970/7950/5850
    You are correct my friends. I fell for it like an idiot.

The scrollbar had moved a notch and I didn't notice, so I was looking at the wrong graphs. Dementia is starting to knock on my door. (but in my defense the screen is a good distance away at this time)

thanks

6. Unwinder

Please just stay away from AB threads, "unstable" AB is not for you. It is unbelievable how low people tend to react when their "important" suggestions are not being satisfied. ;)

7. inouext

inouext Member Guru

GPU:
    R7 Series
    @Unwinder.
    With the Destiny 2 Beta released today MSI AB don't work with the game.
    As stated here https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101 and also tried myself with 4.4.0 Beta 12.
    Any way to circumvent this limitation?

Another question is that i have a APU - 7860k and AB list 5 cards, it's that normal? Beside that all works ok.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  8. Unwinder

Rather weird question. Do you see Bungie's official statement on their anticheat? Do you understand that attempts to "circumvent this limitation" are equal to breaking the anicheat?

9. sladder

sladder New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX570/4Gb
    I use the Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 16 for overclocking/undeclocking and the OverdriveNTool 0.1.7 for undervolting GPU. Driver is Crimson BETA for Blockchain (seems to have new API as 17.7.2). The Core Voltage disabled in AB (because it does in ONT).

1. Apply new lower voltage in ONT
    2. Start AB then load profile. Seem to be OK, new setting appears
    3. Start a miner.
    4. Got a GPU throttling. Core voltage are very high and does not conform to ONT settings.
    5. MANUALLY (!!!) slide Core Clock slider (even for 1 point). Throttling stops immediatly, core voltage immediatly goes to normal and conforn to ONT settings.

Why?

Sorry for my English.

10. Zubkover

Zubkover New Member

GPU:
    R9 280X
    So I have a rather strange issue...
    After changing mobos from Asus M5A97 to AsRock 970M Pro3, upgrading to Win10 and installing newest beta MSI AB I get strange sensor pickups.

Instead of CPU temp I have data of some strange sensor, that hovers from 18-22 idle and under load max out at 30c and is labled as "CPU1 Temp"

I know for sure, that my cpu temp sensor isn't bonked - readings in BIOS, AsrockExtremeOC or SpeedFan ones are fine, but I'd love to see them as RivaTuner On-Screen Display.

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    So can't figure this one out.. MSI Afterburner was working fine last week. Windows 10 looks have installed an update and now Afterburner won't detect my GPU or CPU. Completely reinstalled drivers with DDU and also MSI Afterburner beta 15. Games run just fine but nothing with Afterburner is working at all.

GPUZ and other utilities show the GPU into just fine.. not sure what the issue is here.

[​IMG]

[edit]
    ok, seems it's the low-level IO driver which is causing the issue. Turned that off and everything works fine. I'm guessing something changed in the Insider builds which prevent that from working?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah, known issue with the current RS3 insider builds 16275, 16278 and 16281 Unwinder posted a explanation in the beta topic and there should be a updated version of the latest beta that works around the issue until Microsoft fixes the problem though the current builds are all a little bit too old to have incorporated the latest fixes so it's possible they've already solved it and a upcoming build will have this fixed again. :)
    (Priorities and such though they're in the bug fixing phase of RS3 now with new builds arriving every couple of days so as long as MS is aware of the problem and it's being upvoted on that feedback hub app it'll probably be resolved before too long.)

13. Unwinder

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Thanks for fixing Core Voltage Slider not saving to profile.

15. project13et

project13et Member

GPU:
    RX580
    They react in the same way like other people tend to react when ONLY there "ideas" should be apply. In the end is a supply and demand market. Regarding me don't worry I didn't come here to find a personal solution necessary for me, was a problem that was describe a lot in the mining forums. But again suggestions seams not be equal for all. Probably Moderators personal suggestions are weight more.

No drama here, respect to developers and to the work they do.

16. Unwinder

Moderators suggestions are weighted more? Suggestions seems not be equal for all?
    Probably you're missing something trivial?
    Probably unlike greedy miners, who are coming here and aggressively pushing their feature requests, those "moderators" in reality are actually those who is developing software and don't asking you to give anything in exchange? No need to answer, that's a rhetoric question.

17. Drimzi

Drimzi Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hey Unwinder,

Not sure if you have seen this suggestion but I would like to see it come to fruition, would RealNC's suggestion of having RTSS always limit the framerate (even if the fps falls below the set limit) be something you would consider adding as a feature?

He proposed a solution here that worked logically like this:

Code:
    If the frame rate exceeds the target, apply limit like normal,
    Else apply a small limit regardless
    It is basically a dynamic limiter, where the limiter is always limiting below the potential fps, but with a max limit to keep the fps below the refresh rate (for GSYNC).

Apparently hitting the uncapped limit has a lot more input lag than being limited, so hitting 231 FPS as the result of a performance bottleneck would have *noticeably* more input lag than hitting 231 FPS as the result of a limiter. This could be the result of the maximum pre-rendered frames. Limiting has less latency than even 1 MPRF.

This could potentially be a revolutionary feature.

edit: Mark Rejhon, Chief Blur Buster also has some suggestions for RTSS to have adaptive frame rate control.

Thanks for your time. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    tfam26 likes this.
  18. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    I am now moving my suggestion here (edited the original post):

Blur Busters here -- we used RTSS for benchmarking 240 Hz G-SYNC and we recommend RTSS for the Low-Lag VSYNC ON technique.

