MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I have just tested the new Beta 14 version of 4.3. With the Micron Memory Pascal cards, (86.04.26.00.xx bios version) The high memory OC greater than about +500 on my card, when the card is in the low voltage states is still giving a checkerboard artifact driver crash.

Setting a +500 or greater Mem OC is fine if the voltage is running above 800mv

2. Kulagin

Kulagin Member

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Well, in the other thread I asked if I can fix that problem myself because I thought that something wrong with my PC or something. And in this one I reported it as a bug/suggestion because it would be nice to have this feature work properly.

A lot of other programs work perfectly fine when I close them using X in the top right corner of the window, middle mouse button in the taskbar or context menu in context menu.
    Here's the list of applications I personally use and which close to tray properly(unlike Afterburner) when appropriate checkbox is ticked:
    • Steam
    • Mozilla Thunderbird(with plugin)
    • TeamSpeak
    • ShareX
    • uTorrent
    • qBitTorrent(and pretty much all other torrent clients)
    • Logitech Gaming Profilers(There are few of them)
    • Atomic Alarm Clock
    • Joy2Key
    • Fraps

And tonns of others which I can't even remember at the moment. I'm sure you have one of these programs on your computer. Go ahead and try to close one of these programs from the taskbar. You'll see that they don't close completely but they minimize themselves to the tray(unlike Afterburner which closes itself completely even when SendToTrayOnClose is set to 1).

I think Afterburner is the first program I see in 20 years of using PC(and in my life) which has option SendToTrayOnClose but still doesn't minimize itself to tray when closed from taskbar.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Try to learn thinking and reading. Probably then you'll understand WHY it is done the way it is instead of your attempts to represent your own feature request as fix for "improperly working AB". Feature works properly and as intended, your understanding is bugged and broken. I'm done with any discussions with you, sorry.

4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Since patch 2.10, RTSS v6.5.0 Beta 5 is blocking Steam Overlay in Evolve. I have to close AB, start game and open AB again to make them both work.

5. Unwinder

You have to do one more helpful thing: use search. It was discussed in at least 3 different threads, it is reflected in RTSS release notes. Don't be lazy please.

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Did search for Evolve in this thread and in AB forums, but except mine post it didn't show anything else.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The issue isn't with a game but the Steam overlay functionality in itself and unless I'm completely misunderstanding it's a problem only with the DirectX 11 API and newer. :)
    (So you'd have to search for Steam or the Steam overlay or just overlay as I don't think Evolve has specifically been mentioned but some other games have.)

EDIT: Or perhaps it was newer versions of the Steam overlay and changes in it's functionality regardless of API, I haven't kept up to date on it as I do not use it and have it disabled.
    (Still does a little bit of monitoring as can be seen from the log file Steam generates from it but it's fairly compatible though apparently there's something with Steam in big picture mode and possibly the Steam controller that also alters how it functions again not something I'm completely up to date on since I do not use big picture mode or own a Steam controller.)

EDIT: Think I found the post explaining it, I was a bit off.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5331062&highlight=overlay#post5331062
    (From my understanding a 15 second delayed injection trigger in Riva Tuner Statistics Server seems to be able to work around this but as of 6.5.0 it's no longer done by default - mentioned in the readme.pdf file too. -, there should be a tutorial for how to set this up posted in either this thread or the main 4.3.0 thread too.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I see. But it is interesting that it started to happening after game's specific patch. And it's affecting only Evolve; other games are running fine.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It could be that the developers updated the Steam API version that the game is using as that's not too uncommon, generally that's controlled via steam files in the games install folder such as steam.dll, steam_api.dll (Usually the most common one.) or steamclient.dll :)

There's quite a few different versions due to how often Steam itself is updated and there's also a separate set of 64-bit specific .dll files.
    (IE steam_api64.dll)

10. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I think have found what may be another bug in 4.3 Beta 14.

If you lock voltage by pressing L on a point selected on the curve, voltage goes to the selected value, clocks increase as expected and it all works well when you put the card under load.

After loading up the card, If you disable the voltage lock by selecting the point and pressing L a second time, then adjust the curve or sliders directly to a new overclock and click apply, the card gets stuck at a very low voltage idle voltage of about .3v. If you run say, Heaven for example, will start running at about 15fps and the core clock will stay at idle speed and not boost up.

The card will stay that way until you hit the afterburner reset to default button, when It will then revert to normal stock settings operation and start behaving as expected again. (Is that USM mode?).

I am not sure if the disable "L" function is selecting the base power save mode and nothing is coming along to trigger the mode change back to the regular idle operations or if it is the correct mode, after unlocking the voltage, but needs an extra command to put the VRM to the mode it needs to be in to be overclocked again.

11. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I just found this Nvidia technical reference for the Nvidia Open Voltage Regulator type 2 PWM VID for a 2 channel VRM that seems to be relevant for uP1666Q voltage controller installed on the 1070/1080 cards.

http://international.download.nvidia.com/openvreg/openvreg-type2-specification.pdf

http://www.upi-semi.com/en-article-upi-362-1566

Interestingly, the "Power Saving Interface Low Threshold" parameter that enables Single phase with DCM mode to save power, has a maximum voltage of .8v (Table on page 11). Below 0.8V is the threshold where the Micron memory artifact problems starts to happen when you put high overclocked memory under load.

12. AterDragon

AterDragon Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080
    I have similar issue.
    Rarely shutdown PC (using sleep mode instead), so uptime is long. Enabled prerecord in auto mode with limit of 3GB or 200s, nvidia h.264 codec. Was working good at first, but now encoder service run my system out of memory twice this week. Windows resource monitor shows 28GB commit memory and 1.5GB actual use.
    Any advice to solve this?

13. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    No input to help with your question but are you running the latest beta of AB?

14. Unwinder

Problem confirmed, I've just reproduced it. If you capture a video through the encoder server and close 3D application without saving video, audio encoder will continue recording audio in background until new recording session is started. Besides manual recording mode that's also a typical pattern of auto prerecording mode so it is also affected. The fix will be available in the next version.

Check this build:
    http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup650Beta6Build8609.rar

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  15. firion

firion Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    Anyone else having problems with it freezing their computer, requiring a hard restart? I googled it and saw some people having the same problem but no solutions.

16. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Not me. Uninstall and when asked to keep data if upgrading say no. Reboot and reinstall.

17. firion

firion Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    Already tried that. Maybe I should try an older version? I noticed it only happened when I put my new gpu in, before that it ran fine

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If your installing new card AB will make a new HW profile for that card, but maybe there a problem there.
    I would do a clean up of AM profile folder and then install/run AB.

19. firion

firion Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    Thanks, I'll try that suggestion, but sorry, what exactly do you mean by AM profile folder?

20. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    He means AB profiles folder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.