MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 Available for Download

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Jan 2016.

2. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    @Unwinder
    see bug report thread

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  3. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500

Any news?

Thanx

4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Hey Unwinder-

Picked up a GTX 950 for a HTPC and Afterburner doesn't detect the voltage monitoring or controls for this card at all.

It works fine with EVGA Precision and Nvidia Inspector, but not in Afterburner. I'd really prefer to use Afterburner.

I'd be happy to give you any debugging info to make voltage control work on this GTX950 card.

Hope this can be fixed, been using Afterburner for years... would much prefer that to EVGA's crappy software.

5. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500

Hey, Unwinder, any new info on when the new version is gonna be available?

Cheers.

6. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G SLI
    What's wrong with this version?

7. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Hmm.. Unofficial overclocking mode without PowerPlay support doesn't work for fury cards?

8. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G SLI
    Oh, OK. Sorry, not having Fury boards I never would have noticed. This version is working great for me. No complaints here.

9. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Firstly thanks for MSI AB Unwinder :) .

Next a question, is there a reason why HBM voltage control is not implemented in MSI AB?

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    There isn't anyway to overvolt memory via software on AMD or Nvidia. For that you need to do hardware mods. Usually it's hardly worth the trouble either, I'd just see how far you can overclock on the stock memory voltage.

Also I don't think there is a way to do it at all for HBM memory. I've seen some people have managed to get up to 600Mhz clock on the Fury cards. But beyond that I doubt you can o/c higher.

11. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
  12. Unwinder

I repeat for the last time that I2C access to any voltage controller on Fiji is NOT reliable. If you assume that I cannot run my own I2C scanner on Fiji or w1z cannot do the same with Trixx, then you're seriously mistaking. Try to guess why it takes AGES to scan the bus on Fiji opposing to almost immediate scanning on the previous generations.

13. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    I made no such inference to I2C in my question ;) , so you are not repeating anything IMO :) .

I made no claim you or W1z can not make/use i2c scanner ;) .

I'm assuming the scan for I2C via MSI AB takes so long is due to SMC / I2C bus being monitored / kept busy.

My question is in relation to if you can implement through SMC, as you have posted information in this thread on SMC messaging via MSI AB CLI. Which I would assume is how MSI AB do GPU core voltage offset via slider, so I'd think a HBM voltage via a slider could be done?

I respect you for your great software which I use daily for monitoring :) , I may use it to test an OC "on the fly" but I do all OC through ROM mod :) for 24/7 use.

So I repeat is there a reason HBM voltage control is not implemented? like say:-

i) it's gen 1 HBM and can't take voltage meddling

ii) manufacturer/board partners don't want users to have access

You are party to more information than the average member, so was after enlightenment :) , I'm a mere padwan where as you are a master :) .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  14. Unwinder

iii) fiji SMC provides vddc/vddci offset control logic only

AMD themselves provide ZERO control even for HBM clock via official Overdrive API so you only have it via hack debug "holes" inside the driver accessed by third party tools. Why do you expect HBM voltage control to be easily available?
    Let's stop that please, I did seen your thread from day 1 and I'd comment it if I find it important.
    If ignoring everythin stated above you still want to use a slider in AB for HBM voltage via direct access to I2C and accept the risks and consequences, you can easily acheive it via third party database. It allows calibrating vddc/mvddc/vddci sliders.

15. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Thank you :) , so I'm guessing when I change VDDCI via PowerPlay in ROM it will apply? (waiting on a result where someone has DMM to confirm, I lack the ability :O ).

I thought that was the case as you need to use extend official overclocking limits to apply HBM RAM frequency increase through MSI AB. Anyhow I set via PowerPlay in ROM and match OverDrive RAM limit to set MCLK.

I don't, it was a mere question :) . It seems as if I've upset you, which was no intention of mine, so please accept my apologies with great sincerity.

OK, :) .

No I won't being doing that :) , I'll be using ROM if I require MVDDC change.

Anyhow thank you for your time and explanation, I appreciate it greatly :) .

There is only 1 other question I have, which I don't need the answer to really, but I will leave it for another day :) .

16. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Unwinder,

I hate being an old grumpy man and asking the same question for the second time but seeing as you seem to have "come back" to forums is there any ETA on the updated AB version that would support powerplay disabled mode for Fiji cards.According to you it was supposed to be released in Jan.

Cheers

17. Unwinder

Priorities in my real life have changed, cannot give any ETA.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I like the motto of "when it done" which is how it should be for everything, then again i dont see need for new version.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    time to switch to PX

20. Unwinder

Good luck with that ;) I heard EVGA have really nice siftware team ;)