MSI Afterburner broke DX11

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Sarra, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Sarra

Sarra New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 980
    So, I play a few DX11 titles on my machine, notably Sniper Elite 4 (yes, it's DX12, but my video card doesn't support DX12), Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim.

I also play some non-DX11 titles, like Star Trek Online, Kerbal Space Program, and some other older MMO's, and Sims 3.

Last Monday, I played SE4, no problems, and after playing for a few hours, I quit, installed Sims 3, and went to bed. Tuesday, I went to play SE4, and I got the 'sniperelite4_dx11.exe has stopped working' on game start, after I clicked play on the pre-game launcher menu, and before the game itself loaded. I also got this in SGW3. And Fallout 4, and Skyrim.

I goggled this issue a few times, and the ONLY thing I could find was a note on a website about a January 2017 driver causing this. I'm not using a Jan '17 driver, I'm using a July driver. The ONLY advice I could find was to go with different drivers. So, I downloaded and installed the September stable WHQL drivers. Even with the new drivers, I still couldn't get any DX11 titles to launch.

I ran the DX9.0c redistribute package, since it can 'fix' DX problems, and when I rebooted, I started MSI Afterburner, and nope. No games would run in DX11.

So, I killed MSI afterburner and RTSS, and to my shock, every game runs just fine. I tried MSI Afterburner without RTSS, and nothing ran. I tried RTSS without MSI Afterburner, and everything is fine.

I reinstalled both MSI Afterburner and RTSS, and still nothing will run with MSI Afterburner running. I can reboot, start a game, quit the game, start MSI Afterburner and RTSS, and nothing runs, quit MSI Afterburner, and everything runs fine. Goggling this is totally useless, as either threads are from before the age of man, or about games crashing after running a while with MSI Afterburner running

What irks me the most is that this only started happening after installing Sims 3. This is the same copy of MSI Afterburner I've had for months. So confused... Any suggestions on fixing this?

Oh, I guess I should note. My older, non DX11 games run fine with MSI Afterburner running.

System specs:
    i5 4440 (stock)
    32GB DDR3 (stock clocks)
    EVGA 980 refrence board with stock upgraded cooler, no OC
    Windows 8.1 Pro on an SSD
    Games on an SSD RAID 0

CPU runs between 40-60c on the stock cooler. I run a custom fan curve for the 980, my temps generally never get over 62c, even in FurMark, unless it's really hot in the house to begin with, so I am positive this is not an overheating issue.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    How old is your OS install? What AB version are your running? This sounds like some serious issue in your system files.

Also your GTX 980 card totally support DX12.

3. Sarra

Sarra New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 980
    OS install is pretty fresh, July actually. Windows is on a fairly new SSD, too, and I've checked it for errors.

Hmm. I've just noticed my dual 1TB RAID 0 storage drive has failed. The joys of using an ancient hard drive... But that really shouldn't have any issue with this, no system files are on that volume?

And if my card runs DX12, then why is a DX11 version of a game trying to run instead? Is there a way to fix DX12? Hmmm... Time to do some surgery, and fix this damaged RAID volume.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Generally speaking you're better off running in DX11 unless you will be CPU limited which is pretty unlikely to happen on a GTX 980. Most DX12 codepaths are pretty terribly written for NV h/w and only show any measurable gain when you're CPU limited.

You haven't answered about the AB version.

5. Sarra

Sarra New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 980
    Ah yeah, my data drives are back up now.

MSI Afterburner version 4.3.0.9267 from 10-10-2016.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Try the new beta from Guru3D front page.

7. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    I had the same problem, Games would not launch from steam...they would crash with APPCRash/ Hashstack error and access violations. This all happened the other day after a windows update and steam client update. 2 days later on steam tech support being useless i gave up on them. I didnt even think to turn AB off because Origin games worked fine....I shut AB off and steam again worked. I just installed the new AB beta and rtts server and all is good now :) Cool new OSD now!!!

8. Sarra

Sarra New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 980
    I've been on vacation, so... Now that I'm back, I'm grabbing the beta now.

9. Sarra

Sarra New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 980
    After disabling some ridiculous feature in Windows that prevented me from installing it, I was able to get it installed and running, and everything works now, no problems.