I also have two major suggestions for the authors of RivaTuner/RTSS to have two additional (separate) adaptive frame rate capping modes, useful for fixed-refresh-rate monitors:
    • Add configurable option to automatically slew the frame rate cap to a configurable delta below a (divisor of) refresh rate, so no configuration file changes are needed?
    • Add configurable option for predictive waiting. Blur Busters high speed video tests confirm it would be useful for RTSS to have configurable predictive-waiting capabilities, in order to reduce "VSYNC ON" input lag on fixed-Hz monitors. This would eliminate the need for users to configure a microscopic frame rate cap.
    Similar to what GeDoSaTo has done (It's not originally frame rate capping software, but it added that feature):

[​IMG]

This would enable very low-lag 60fps and low-lag 30fps, especially emulators! Some emulators have fast (1ms) rendering times so delayed rendering till 2ms before VSYNC....and avoiding VSYNC ON frame buffers; getting only 2ms lag instead of say, (33+2)ms lag.

Some people cap a fraction (e.g. 0.007) below refresh rate, as a method of low-latency VSYNC ON. But this creates an input lag yo-yo -- input-lag saw-toothing effects from traditional low-lag VSYNC ON techniques (the slow slewing of a 0.007 fps-vs-Hz deltas, as the frame cap microsecond-precision time slews relative to the VSYNC interval).

[​IMG]
    (From RealNC/Sparky posts on Blur Busters Forums)

The input lag yo-yo effect of fractional frame rate capping (0.007 etc) is often the lesser of evil over the "VSYNC ON" lag monster. At 120Hz, the input lag cyclic sawtoothing (+0 to +1/120sec amplitude = +8.3ms) can be better than the horrible traditional VSYNC ON lag which often is +16.7ms to +25ms of lag (2-3 buffer times 8.3ms), depending on config and tweaks.

However, predictive frame rate capping (ala GeDoSaTo) would avoid this problem completely. Even with generous predictive safety margin (configurable), much more than GeDoSaTo. Even half-a-refresh-cycle-before-sync relative to average rendering completion times rather than a single millisecond -- even an average fixed (8.33ms/2)=4.16ms lag would be better than the (0ms...8.3ms sawtoothing effect of fractional frame rate capping) and still far better than horrible VSYNC ON lag (~16-25ms at 120Hz or ~33-50ms at 60Hz).

The forced predictive wait in many software, often creates a predictable, consistent input read (mouse, KB) right before VSYNC time, for much more consistent button-to-pixels lag time. This creates more predictive VSYNC ON aiming than microscopic caps (sawtoothing input lag) while also tightening up the VSYNC ON pipeline (often in a relatively no-compromises-way for very-short-frametime engines -- those are very easy to predictive-wait). The safety margin could be fully configurable, including fixed/adaptive (to 90th percentile frametimes + margin; thus ignoring outliers such as disk-access-induced frame drops or other system stalls) -- the adaptive would make it adapt reasonably well to any gaming software.

Regardless of how the safety margin is designed (quick-to-program simple fixed-ms config option or fully adaptive to 90th percentile average frametimes) -- I'm even willing to accept this as easter egg / hidden config options / tweakers-only thing (config file only, batch-file profile loading, etc) for very specific apps that benefit hugely majorly from predictive capping.

GeDoSaTo (not a capping utility in its primary purpose) modifies the shaders which makes it unsuitable for competitive gaming due to rules against that, but RTSS/RivaTuner is more strictly purely focussed on capping, is often considered a legal tool, so it would be a candidate to receive the predictive frame rate capping feature to (A) eliminate need for fps-vs-Hz deltas, and (B) eliminate input lag sawtoothing.

Elimination of the input-lag cyclic sawtoothing would make predictive frame rate capping the ultimate low-lag VSYNC ON technique for fixed refresh rate monitors (And no worrying about 0.006 or 0.007 deltas between fps and Hz).

Hell, I'd even pay a bounty to the authors of RTSS to add predictive frame rate capping, if this was something I could pay for. Even if it's just hidden configuration file options. Serious offer, PM me or email squad[at]blurbusters.com
    EDIT: If you prefer not to accept funds, I offer to test anyway. If you wish, you can eventually add unannounced config options in a quick-dirty way, I'll privately do fluidity & high speed camera tests, confirm if it worked, then once working properly, you can publicly announce (before I say anything). Basically, free beta-test verification-test offer, to save your time.

Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon
    Chief Blur Buster

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  19. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Just a small bug, while in a game, switching from an afterburner profile with active OSD to a profile with no active OSD keeps the OSD from the previous profile in the screen, but, if the show system time option is active, switching between these profiles works correctly.
    Switching between 2 profiles that have different active OSD works fine.

For example:
    Profile 1 - Several monitoring graphs are active in the OSD.
    Profile 2 - No monitoring graphs are active in the OSD.
    Profile 3 - Monitoring graphs different from profile 1 are active in the OSD.
    If the show system time option is disabled, switching from profile 1 to 3 works fine, switching from profile 1 to 2 keeps profile's 1 OSD on screen (though the numbers don't update), same if switching from 3 to 2, profile 3 OSD stays on screen.
    If the show system time option is enabled, switching between any of them works fine.

(I noticed this issue when trying to switch between a detailed OSD and showing just a framerate counter through RTSS own statistics, but the issue exists even if RTSS own statistics are disabled.)
    Using Afterburner 4.4.0 beta 16 and RTSS 7.0.0 beta 28.

20. Unwinder

You cannot use monitoring profiles to entirely disable OSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.