MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Dear all,

Thanks Guru3D for providing this great space to us to discuss Afterburner here.

Please report your problem here. We will collect all bugs & problems at once and fix them in the newer revisions.

If any great idea or suggestion, please also post here.

Hope you will like afterburner. :banana:

2. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Voltage Sync or unsynced doesnt seem to work on my system :(

when i set the voltage only 1 of my GPUs is showing its voltage going to what i set it to in the software.

2x5870s
    Biostar Tpower X58 Chipset

next is a text error, showing in the information 1MB memory instead of 1GB memory.

next bug is microstuttering in games crysis aswell as fallout 3 and cod4
    i think the monitoring software is causeing it though i cant be sure.

i cant really use this awsome software to overclock
    untill the voltage bug is fixed.
    i can provide unwinder with any information he asks me to provide to debug this bug lol

3. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I love afterburner. Tried it with 3 5870's and all is well when it comes to temps and fan control,voltages, and core,memory frequency. For some reason you cant go above 900 core right now. Also, there are no readings for shader clock. Also, the fan control system stopped when I launched crysis. Just a couple things.

4. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    dam just relized when i select over 900core it resets back to 850 WTF lol
    why was this software released this early with all these bugs...

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's not a bug, it's your graphcis cards safety feature kicking in and clocking back.

6. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Im guessing you wrote evga precision and this is its progress so far?

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Doesn't sound like bug for me, sorry. If that's happening with Crossfire enabled then it is just of of endless "pleasant presents" from AMD arising as side effects of new technologies they implement. And you'll have to live with that. With 58xx Crossfire AMD introduced ultra low power Crossfire mode meaning that 2ng GPU is completely powered down when not it use. So any low-level access to is (including voltage tuning) is just imposssible because the GPU is sleeping. And claim about buggy AMD drivers posted here is also a side effect of this new Crossfire mode.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3293718&postcount=3

So you have to live with that, or re-apply voltage via hotkey assocated with profile on each 3D application startup (i.e. when the second GPU wakes up and becomes accessible).

That's indeed a bug, thanks, will fix it.

That's your misunderstanding and not abug, sorry. Any hardware monitor requires some CPU and GPU time to poll hardware and has some kind of stuttering. Especially multi-GPU systems, where multiple GPUs are polled simultaneously. To get rid of it reduce amount of monitored items or increase hardware polling period.

As I said above, it won't be fixed, sorry.

8. Unwinder

Shader clock readings are not supposed to be there with your hardware. That's NVIDIA GPU technology specific thing. On 900MHz core limit - don't forget about Overdrive limits. AMD are greedy and wish to control maximum allowed overclocks of each vendor, so digitally signed Overdrive limits are stored in each AMD VGA BIOS. You won't be able to overclock higher thab that limit (that limit matches with maximum allowed clock in CCC), thank AMD for that.

9. Unwinder

Please think before writing about "all these bugs" next time, such comments are a bit insulting for developer. The only real reported bug for now is typo and improper memory size detection for 58xx series (and I still don't even have a card to test it from my side).
    BTW, are not you that impatient guy who posted "when will RivaTuner 2.25 be released" a few times? ;) Now you have understanding why the products are being tested prior to release and that questions were ignored.

10. Corrion

Corrion Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS
    I had this problem on EVGA Precision, RivaTuner, and MSI Afterburner: when you manually specify a fan speed on any video card and put your computer in standby, it reverts back to its default fan speed after it resumes standby. Any chance this can be fixed?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009

11. Unwinder

That isssue should be fixed in display driver you're using, not in fan control tools. But as a workaround you may save fan speed to a profile and simply re-apply it on resume via hotkey.

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I'm guessing u need to have an MSI card to use this?

13. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Thanks Unwinder for the amazing work! I think this program is perfect. Do you think We'll ever get past 900 with a soft mod. Thanks!!

14. Corrion

Corrion Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS
    Thanks, that workaround works, but I was hoping there would be an automatic solution. I always update Nvidia's graphic drivers (running 190.x right now), but this problem affects my 6600GT, my friend's 6800NU, and even my 8800GTS.

Also, love the new user defined software automatic fan control (it's the only thing I really needed in Rivatuner), but is there any way for the "Reset" button to also revert the graph back to factory defaults?

Nope, just try to run it on your card to see if it works.

15. Sway Dizzle

Sway Dizzle New Member

GPU:
    Xpertvision 8800 GT
    I'm missing LCD support for my G15 like in Precision. Any plans to implement that? BTW very nice tool.

16. Unwinder

There are 3 ways to get past AMD clock limit:

1) Get new BIOS from your vendor with extended overclocking limits if possible. AMD allows some vendors to have higher reachable clock limits that others.
    2) Use AMD BIOS editors like RBE, some of them are able to override AMD limitations and edit overclocking limits.
    3) Use AMDGPUTool, ATITool or RivaTuner. These tools can optionally use advanced undocumented AMD overclocking interface bypassing the limits. However, keep in mind that this interface is incompatible with PowerPlay (so your 5870 will start eating 100+W instead of 20W in idle).

17. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Thanks so much Unwinder!! I've done it here through your software with a combo of tools.. fan at 100%

[​IMG]

18. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Why not to introduce G15 support?

19. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So basicly unwinder m8 for 5870 users the software is pritty much useless lol

if we cant access more than 900mhz then whats the point in anyone that has a 58xx card becuse pritty much any 5870 card can hit 900 core with out any voltage increese at all.

and about the voltage, its a pickle becuse basicly anyone with crossfire is **** outa luck.
    if they want to overclock useing your software that it.

dont think im not greatfull its a great program but its pritty much useless for ATI users.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What other tools did you use ?
    did you manage to get all your cards to up there voltages in 3d or just your master card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.