MSI Afterburner and Quadro 4000 fan speed

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by arcus29, Dec 9, 2018.

1. arcus29

arcus29 New Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000 2GB
    I use MSI Afterburner to control fan speed. I set 40% fan speed and I forget it,
    i playing GTA IV and the card is 99 celsius degree and the gpu fan speed automatic 100% speed. Why? At 100 degree celsius automatic full fan speed?
    But i set fix 40% fan speed in MSI Afterburner, then why load the fan speed 100% when it reaches 100 celsius? This is a safety function in MSI Afterburner?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It is not a safety function in MSI Afterburner. It is safety function of almost any modern graphics card, manual fan speed control is ignored and full fan speed is forced once you reach critical temperature point.

dr_rus and arcus29 like this.
  3. arcus29

arcus29 New Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000 2GB
    Thanks for your reply. I calmed down. The card is 4-5 second reach 100 celius and on 99 celsius degrees again set 40% fanspeed only 100 celius set full fan speed . Could not have been harmed a card in this temp?
    The card works properly in games and everything.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It'll throttle / downclock first to try and reduce heat or at least recent graphics cards try to throttle in addition to maxing out fan speed. If the GPU temperature increases and it hits the threshold it's usually a shutdown to prevent damage but in the long run 80 - 90 degrees isn't dangerous but 100+ is a concern and that's also going to be the GPU core which means components such as the VRMS's could be up to 20 maybe 30 degrees higher still.

Now these can be rated up to 120 or even 150 Celsius but that's still a lot of heat which is also dissipated into the case depending on cooling. Blower style and it tries to suck in air and blast it out of the back of the case but the efficiency and effect of these might be lacking so I would suggest a higher fan speed if you use a single fixed setting. :)

Although the blower fans can also get loud especially once they go above a certain RPM so I suppose that's why you want a lower speed but that might be difficult while keeping thermals from going into a level where the GPU starts blasting full speed instead to lower it down before it has to shut down to avoid overheating.

EDIT: GTA IV is D3D9 though and not that GPU demanding compared to current games, ENB then? Maybe not I'll have to check what the GPU is.

EDIT: Oh that's a pretty flat GPU and a really tiny fan.
    https://images.nvidia.com/products/quadro-4000/Quadro-4000-med-elevated.png

And this?
    https://images.nvidia.com/products/quadro-4000/Quadro-4000-med-bracket.png

That's not a lot of holes for the hot air either. I can see how it would heat up a bit.

EDIT: And from a few searches temperature tends to run around 85 - 90 degrees Celsius. It might seem hot but it should be rated for being able to handle it.

EDIT: Down to 75 - 80 degrees and bit higher depending on workload but that's when the fan at default values where it ramps up as required. :)

Since it's a smaller fan though it probably spins up to a pretty fast RPM and you get noise from that so I can understand wanting to keep it lower but the cooling might not allow for going too low before the GPU tries to correct by increasing the speed to max as the first step to prevent overheating possibly also throttling down the clock speed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

5. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    Are you trying to destroy the card with heat in order to RMA it?

6. arcus29

arcus29 New Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000 2GB
    No, the card is work properly in every games and benchmark software. 99-100 celsius is not damage the RMA in 15 second.

7. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 4GB
    It's just that the original post sounded like you found the safety mechanism (100% fan speed once card reached 99-100C) problematic and wanted to let the card fry at 40% fan speed.

8. arcus29

arcus29 New Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000 2GB
    But, owing to safety mechanism get 100% fan speed, so the videocard is nothing wrong, working excellent , as it used to be. I'm setting it up to 40% but safety mechanism protected the card. The point is that there is nothing wrong with the card.