MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Non-OC
    Sorry about that. Anyhow I have another issue (two actually).

1. I can only increase/decrease mV in increments of 6mV. This is also the case in Trixx. Any idea why?

2. Same exact overclock settings in Afterburner as in Trixx results in either an instant crash running Heaven benchmark or screen anomalies requiring a quick exit to desktop before is crashes.

In Trixx I can get a stable overclock of 1390/2200 using PL +50 +96mV and fans to 100% at 60c (because I want the fans to kick in fast to make sure the overclock is stable right away). But in Afterburner the same mV etc results in unstable. Even at 1380/2000.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Hardware cannot adjust clocks/voltages in precise 1MHz/mV steps. That's minimal adjustment step of SMC voltage controller.

Official AMD Overdrive (or Wattman) overclocking interface and unofficial overclocking interface (used by Trixx and optionally used by AB when you enable unofficial overclocking in options) have slightly different clock/voltage scaling and memory timings adjustment implementations. So you're comparing apples to oranges.

3. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Non-OC
    It was the AMD compatibility options causing it I think. Disabling those in AB now allows me to get to 1390Mhz with no crashing. However in order to get it rock steady I require to get to +108mV (I've been testing and 96mV I still get the odd screen anomalies). Is there any way to extend past 100mV?

EDIT: BTW I can't seem to find a way to save fan profiles into the numbered profiles like Trixx does. I want profile 1 as the default profile to load at Windows startup and set fans as default auto. For when I want to select another profile I want to load a custom fan profile whether that is set to manual/custom/auto.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Tech Geek

Tech Geek New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 980 OC
    MSI Afterburner Android App

Sorry in advance if this has been asked already.

Is there any plan to put in the Temp Limit slider and the Link / Unlink functionality into the Android app? Presently if I set the Power Limit to 125% (I have an ASUS STRIX 980) in the Android app, it takes the Temp Limit slider (in MSI Afterburner desktop) up to 91°C even if I have the Link / Unlink set to unlinked in Afterburner desktop.

5. Unwinder

Android/iOS application developers are not reading/posting here.

6. Unwinder

Use search please. It was repeated many times that safe voltage limits for each card are defined by MSI and you are not allowed to extend them.

If you peek into the context help you'll read that it is a global setting not affected by profiles.

7. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Afterburner does not support 2D clock settings for my Radeon HD 7790 OC. I dont wanna have clocks under 550 and memory clock all the times at 1600
    All versions. Win8 an Win 10.

8. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    Hi,
    When I use MSI afterburner on my GTX 1070 inno3d in sli and a gtx 1060,
    when I set the fan curve to fix 70% on the gtx 1060, the led that indicates the temperature on the gtx 1070 stays fix green, while it should change into orange/red when I crunch with boinc (temp reaches 82C).
    Any idea how to change this ?

[​IMG]

MSI afterburner running:

[​IMG]

MSI afterburner closed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  9. Unwinder

Post that in your led control application support forum.

10. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)

11. Unwinder

GFE is a led control software in your case. AB has no relation to LED control process.

12. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    But the led are working without geforce experience.
    when pc is turned on colors are updated on the gpu card.

I think MSI, by accessing/setting the GPU makes the firmware of the card
    always reading the same temp value (looking at the color should be around 35 or 40 degrees or so).

13. Unwinder

I have nothing to add to it. MSI AB is NOT controlling LED.

14. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    Yes that I understand. It is a side effect, probably the gfx card firmware in charge of setting the LED cannot get the proper temp back. Shall I ask inno3d how do they poll for the temperature ?

15. Unwinder

Once again, you should not ask me about it as I cannot help you with third party implementation specifics. If I were you, seeing that I change fan speed and using a bit of logic I'd say that my LED is reflecting fan speed but not a temperature.

16. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    You are totally right !
    When I set the fan speed for the gtx 1060 (the bottom without led),
    the both gtx 1070 gets red colors on the led !

Edit: I understand now, the fan curves is applied for all gpu's.
    Edit2: I removed sync all identical gpus setting to seperate the curve.
    GTX 1060 should not be seen as a gtx 1070 IMO (chips are different).

17. Unwinder

That actually makes sense, LED is integrated in cooling system and it can easily be connected to fan PWM signal on that card to map color to fan speed without any firmware/software.

18. Unwinder

You cannot separate the curve, store it into profiles etc and context help is clearly informing you about it and telling that is is a global setting.

19. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    What I do is this:
    I disable the fan speed control of the GTX 1070 1 and 2
    and fix the speed fan for the gtx 1060
    And voilà, I'm happy, cause the small fan of the small gtx 1060 was causing the noise ^^
    Led's are again running on their own.
    What a crappy system they used:
    The fan gets the speed from the temp sensor and then they adjust the led based on the fan speed ...
    They should have controlled the led straight from the temp sensor ...

20. Unwinder

Nope, it doesn't work that way. The fans do not get anything from a temp sensor, they are not controlling themselves. Fans are passive and simply get programmed PWM signal from external PWM controller IC, which is connected to thermal sensor. So they have everything for easy display of fan PWM on LCD, but to map LCD to temperature they either need to install an additional thermal probe or implement it in software like some othef vendors do, so that is pure cost saving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.