MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4 is it real ?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by varkanoid, Dec 20, 2020.

1. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    to be precise if u enable user fan control in MSI u can adjust it from range 30%-100%
    [​IMG]

if u disable user define fan control it goes 0% but u cannot use any fan curve thats how it's working on my msi 3070 ventus 3X OC
    [​IMG]

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    working as the nvidia api intended.

bobekk and Andy_K like this.
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I think I see the compromise solution, which can make everyone happy without breaking NVAPI specs. The idea is simple: combine default automatic fan control curve (which may natively support hardware controlled fan stop) with user defined software fan curve (which can only set fan speeds within [min;max] range allowed by NVIDIA VGA BIOS) and dynamically switch betweeen two modes when necessary. It will require some form of GUI in a curve editor, allowing you to tell which part of curve should be controlled by software and which one should be overriden and controlled by hardware. I guess the simpliest way is to leave GUI as is and add some new option like "Override zero fan speed with hardware fan curve". If it is not set, software fan curve will try to set real 0 fan speed (if it is supported by graphics card). If it is enabled, it will use zero fan speed zone of the curve to switch back to default automatic fan control implementation (so zero fan speed will be active). Yes, it won't be true absolute zero fan speed zone and default curve will still be able to enable fan in this GPU temperature range (there are 3 independent fan speed arbiters on Ampere cards: GPU temperature, GPU power and memory temperature driven, each of them can wake up the fan from zero RPM mode), but it is anyway better than nothing.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Are you sure you want to open that can of worms?

It'll bring more here that haven't read the manual or searched the forum.

5. Unwinder

No ideas. But at least it is rather simple change with no other side effects I can see.

6. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    just a question does MSI "ask" You Unwinder to implement features that doesn't "comply" with NVIDIA API but just works for MSI graphic cards like that "Zero Frozr" feature for example? Just a curious question nothing more

7. Unwinder

Nope. Zero Frozr just works out of box and MSI doesn’t care much about additional functionality for manual fan control mode, it is my ideas and I don’t know if I’ll implement it in the end.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  8. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    ty for that explanation and thnx for more then a decade of RT and AF development - AF in current state is most complete tool/app so it's hard for me to imagine what features You can add there :) (besides adding support of new hardware when etc)

Thnx once more

9. x7ensis

x7ensis New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 HAWK
    How do I get the latest beta for MSI AB?
    Link on the main page is not working.

10. Unwinder

Link on the main page is working.

11. x7ensis

x7ensis New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 HAWK
    Nope.

https://ibb.co/qFfYQYc

Edit:
    Lel just opened the same link in MS Edge and it's working.
    So it is working but for some reason it won't download it over Brave. :S

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  12. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X