MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

2. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Alrighty than. Could it be added possibly into the cfg atleast? I noticed black shadows are thinner than white shadows for example. Just wanted to adjust it.

3. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Currently AB is causing Vermintide to get stuck on a black screen at startup.

4. Unwinder

Check your system, sorry. It works for others and I don't plan to purchase it to test it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP379zTgimQ

5. NazarK

NazarK New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR5
    When under Windows 10 x64, RivaTuner Statistics Server doesn't show any OSD in Hearthstone -- I tried both the latest version (4.1.1) and the earlier one (4.0.0). Tried to change various settings, but with no success. Under Windows 7 x64 everything works just fine, without any additional settings.

No errors are shown and the AB seems to work fine as far as the overclocking and monitoring features are concerned. RivaTuner also starts and seems to function, but no OSD overlay comes up in the game output and the FPS is shown as 0 in MSI AB graphs.

FRAPS works just fine showing OSD under Windows 10 x64 as well.

Hearthstone does not seem to load the GPU too heavily and the FPS monitoring is more for reference, but I'm curious why doesn't it work under Win 10 x64.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. yafatana

yafatana Member

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390 nitro
    when open msi afterburner while edge browser is opened
    windows 10 will freeze completely
    and only a hard restart will work

7. war4peace

war4peace Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX970
    Thank you so much for fixing the World of Tanks issue with RTSS 6.4.0! You're awesome!

8. NazarK

NazarK New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR5
    After updating to RTSS 6.4 the OSD is functional again, also in Hearthstone :) Thanks.

9. Unwinder

Excellent ;) At least someone find the update useful.

10. NazarK

NazarK New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 1GB DDR5
    If you don't get much feedback, this means everyone is happy with your work. AB is the golden standard for GPU overclocking.

11. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Small bug/issue to report.

Some wifi adapters take longer than 1 minute to connect after login. MSI AB 4.1.1.7625 checks for updates before that if it's time to, so it will be unable to reach the update server.

Also, it checks on every reboot until success if the last check fails. Even if it's only supposed to check once per day. (Extra annoying when overclocking in the UEFI).

You should move the update check to two minutes after the application start It's the ideal time since the system and everything has loaded, and the user hasn't started much.

:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  12. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Unwinder.

I am using 3 290x's and in the monitoring tab, I have a place for the OSD for all 3 GPU's when it comes to usage and temperature. However, fan speed is missing for two of my GPU's.

When i play a game with Afterburner and RTSS running, the fans on the two GPUs (those without the OSD) are not spinning up as they should, and temperatures are going up.

Not sure when this started, but I know it used to work just fine. When I exit out of a game, the fans will kick in though, it's realy weird, and not sure if it is afterburner or something else causing the issue.

Any ideas? I did just install the new 15.11 catalyst betas, and I am pretty sure it wasn't happening in the 15.10's.

Fan Speed does show up in hwinfo64 btw. Also, decided to see if the fans would show up using Trixx and they did. I am wondering if this is something I am doing wrong in AB or if the new AMD drivers are doing something different, that AB doesn't work with?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  13. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    If you add the option StartupDelay=120000 in the section [Settings] of the "C:\Program Files(x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg" file.
    Does this still happen?

The value is in milliseconds.

14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I can't test. I ditched the Asus ACUSB53 that was the cause. Worst drivers in the universe. New adapter connects before windows can register it. 2 seconds after it hits the desktop it's connected.

I don't think increasing the startup delay is the solution though. Creating an update check delay of 2 minutes would work. 1 minute would probably do it for the 95% with this issue. 1:30 would be perfect, but humans like exact figures.

Also, I encountered a MAJOR issue. After updating Rivatuner I was prompted to restart, I declined. I was prompted again every 10 seconds until I gave in!
    :bang: I was trying to type god damnit!

I can see how that would happen though. MSI AB set to retry opening it every 10 seconds - when it tries to open when a reboot is scheduled this error happens. Really can't be ignored though. It's extremely annoying.

15. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    It is the only solution.
    Everyone can set it own necessary startup delay. Your thoughts of a good value are personal biased, but you don't know what is good or perfect for others, you only assume from your own experiences.

If you are using a WLAN adapter it takes longer, than a cable based network.
    If you use DHCP it takes longer than fixed IP addresses.
    If you have a faulty adapter... you know it.
    etc.

16. D1n

D1n Member

GPU:
    MSI 750 Ti GE
    Hello,

Overvolting has no effect on the actual core voltage.
    When I tick the overvolt boxes it unlocks successfully on the UI, but overvolting (from +1mv to +31 mv ) has no real effect on voltage, as reported by both afterburner hm and gpu-z.
    On a side note overclocking works perfectly.

OS > win 8.1 x64 | VGA > msi 750ti gaming edition | Latest official drivers (tried others too)

Ty

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Has anyone on win 10 after the november update had this issue maybe?

in witcher 3, I have to alt tab for OSD to start working. before the update, it would initialize by itself a few seconds after starting the game. but now it definitely requires that I press either alt+tab, or alt+enter. game is running in normal fullscreen.

18. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Afterburner might be causing crash just after startup with in assassin's creed syndicate

Disable it and the games starts ok ,using latest drivers , it might be the game itself and not Afterburner i don't know .

Thanks

UPDATE ,,,,,, changing to vector2D has worked for my afterburner crashing
    the game :banana::banana::banana::banana:

cant live without afterburner :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Just got a new laptop... actually first time I got one with a decent GPU so loaded up MSI Afterburner.

Noticed it isn't reporting clockspeeds correctly on my GTX960M chip. At boost clocks it just reports 540Mhz.

Screenshot showing OSD and GPUz
    [​IMG]

Model: Asus GL552VW-DH71 - Core i7-6700HQ - 16GB DDR4 - GTX960M 2GB

20. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    There's your problem. If you look into the readme.pdf
    If it works, fine. If not, meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.